Comments are appreciated. Group/award icons will be nuked.
All photos are copyright ©2006-13. All rights reserved. <--- Really.
If you are interested in purchasing a print, licensing an image, or hiring me to shoot something fun and out of the ordinary, please send me an email at jsterbenc[at]gmail[dot]com.
My images are available for blogging provided you notify me and link back to the original image.
I've made pictures since my big brother passed me a camera, an Argus C3 rangefinder, with a few rudimentary notes relating f-stops and shutter speeds to depth of field. I was in my early teens. I shot a lot, had a black and white darkroom while in high school and college and sadly, saved almost none of it. I grew up (ok, got older), got a job as an animation camera operator, then a studio photographer, then a location photographer... And again- most of the stuff was on such tight deadlines that most of it too, got away. Media flew out the door with no time to archive what had just happened before the next job, next deadline. Literally thousands of product and people shots- some of which I do have, but wouldn't inflict on people because frankly, unless you're shopping, product shots aren't terribly interesting. I've shot a few celebs. Most recently I shot "The Donald" Trump in Manhattan for life-sized stand-ups that appeared coast-to-coast in thousands of retail stores. That's fun stuff. High pressure and little margin for error. I may post some of that if the client/licensing allows it.
These days I'm a video editor/animator/photographer by trade and shoot as often as I can.
Camera. Don't leave home without it.
---> Shooting Whimsical Crap is fun! :D <---
- Unattended Luggage 15 photos, 35 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 20,927 photos, 3,685 members
- chiditarod 788 photos, 31 members
- Concert Photography 183,699 photos, 34,255 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,157 photos, 7,120 members
- Vintage 914 Photos 420 photos, 35 members
- Taxi! 11,981 photos, 2,505 members
- Amazing iPhoneography 292,085 photos, 15,829 members
- Flickr CPR 6,350 photos, 571 members
- Liberty! 141 photos, 84 members
- Boats 248,398 photos, 21,710 members
- Photo Talk Plus 912 photos, 351 members
- Washington Week's Political Shots Across America 486 photos, 79 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,168 photos, 3,339 members
- Leica M8 60,353 photos, 2,693 members
- HIPSTER 1,952 photos, 435 members
- Old Town School of Folk Music 881 photos, 94 members
- ChiFlickr Chicago Meetup Club 1,550 photos, 1,297 members
- Abandoned 705,454 photos, 49,609 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 1,006 photos, 828 members
- TtV52 430 photos, 20 members
- A Very Flickr Christmas 93,184 photos, 11,261 members
- Just Puppies! 34,216 photos, 4,669 members
- Corvette - Creative 10,579 photos, 1,903 members
- Triumph Cars 11,761 photos, 1,092 members
- door whores 744 photos, 89 members
- Chicago's Lincoln Square 150 photos, 25 members
- Classic American Cars (1925-1975) - Nov/Dec Photo Comps 32,719 photos, 615 members
- The Secret Life of Toys 320,568 photos, 20,441 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,475 photos, 1,657 members
- Cake, have it and eat it too! 85,295 photos, 8,698 members
- Cake Fun 107,231 photos, 8,647 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 18,895 photos, 2,493 members
- Top Marques Monaco 2010 (TMM 2010) 667 photos, 1,440 members
- NPR Picture Show 129,432 photos, 5,882 members
- iPhoneography 341,628 photos, 11,853 members
- Airport Terminals 1,154 photos, 167 members
- Flickr Walkabout Group 6,645 photos, 1,751 members
- Pauline's Breakfast 39 photos, 12 members
- Auto-Anthropology 17,478 photos, 1,713 members
- Hipstamatic 292,327 photos, 16,645 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 676,826 photos, 32,048 members
- National Wildlife Magazine Photo Group 117,403 photos, 6,070 members
- Deer 42,224 photos, 6,042 members
- Snow Porn 1,510 photos, 160 members
- The Listening Project 152 photos, 70 members
- KiddieLand/Melrose Park, IL 613 photos, 57 members
- Carousels 6,524 photos, 1,898 members
- Roller Coasters 2,098 photos, 298 members
- TTV RIGS 57 photos, 49 members
"seeing life thru a different lens, different glass.....a bit dirty a bit hazy....but oh so clear.......love your dust Joe.
