I'm a widower; my wife, Valerie, died in 2003. (My car number plate is GE04 VAL ) In 2005-6 I took a course in photography at East Surrey College, but I've been taking photographs for years. I've changed my name on flickr from funfilledgeorgie as I thought that it was pretty silly, but I'm still full of fun - some of the time. Despite the birthday counter having clicked 70 I'm still waiting to become a grown up sensible sort of chap :)
Since joining flickr, and especially since becoming a moderator on the 365 Days self-portrait group, I've found a way of spending FAR too long at the computer but very many people have seen my photos, and have commented on them, and I've seen so much that I'd never have been able to see otherwise :)
But it (Ordinary Language Philosophy) was quite obvious to me it was wrong. It was obvious to me the moment I came across it, although initially, if your entire environment, and all the bright people in it, hold something to be true, you assume you must be wrong, not understanding it properly, and they must be right. And so I explored it further and finally came to the conclusion that I did understand it right, and it was rubbish, which indeed it is."
—Ernest Gellner, Interview with John Davis, 1991
- Show us the contents of your bag, purse, wallet and pocket 2,203 photos, 1,288 members
- moleskine, filofax, agendas, diaries, organizers 668 photos, 58 members
- Mi taza - My cup 401 photos, 222 members
- Drinking Fountains 500 photos, 197 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 336 photos, 65 members
- Signatures 22 photos, 23 members
- Having A Bad Day? 27 photos, 17 members
- Good Mail Days 1,417 photos, 257 members
- JESUS AS A FRIEND 345 photos, 16 members
- Literary Britain and Ireland 4,993 photos, 250 members
- FLICKR! GOES VIDEO! VIDEO! VIDEO! VIDEO 4,274 photos, 739 members
- Finger Pistols: A common affliction 40 photos, 8 members
- Monopoly 157 photos, 32 members
- Interpreting Beatles songs 1,085 photos, 381 members
- The Ministry Of Silly Walks 67 photos, 57 members
- Inspired by the film........ 1,003 photos, 271 members
- Left of Center 356 photos, 66 members
- Doctors and Cameras and Zebras, Oh My! 28 photos, 12 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 244,685 photos, 19,923 members
- Mirror Portraits (people; not cameras) 879 photos, 1,589 members
- Tooth Paste and Tooth brush 167 photos, 228 members
- Shadow Self-Portraits 739 photos, 299 members
- Meal of the day 14 photos, 9 members
- Gumshoe Detectives 29 photos, 23 members
- Orange Lovers 1,938 photos, 186 members
- All Things Pink 24 photos, 11 members
- Under the Table Friday 61 photos, 23 members
- Ears 787 photos, 201 members
- Wheels Go Round 356 photos, 80 members
- My Cluttered Desk 996 photos, 558 members
- anti fashion - trashy fashion 19 photos, 8 members
- SCHOOL, Holy Crap! When is it Over? 956 photos, 301 members
- kitchen gadgets 1,412 photos, 337 members
- My Sunday 69 photos, 25 members
- The Love of MONEY 2,621 photos, 470 members
- stationery junkies 13,454 photos, 1,978 members
- retro portraits! 30,849 photos, 3,066 members
- When I grow up, I want to be ... 118 photos, 51 members
- Color and Colors 1,340,660 photos, 50,487 members
- Gardens To See (NO FLOWER CLOSEUPS, PLEASE!) 7,686 photos, 585 members
- Journal/diary writing! 1,501 photos, 177 members
- Chocohol!cs 21,112 photos, 2,763 members
- Percolator 4,154 photos, 794 members
- Extreme Reads 2 photos, 2 members
- National Trust properties in the UK 5,613 photos, 310 members
- Mirror Mirror the Reflection Group 30,462 photos, 3,435 members
- In My Car 1,038 photos, 228 members
- This is Your Photo 460 photos, 289 members
- Camera Phone Pictures 259 photos, 20 members
- Hats off to Hats! 26,764 photos, 3,741 members
"I am certain I first spotted Georgie's wonder filled photos through 365 (of which I didn''t even finish year 1!) What a delight it is to see what he has gotten up to in his (year 3!) of selfies photos and in his travels. He has a warm and down-to-earth humour, always kind words and intriguing perspectives into everyday life.
I am indeed made richer having made his acquaintance through the quirky world of Flickr. :D"
7th June, 2009
sussex twit says:
"many thanks with your help I now have a buddy icon and profile keep in touch"
11th March, 2009
"GeorgieR - the first thing I check out on Flickr! An inspiration to us all; I am fortunate enough to count Georgie a friend and neighbor. He lives just round the bend.....;-)"
10th January, 2009
"Ok, what could be better than a man who jumps AND takes selfies while riding a bike? Possibly a man who also take selfies on the independence days of other countries. Georgie is the coolest dude, ever. Yeah, ever."
30th July, 2008
"George's photos are fun to see. Many of them reveal humor and a sense that he is a very down to earth person with a real zest for life. Many times his descriptions are laced with interesting tidbits of information well worth reading."
12th September, 2007
Clive Andrews says:
"It's great checking out George's photos. They reflect both the everyday and the extraordinary - often simultaneously.
In particular, I'd recommend taking a look at the slideshow of his participation in the 365 Days project. A great mix of humour, documentary and autobiography.
George has the air of a mildly eccentric, mischieveous uncle - the kind your parents worried would teach you bad habits."
28th June, 2007
"Sit back, pour yourself a drink and enjoy the sights with GeorgieR. Looking at his photostream, I feel like a tiny sightseer on his shoulder as he fills me in with his insightful (and at times, really funny) commentary. This was the best trip I've taken without leaving my computer in ages!!"
31st August, 2006
- George Redgrave
- October 2005
- Crawley, Sussex
- Crawley, Sussex, UK
- I am:
- Retired schoolteacher