***Terms of usage and activity. All Images are © Copyright Douglas Remington - Ethereal Light® Photography, LLC.If you Fav my pics, please comment as well, it is rude not to do so. Use of my images require a commercial use license. Please inquire. Downloading or copying and use of my photographs within website(s) or blog(s) is strictly forbidden without prior authorization.Please visit website or email for rates on photo use: www.ethereallight.com. Please contact for all other inquiries. Use of my image(s) also require linking logo to my website on every page the image appears unless otherwise stated in agreement. Unauthorized use face legal action and fines in court. Image tracking technology in use. Ethereal Light® is a registered trademark of Douglas Remington and Ethereal Light® Photography, LLC. ***
There is no such thing as fine art. Art cannot be defined other than a creative process, a means of expression. To call art, "fine" would be a vain declaration of its limit and not of its possibilities, which I consider to be endless.
I am a seeker and chaser of light. I aspire to fully understand light and have an expressive relationship with it. I want to know the physics of light, the spirit of light, and discover as much of her secrets as possible. The reasons are complex and yet simple. There is a balancing act in nature. Light needs darkness. Darkness is the canvas of which light paints itself. Without darkness we could not even be aware of light. I have found that this realization aids my artistic vision and with any luck, makes a memorable impression upon you, the viewer of my work.
Hello, I'm Douglas Remington - Ethereal Light® Photography, LLC
I was born in Portland Oregon, and was raised on an organic farm in a rural area not far from Portland. This is where the foundation of my enjoyment of the outdoors came from.
My photography interest began as a mid-teen, when a neighbor had some "35mm equipment for sale." I was immediately taken by photography and immersed myself into it quite profoundly. I have now been shooting seriously since the mid to late 1980s.
For me, being in the wilderness is a great passion for me and the camera has always been part of my adventures into the wild and elsewhere. I do hope that my images of wild natural areas inspire people to visit them in a conscientious manner and to work towards preserving them for generations to come.
I also enjoy photographing people and other subject matter as well; whatever my mind's eye and camera are "meant to do” at a given moment in time. For as long as I can reminisce things seem to have an ethereal luminescence to them; hence the term: "Ethereal Light™" an expression I have been using since the 1980s. This sensation I try to convey in much of my artwork, both black and white and in color.
For those interested in my processing techniques, I do not practice nor do I care for this current fad of "HDR" photography in general, although there is a small minority out there that manage to make it work without looking like a clown show. I sometimes manually blend in portions of two different exposures if absolutely necessary, but never a whole additional image. Over 99% of my photos are straight on single exposures with no blending whatsoever.
For my printing techniques I only offer the finest prints and prefer Metal prints or wet silver based emulsions (Silver gelatin) - all exposed with light (not ink spray).
Beyond the realm of visual alchemy, I work in the fermentation trade and my other activities and interest involve, philosophy, psychology, history, economics, mythology, mysticism, symbolism, bee-keeping, creating great cuisine, blade-smithing, bicycling, I play guitar, teach Mead making and other fermentation sciences, and do consulting within the fermentation trade as well. Cheers!
For more information, or to purchase prints and image licensing, please visit my website:
My other website: www.traditionalmead.com
*** My Flickr Policies, please read***
To whom it may concern,
I do not knowingly join groups that add a photo or graphics from html for responses. If your group pool has comment code please do not invite me to join.
*** Please do not post banners, awards, emoticon, animations, comment code, notes on my photos, your "dna," links to your photo-stream, website, page, or blog - promoting you or your associates, or attach pictures to comments of my photos or sets. I will remove them as I find them; I will most likely block you from further comment***
*If you send me a friend request and have no photos of your own in your stream, I will block you. Flickr is for photographers. Most of you are just perverts who just fav (without comment) my nude work and that is why you are here.*
FYI, If you add my photos to your favorites and rarely (if ever) comment on them, I will block you.
Explore. Any comments to my photos that have been "explored" I usually delete. I do not care about explore. Comment about my work and not explore please? Being in explore has nothing to do if your or my work is good; its an algorithm :)
*If you are one of those vain individuals that need attention by sending out flickr mail to EVERYONE on your contact list to comment on your photo (and yet you never or rarely comment on mine); congrats you have earned a block.*
Photos of Douglas Remington - Ethereal Light® Photography (1)
Douglas Remington - Ethereal Light® Photography's favorite photos from other Flickr members (2)
- Northern Territory, Australia 14,388 photos, 463 members
- Project Weather 144,272 photos, 37,002 members
- look my eyes 11,621 photos, 955 members
- Perth, Western Australia 30,890 photos, 1,914 members
- Model Mayhem Perth Australia 574 photos, 95 members
- Oregon Adventurist 5,183 photos, 402 members
- National Geographic Society 129,511 photos, 4,510 members
- Australian Geographic 7,762 photos, 631 members
- Inspirational Landscape images 5,132 photos, 753 members
- Photography Downunder 26,471 photos, 479 members
- Australian Landscapes 9,835 photos, 436 members
- Uluru (Ayers Rock) 1,765 photos, 610 members
- Amazing Australia 1,891 photos, 144 members
- Rural Australia 12,539 photos, 738 members
- Australian Outback 543 photos, 216 members
- Outback Australia 7,541 photos, 418 members
- B&W Landscapes 8,445 photos, 859 members
- Oregon Landscapes in Black and White 878 photos, 65 members
- The Cloud Gallery: Only the Best (Invitation Only) 286 photos, 78 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 17,208 photos, 953 members
- Ecuador in Black and White 1,171 photos, 141 members
- Ecuador Cover Photo Contest 118 photos, 38 members
- Loja, Ecuador 169 photos, 25 members
- Vilcabamba 100 photos, 16 members
- Spider Webs 3,767 photos, 1,342 members
- Flickr's Best Spiders 4,495 photos, 540 members
- Spider Photos 10,894 photos, 2,707 members
- Inspirational Landscape From around the world 2,272 photos, 387 members
- Girls' portraits 389 photos, 477 members
- Amazing Portraits 298 photos, 151 members
- natural portraits 3,655 photos, 256 members
- Bridges at Night 22,250 photos, 4,757 members
- Vines and Vineyards 29,402 photos, 3,782 members
- Light Rays (NOT sunflare or shadows - read rules) 1,882 photos, 924 members
- Arizona Flag Effect 184 photos, 103 members
- Crepuscular Rays / 天使の階段 604 photos, 156 members
- Loving Couple 28,752 photos, 7,133 members
- Homebrewers Anonymous 3,458 photos, 434 members
- Homebrew Beer 2,086 photos, 245 members
- Monochromatic Visions 22,333 photos, 2,360 members
- Mushrooms 69,812 photos, 8,597 members
- Waterfalls that say WOW 745 photos, 79 members
- OR WA Fall Color 3,649 photos, 356 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 3,684 photos, 480 members
- Astrophotography 80,752 photos, 12,161 members
- Astronomy 123 8,211 photos, 374 members
- Astronomy, Stars, Planets and Space 18,235 photos, 2,032 members
- Astronomy 62,268 photos, 9,256 members
- d r e a m s c a p e s 260,105 photos, 14,667 members
- The Pantheon of Landscape 5,742 photos, 801 members
"I "met" Douglas on-line shortly after joining flicker and seeking some profession advice on photography and particularly equipment. He responded to my questions without reservation and with a definite understanding and clear advice on my options posed. His images are spectacular and the envy of any photographer! His ethic and commitment to the profession and quality are outstanding and a standard to be aspired to by all. I look forward to his postings on flickr and his website. Would that I had the place to display many of his images - they are high on my list of art to have around me all the time."
9th May, 2012
"Combine a deep knowledge of light with technical mastery, innate skill and the single-pointed focus of a meditative visionary, and you begin to understand the quality and originality of Douglas' photography.
Not restricted to a single genre, this inspiring work spans majestic landscapes to the little worlds of macro photography, monochrome and color.
And then there is the portraiture.His ability to connect with a subject, to entice them out of themselves when in front of his lens, and capture pure extracts of the human spirit is a skill that can't be taught.
This is photographic poetry for the heart and soul.
If you take a wander through his stream, you will feel it."
2nd April, 2012
little m:) says:
"A seasoned photographer with a passion for experiencing remote wilderness landscapes and a wildly talented B&W artist, Douglas Remington reminds me of a modern day Ansel Adams.
No one else even comes close to producing the drama and depth of his black and white landscapes. His fine but masterful hand at processing minimalistic scenes is like no other ~ shadows and contours come to life at his deft touch and leaves you saying, "who needs color!"
His deeply intuitive and kind spiritual nature also set him apart as a portrait photographer~as Art Wolfe once said, "you must see it to capture it," and I think Douglas really "sees" people. HIs photographs of the late "Bunnie Lepowski" are painfully poignant. There are portraits so revealing in his portfolio that I feel like I actually knew the person in the photograph intimately.
I think when you combine his experience, talent and passion you get a photographer who is at the top of his game and a beautiful inspiration for those of us who are looking for one. ~little m:)"
5th August, 2010
alan g smith says:
"I have traveled, assisted and photographed alongside Doug extensively over the years and have watched him mature as a artist and craftsman. Doug is good at putting people at ease which makes for excellent portraiture but one thing I can say about him that makes his landscapes so great it's his knack for waiting and finding the moment of perfect aesthetic light. Doug has always been willing to endure a lot of discomfort and sacrifice to find the perfect scene. I have seem him half frozen snatching rolls of film from me at Mono lake at sunrise, lying on a rock for an hour waiting for a dragonfly to land in just the right spot, sprinting through the forest with tripod open ready to shoot, enduring my constant ravings driving through the desert, or hiking for 18 miles in a day just because we didn't pay attention to how far we'd gone. Doug is a seeker of light and shares the natural beauty that many of us miss because we weren't paying attention to the earth and the sky.
-alan g smith"
1st April, 2010
- Douglas Remington
- January 2008
- USA and Australia
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer and fermentation Consultant.
- Ethereal Light® Photography, LLC