Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,157 photos, 1,160 members
- Old & Aged 13,734 photos, 655 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 3,624 photos, 357 members
- First World War 3,088 photos, 108 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,376 photos, 365 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,460 photos, 738 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,358 photos, 176 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 470,085 photos, 11,101 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,088 photos, 150 members
- Capybara 4,947 photos, 164 members
- CMASSETS 859 photos, 19 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,883 photos, 104 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 6,227 photos, 305 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,489 photos, 4,990 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 114,517 photos, 514 members
- Show off Your Argentina 37,055 photos, 2,271 members
- Aviation Wreck & Relics 25,499 photos, 430 members
- Misiones Argentina 1,866 photos, 159 members
- Buenos Aires City 46,380 photos, 5,107 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 30,823 photos, 2,678 members
- Argentina 145,689 photos, 7,428 members
- Old New Zealand 264 photos, 39 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 242,917 photos, 4,480 members
- ❤ *THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE* ❤ ❤❤ Sweeper on P1 & C 3 14,110 photos, 1,522 members
- Black and White Liverpool 5,353 photos, 344 members
- The photographers world network 5,414 photos, 210 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,808 photos, 530 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 415 photos, 135 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 6,802 photos, 135 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 175 photos, 16 members
- Views 20000 189 photos, 155 members
- 20000 VIEWS 564 photos, 558 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 28,953 photos, 5,623 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 428,933 photos, 102,712 members
- This is Derbyshire 31,198 photos, 1,023 members
- Nikon DSLR Users -- The Bistro 77,213 photos, 2,142 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 15,999 photos, 1,924 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 53,490 photos, 1,104 members
- Ephemera 45,115 photos, 1,669 members
- 1960s 12,381 photos, 1,146 members
- 1960's 15,404 photos, 934 members
- 1950's 6,867 photos, 440 members
- 1970's 16,732 photos, 1,044 members
- Still Britain 8,046 photos, 140 members
- Canadian History 8,542 photos, 425 members
- RCAF 5,763 photos, 229 members
- Auckland Airport 439 photos, 25 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 38,087 photos, 2,733 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,806 photos, 843 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,174 photos, 1,118 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
22nd November, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
23rd July, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist