I'm a simple person. I'm a husband. I'm a father. I'm a reader and a thinker more than a writer and a talker. I love history. I find myself drawn to taking photographs that portray the history, architecture, and spiritualness of the South.
"With the camera, it's all or nothing. You either get what you're after at once, or what you do has to be worthless. I don't think the essence of photography has the hand in it so much. The essence is done very quietly with a flash of the mind, and with a machine. I think too that photography is editing, editing after the taking. After knowing what to take, you have to do the editing."
-- Walker Evans
“Here I must say, a little anyhow: what I can hardly hope to bear out in the record: that a house of simple people which stands empty and silent in the vast Southern country morning sunlight, and everything which on this morning in eternal space it by chance contains, all thus left open and defenseless to a reverent and cold-laboring spy, shines quietly forth such grandeur, such sorrowful holiness of its exactitudes in existence, as no human consciousness shall ever rightly perceive, far less impart to another: that there can be more beauty and more deep wonder in the standings and spacing of mute furnishings on a bare floor between the squaring bourns of walls than in any music ever made: that this square home, as it stands in unshadowed earth between the winding years of heaven, is, not to me but of itself, one among the serene and final, uncapturable beauties of existence: that this beauty is made between hurt by invincible nature and the plainest cruelties and needs of human existence in this uncured time, and is inextricable among these, and as impossible without them as a saint born in paradise.”
-James Agee, "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men"
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A PRINT, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA FLICKR MAIL, I WOULD LOVE TO DECORATE YOUR WALL!
All photos in my photostream are rights reserved and therefore may not be used in any way without my express permission.
Check Out My Blog: evanleavittphotography.wordpress.com/
One of my photos graces the cover of a talented poet's, Donna de la Pierriere, new book.
- NPR Picture Show 129,495 photos, 5,882 members
- 8x10 4,368 photos, 743 members
- Large Format Portrait 5,516 photos, 955 members
- Paper Negatives 2,886 photos, 425 members
- The Coca-Cola Company 7,139 photos, 3,092 members
- 2012 Downtown Georgia photo contest 178 photos, 97 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 199,736 photos, 5,764 members
- The Film Group 497,836 photos, 9,704 members
- Toygraphy 3,255 photos, 238 members
- lo-fi film highs! █████ 34,923 photos, 849 members
- film for friday 8,387 photos, 487 members
- 4x5 25,702 photos, 3,092 members
- Large Format 56,579 photos, 9,336 members
- graflex 10,681 photos, 1,580 members
- Anna Gay/Loca Luna Actions and Textures 202 photos, 42 members
- Countryside Photography Moderated Group...Post 1 - Award 1 16,870 photos, 1,724 members
- Study of Abandonment 2,453 photos, 64 members
- Metro Atlanta Flickr 2,230 photos, 178 members
- Vanishing Hart County Georgia 136 photos, 6 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 10,135 photos, 1,754 members
- the modern Tintype 111 photos, 107 members
- Time & Place 3,335 photos, 413 members
- The Calotype Society 751 photos, 160 members
- Cliche Saturday:In the heat of the night 12,302 photos, 937 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Altering reality, one pixel at a time! 25,474 photos, 1,490 members
- FlickrCentral 6,687,348 photos, 197,113 members
- Flickr Addicts 4,171,145 photos, 67,896 members
- Lomography Society of GA 72 photos, 7 members
- Religious Americana 2,069 photos, 175 members
- Oconee County Georgia 81 photos, 13 members
- World Portrait 2020 85,953 photos, 3,288 members
- Mt. Zion Church 25 photos, 8 members
- things you can tell just by looking at her... 14,850 photos, 1,407 members
- Me Through Your Eyes 346 photos, 336 members
- Crappy Photos Taken By Steven Skelton 0 photos, 1 member
- Historic Barns of the South 1,098 photos, 145 members
- The 6x12 and Wider Group 3,060 photos, 349 members
- The dark corners of Holga 120 WPC pinhole shots 4,043 photos, 727 members
- Holga 120 WPC 1,501 photos, 236 members
- Antweaks Roadshow 341 photos, 25 members
- AGFA Film: A Tribute 43,574 photos, 2,953 members
- Lo-Fi Landscapes 23,098 photos, 1,347 members
- Architecture of the Old South 3,872 photos, 148 members
- The American South 3,467 photos, 97 members
- Bostwick, GA 242 photos, 21 members
- Speed! 81 photos, 23 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,744 members
- American South in Black & White 10,964 photos, 363 members
- Clunkers 67 photos, 25 members
- ...-Wink's Place-... 211,347 photos, 3,563 members
"When you visit Evan's photostream, you step into the world of rural Georgia and experience the heart and soul of the forgotten south. His images evoke such emotion....a longing for what was, and through his work you feel that connection to the past. Whatever medium he uses, whether Holga, hdr, digital or film, it never ceases to inspire.
Evan was one of my first contacts on Flickr, and he's one of the nicest and most helpful people on Flickr.
As Ariel has said, he is "The Rockstar of Rural Decay.""
1st March, 2012
is gone says:
"The rock star of rural decay."
12th May, 2011
"I hate Evan Leavitt."
15th June, 2010
"Evan is one of the best on Flickr. I've seen some great picture but evanleavitt's photostream is just amazing. He is so inspirational, I love it when I see his name pop up in the New Photos from Your Contacts menu because I know it is going to be an awesome picture. Someone this talented NEEDS to be known world wide."
9th April, 2010
"To me, Evan has one of the most heartfelt photostreams. He photographs places of days long gone and every image really has a meaning. I love his experiments with textures and the Holga. Evan is also amazingly helpful and supportive to other photographers on Flickr, and I'm lucky to count him as a friend. People like Evan make Flickr fun."
