Some answers to frequently asked questions...
How do you build your Wee Planets?
Please read the description of my Wee Planets set. It has many links and explanations.
What kind of equipement do you use?
Most of my pictures were taken with a Pentax K10D, or (since October 2009) with a Pentax K-7.
For panoramic shots I use a Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I also use a
Manfrotto panoramic head (303SPH), but with the fisheye lens it's
often easy enough to shoot handheld.
What software do you use?
I use only free software. I've been an exclusive GNU/Linux user for about 15 years now. I use tools like The Gimp, enblend, hugin, and mathmap.
What are the licenses of your pictures?
Many of my pictures are licensed under one of the following two
Creative Commons License in order to ease sharing.
1. Attribution Share-alike
2. Attribution Share-alike Non-Commercial usage
Beware that not ALL pictures are under a Creative Commons. You should be able to tell which license is used by searching for these symbols in the "additional info" block at the bottom of each picture's page.
The Creative Commons license allows you to display, print, and generally reuse my work as long as you play by the rules of the license. The abridged rules are :
1. that any use should be duly credited, and the license of the picture should always be indicated
2. any derivative work should be distributed under the same license
3. for some pictures (), you may not use them for any commercial purpose
Derivative work is when you build upon my work to create another work. For instance if you use my pictures as textures in a composite, it's a derivative. Silhouetting a picture to create a sticker, also creates derivate work. You may only distribute your derivation under the same license.
Simply reproducing the picture (for instance on the web or in print) does not constitute a derivative work. In other words a blog or a journal that publishes one of my pictures does not need to be distributed under the same license... However they have to credit me and state that the picture is under a Creative Commons license.
Someone who alters the picture to turn in into an advertisement is obviously both making a derivative work and having a commercial usage of the picture.
For credits, I prefer my full name to be used (it's Alexandre Duret-Lutz) along with a mention of the license. For websites, it's OK if you replace this credit with an obvious link to the picture's page on flickr.
Please take the time to actually read the text of the licenses before using my pictures, these explanations are by no way a substitute.
Where can I contact you?
Mail me at email@example.com.
Can I use your pictures on my web site?
I receive too many such questions my mail. Please read the previous text and get yourself familiar with the Creative Commons licenses. If your intended use is compatible with the license you do not need my permission to exercize a right that I've already granted you. If it's not compatible, you should tell me how before I can give (or sell) you my permission.
Can I print your picture for private use?
For any of my picture that is under a Creative Commons license, you can download the full size picture and have it printed for your personal use, without bothering about the obligation to credit and display the license of the picture. (Any distribution of the resulting print should however respect these obligations, because it's not longer private use.)
If you hang the picture in your house, I would really appreciate if you could send me a picture of the installation (or better: post that picture as a flickr comment to the picture you printed).
Some of my pictures are on sell on ImageKind. If you buy here, I'll earn a small commission. However you should feel free to have the picture printed elsewhere if you want.
Can I sell postcards, or mugs showing your pictures?
If the license allows commercial uses, and if you respect the rules of the license, the short answer is yes. For postcards, it's easy to credit the author and display the license on the back. For mug, you might decide (that's a hypothesis) to modifiy the picture to overlay it with credit and license, in that case you have built a derived picture that you should make available using the same license as the original picture. The idea is that anybody should be able to print the same mug without buying yours.
Regardless of these licensing issues, the reason I distribute some pictures using a license that allow commercial uses (like printing in a journal) is not so that other people make money on my back by selling derived products on a day-to-day basis. If you want to start such a commerce, I'd appreciate if you could be fair and contact me to buy reproduction rights.
- Maza & Gadl à Lisbonne - 2012/2013 137 photos, 2 members
- La "petite ceinture" 1,175 photos, 179 members
- Camping Jura - Août 2011 97 photos, 2 members
- Newcastle Upon Tyne group 7,224 photos, 905 members
- Our Worlds - Palmela 2011 Panoramic Photography exhibition 162 photos, 49 members
- Edinburgh 102,977 photos, 4,825 members
- Pictures of Gard - Images du Gard - France 21,698 photos, 389 members
- Triptychs 14,038 photos, 4,266 members
- Rajasthan, the COLOUR state 11,606 photos, 745 members
- Panoramic Portraits 273 photos, 41 members
- G'MIC 3,564 photos, 612 members
- Macau 15,727 photos, 923 members
- Tower Bridge 4,209 photos, 1,094 members
- Roma - Rome 86,142 photos, 8,613 members
- Big Ben 4,004 photos, 1,538 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,341 photos, 712 members
- The London Eye 12,677 photos, 3,634 members
- Stop Motion And Time-Lapse 2,013 photos, 813 members
- HD Videos on Flickr 2,516 photos, 977 members
- Long Photo (Panorama Videos) 115 photos, 44 members
- HDR Equirectangular 445 photos, 63 members
- MBC Paris 2009 204 photos, 10 members
- Vincennes Château - Castle 724 photos, 97 members
- Games, Board and Otherwise 5,987 photos, 1,415 members
- Chocolate Beans 81 photos, 58 members
- 94 Val de Marne 1,713 photos, 72 members
- Auvers-sur-Oise 531 photos, 42 members
- Airports: SXM / TNCM 1,937 photos, 282 members
- Mr. CHAT 1,189 photos, 272 members
- Camping in France 2,826 photos, 289 members
- MBC Toulouse - Septembre 2008 42 photos, 5 members
- Hérault ... orama 9,460 photos, 314 members
- Bordeaux et C.U.B. 11,083 photos, 1,120 members
- MBC Strasbourg 2007 225 photos, 9 members
- BC NSS...Bookcrossing parcels....RABCK gifts 283 photos, 70 members
- Cubes 486 photos, 138 members
- Extremely Large Panoramas 10,000x minimum 1,623 photos, 636 members
- Foldables 647 photos, 67 members
- Bratislava 10,215 photos, 1,088 members
- St-Étienne-du-Mont 128 photos, 21 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 18,941 photos, 371 members
- Polar weirdness 918 photos, 153 members
- 9::16 Tallscreen 314 photos, 34 members
- Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm 4,120 photos, 300 members
- Amelie Poulain 2,055 photos, 551 members
- Paris B&W (rules apply) 57,508 photos, 9,435 members
- Strobist.com 587,041 photos, 117,218 members
- Shakespeare and Company 843 photos, 270 members
- Stereographic Projections 9,443 photos, 1,175 members
- Paris 360° Panoramas 650 photos, 78 members
"Always on the lookout for a new and creative way to entertain us all, Alexandre has one of those few photostreams that makes people click on every new photo, in case there is something more interesting and fun than what the thumbnail shows -and there always is!"
2nd November, 2006
"Alexandre's photos are consistently creative. The often keep me looking a little longer than the average photo, and often require a second or third visit.
He certainly has a wonderful style with a mathematical / geeky tilt (in a good way). And having his photo's in my contacts' stream has paid off again and again."
31st October, 2006
- Alexandre Duret-Lutz
- December 2005
- Paris, France
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Computer Science
- home page