30th May, 2010
Ed Karjala says:
"I have been a fan of Joe's flickr stream for a few years now. His work is always fresh and compelling -- defying convention while still touching the core of human experience that compels one to stop and ponder for a moment instead of just hurrying past..."
21st November, 2009
"Friendly Joe shoots with the rich working man soul of Studs Terkel in the joyful Kodachrome hue of that bouncy song by Paul Simon.
Mama don't take my Friendly Joe away.
26th September, 2008
The Irish Samurai says:
"Not only is Joe a master of the TTV and a top notch photographer, but he's also a cool guy and a generous person. Not to mention he has brought a funny bone to Flickr that has made it all the more enjoyable. I very much look forward to more of his shots and his humor."
1st April, 2008
O Caritas says:
"Not only is he friendly, but he's Joe!
How can you beat that?"
21st March, 2008
"Friendly Joe's talents for: camerawork, comments & comedy crack me up and crank up my curiosity. Never a dull moment around FJ's stream!"
15th February, 2008
"Once you make Joe a contact, you will never log into Flickr without smiling. He makes rusty, crusty, and dusty look decidedly awesome through his Starflex. He catches quirks and Americana like nobody else. Friendly + Joe = Creativity + Laughs!"
12th January, 2008
sweet fanny adams says:
"Friendly Joe is the King of Whimsy,
The Emperor of Fun,
and The Whore of Grilled Cheese."
10th January, 2008
"I would be more than comfortable with Joe representing our species if/when the aliens come."
2nd January, 2008
"Friendly, funny and a bang-up photographer -- Joe's pretty much awesome."
14th November, 2007
"Frankly, I have a hard time believing that Joe really exists. I mean, sure, the photos are good, hell, they're amazing, but the more I think about it, I think there's a robot somewhere behind the curtain. How else could everything turn out so perfect. jeez."
16th July, 2007
"What I love about Joe's photography is the bare-bones intimacy of the everyday goings-on of people all around us. He is a true archivist of the dragon slayers, people who toil - sometimes in sweat, sometimes with laughter. His viewfinder images are wonderful little snapshots of color, yet has an artful dinge to them which makes it the most unique TTV stuff I have seen around Flickr. Good going, Joe!"
12th July, 2007
"I like Joe
Yes, I do!
I like Joe
You should, too!"
26th June, 2007
"I love me some Friendly Joe.
He is a MASTER of TTV, a big ole' color whore, and his photos at the Manilow store is worthy of much praise.
He is also an awesome person...I am very glad we crossed paths.
If you don't have him in your contact list, you are missing out on some wonderfully fun and fabulous photography, and a wonderfully fun and fabulous person."
9th May, 2007
"visiting joe's stream is like stepping into a candy store. you've got a dollar burning a hole in your hand, and as you stand there in the doorway, staring wide-eyed at the delicious treats stacked up on every available spot of counterspace, you honestly don't know what to gobble up first. his square-format work is timeless, evocative, whimsical and intense, and his view of the world -- not to mention his guileless blend of humor and poignance -- is nothing short of inspirational.
truly one of my favorite photographers.
he's also funny. really really funny. and life doesn't get much better than funny, does it."
5th May, 2007
"Besides having the real deal photography skills, an incredible eye, and a dynamic sense of framing, Friendly Joe's photos do something for me that few others here have done- they make me genuinely and truly HAPPY. Like laughing out loud happy. The best examples to me are Pebbles Pez Posse in his TTV set, and Why You May Want To Behave Yourself in his Bowl-O-Rama set. I love the world you live in Joe, keep shooting and posting and inspiring!"
5th April, 2007
"He's a magician. An alchemist even. He takes banal everyday scenes and places and turns them into the object of desire of any colour- or any other whore. He also has a wicked sense of humour, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was indeed subjected to top secret and obscure CIA "lucy in the sky with diamonds" tests in the 70's. TTV shots are there as proof. Take exhibit Q for example. So there you have it, check out his stream yadayadablabla all that, but seriously: Friendly Joe ROCKS!"
26th February, 2007
Marie Kelleher says:
"Joe's laundromat and bowling alley shots have earned him the title of Poet Laureate of the Banal. And he can quote me on that."
25th February, 2007
"Friendly Joe is not only very friendly - he also takes these amazing pics that tell such a great story. I love his stream. One of my faves from my contacts. Shine on Joe! Shine on!"
15th February, 2007
- April 2006
- I am:
- Video Editor/Photographer