28th September, 2009
Marty Hogan says:
"a very masterful and insightful visualizer of the Georgian world. i feel connected to a world i have not visited...and this world has been served up with care and warmth."
21st August, 2009
"Evan is a bloody genius! What more is there to say? His captures of light are freakishly wonderful and it makes me completely sick.....:)"
23rd July, 2009
"not that evan needs any more testimonials but i thought i'd just give my two-penneth!
since coming to the us, i've become fascinated with the works of american photographers such as egglestone, evans, christenberry, etc, cataloguing the everyday places that are disappearing rapidly. to that list i would add evan leavitt, his work is that good. inspirational."
6th July, 2009
"I've known Evan for quite some time now. We first met in the photography critique group. Since then he has developed his skills immensely. He has become a master at HDR as well as textures. He has a great eye, and I really enjoy his photos. He is also not afraid to try something new. Thats what I first liked about Evan- No fear."
5th June, 2009
Kiki FL says:
"Evan's photostream is a nostalgic blast from the past flavored with his particular brand of artistry and vision. He is a true creative with a wonderful eye to stage a photo "just so" for maximum viewing pleasure. I always look forward to seeing what he will do next."
3rd June, 2009
Aleeka dreams says:
"Viewing Evans stream is like walking through a dream......such incredible images! Each of them treated so lovingly and turned into unique pieces of art. He captures liitle pieces of history that will soon be gone forever...please Evan, keep capturing and creating....you are an amazing photographer!"
20th May, 2009
"Evan's work never fails to deliver. I am in awe of his talent, every image is a true masterpiece. His images of the Rural South are so beautifully composed and processed, every wonderful scene rich in tone and colour and each one an echo of the past."
26th April, 2009
Tina Lee Studio says:
"Evan is amazing - his work is exceptional as well as historical in nature. He respects his subject's and takes care to portray them in a way that shows that. He is a true inspiration to me, living in the same area, I am forever grateful for the wonderful way he captures the south!"
2nd April, 2009
"I love Evan's vision of the rural south.. His photography is truly one of the best here on flickr and deserves so much more recognition then what it gets!!
He is a great artist in photography, sharing his passion for the place he loves and that is shown so much through his photos.
I deeply respect his work and enjoy it immensely!
Wishing you a abundance of success Evan!! It is well deserved... :)"
25th February, 2009
"What do I say about Evan´s photgrphay, its fairly obvious, great texture, great composition, colours, tones and most of all imagination. He is also a great contact, I would definmitely like to meet him one day and also take a few snaps in georgia"
15th February, 2009
"i stumbled upon Evan's stream and was immediately blown away by the sublime perfection of his craft. his HDR images are enchanting, and certainly the most "realistic" i've seen......his unique view of rural southern architecture is something to be seen...simply stunning!"
3rd February, 2009
Legacy Images says:
"Evan's works of art capture a sense of history in two ways– the past forgotten by the present, and the present (regardless of condition) preserved for the future. His images of rural decay are extraordinary. His processing and editing abilities are excellent, and have a style that is distinctively his very own. From one history buff to another, great work, and keep it coming! Violet Clark"
8th January, 2009
klondike kid says:
"Evan's photography is simply beautiful."
13th October, 2008
Grant MacDonald says:
"Evan is one of my favourite flickrites. I always look forward to his next shot! HIs subjects are very much the kind of material I love to look at anyway, but he captures them with such love and attention to detail, particularly the light and shadow. I also love his skill in processing his work.
Evan's work always has a sense of reverence and mystery--like he is an explorer into a hidden world that he wants to share with us. There is a timeless richness in his work that few others have."
12th September, 2008
Dan Krecklow says:
"Obviously, Evan's work is incredibly rich . . . what strikes me is that he continues to grow . . . and with few exceptions, every photograph he posts is more sophisticated in some regard than his previous work . . .
Take some time to go through his photostream . . . you will be as impressed and inspired as I have been!"
6th September, 2008
"This guy is great! Plain and simple!"
22nd August, 2008
"I can't say enough about Evan's talent as an artist and photographer. Absolutely one of the best HDR photographers I've seen. I'm amazed every single day as I see what new creations he shares with us. His work is so inspiring and I'm very lucky to have met Evan on flickr. I highly recommend his photostream...you'll lose (or find) yourself in it and be completely consumed by it."
29th July, 2008
Patrick Henson says:
"I'm not going to do a long rambling testimonial. I think I can say it like this, and say it all:
Hands down, one of the top three HDR Decay photographers on Flickr. I never miss a shot from Evan. Keep up the great work."
4th July, 2008
"EvanLeavitt. What is there to say? It's more what isn't there to say! He has a great eye for his surroundings. All of his images are strong and evoke many different levels of emotions. His style seems almost as if he is one with his subjects. He has the ability to tell the stories that the landscapes and architectural developments cannot tell on their own. He seems to never overlook the beauty in the old beaten up shacks and buildings or the more luxurious developments. Even the few portraits he has on here are wonderful. I would highly recommend his work for others to purchase and enjoy. I'm pretty sure he can do it all. Not only does he take great pictures but from the little dialogue we have exchanged he seems like a great character as well!"
24th June, 2008
The Headless Horseman says:
"I love his style! really vintage shots! wonderful landscapes! man this is great!!!!"
21st June, 2008
"Great eye, lovely post processing, creative shots, lovely photostream!"
28th April, 2008
"I don't know Evan well, but his photography is beyond amazing. He is someone that I look up too, and provides so much inspiration. Your work is sometimes beyond words. I am so glad I was introduced to your work, Thank You!"
19th January, 2008
- Evan Leavitt
- May 2007
- Athens, GA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Archaeologist/Archaeological Graphics