Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (2)
- World Waterfall Database 6,090 photos, 1,154 members
- Old & Aged 12,601 photos, 613 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 3,320 photos, 346 members
- First World War 2,971 photos, 101 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,348 photos, 365 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,155 photos, 743 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,634 photos, 181 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 443,990 photos, 10,471 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,050 photos, 146 members
- Capybara 4,943 photos, 163 members
- CMASSETS 810 photos, 17 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,835 photos, 103 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 6,203 photos, 306 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,584 photos, 4,929 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 103,456 photos, 495 members
- Show off Your Argentina 36,350 photos, 2,258 members
- Aviation Wreck & Relics 23,025 photos, 400 members
- Misiones Argentina 1,827 photos, 154 members
- Buenos Aires City 45,272 photos, 5,040 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 30,445 photos, 2,625 members
- Argentina 141,736 photos, 7,208 members
- Old New Zealand 259 photos, 39 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 229,415 photos, 4,386 members
- ❤ *THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE* ❤ ❤❤ Sweeper on P1 & C 3 13,707 photos, 1,522 members
- Black and White Liverpool 5,115 photos, 334 members
- The photographers world network 5,059 photos, 209 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,809 photos, 516 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 270 photos, 120 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 6,591 photos, 131 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 175 photos, 16 members
- Views 20000 167 photos, 142 members
- 20000 VIEWS 449 photos, 536 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 28,256 photos, 5,642 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 431,953 photos, 100,219 members
- This is Derbyshire 29,282 photos, 999 members
- Nikon DSLR Users -- The Bistro 73,216 photos, 2,089 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 15,880 photos, 1,926 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 47,681 photos, 1,033 members
- Ephemera 44,796 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 11,883 photos, 1,126 members
- 1960's 14,160 photos, 916 members
- 1950's 5,871 photos, 426 members
- 1970's 16,049 photos, 1,021 members
- Still Britain 7,370 photos, 134 members
- Canadian History 8,330 photos, 426 members
- RCAF 5,361 photos, 227 members
- Auckland Airport 317 photos, 22 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 33,061 photos, 2,428 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,789 photos, 842 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,194 photos, 1,114 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
22nd November, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
23rd July, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist