I am here to share what I find beautiful and pure. I am a traveler and artist who sees beauty everywhere I go and within everything I do. I love sharing my knowledge, my passions, and my life with fellow citizens of the world. This passion has led me on an amazing path of learning and self-discovery. My heart and soul is in my art, and in everything I create and share. I am truly happiest when I discover new found beauty, not only through my eyes, but through the eyes of friends, family, and acquaintances. A twinkle seen in the eyes of those sharing these moments, creating their own, this emotion of shared discovery is where true connections are formed. To inspire is my greatest reward, to create lasting memories is my gift.
I have always felt a need to share my love for all things beautiful. At age 19, I started working on my first website to share my love of foreign cinema. There is much to be learned by observing a culture through their art, and these movies when watched in their original language, cuts and presentation format are a rewarding view into the lives and culture of the world. (The website is still archived at hkfanatic.com/ and is a very useful archive for Jackie Chan and Jet Li fans). At age 29, I learned photography from reading books, scouring the Internet, and studying other photographs to determine ways to create the interesting techniques I found.
I am formally educated with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. This has given me lots of opportunities to grow as a photographer–with the skills to play and learn what I call geek-oriented photography (Infrared Photography, Stereo Photography, Panorama/Stitched Photographs, Multiple Exposure Photography and complex processing techniques that often require the ability to compile and patch software).
The famous photographer, Ansel Adams, inspired me and helped me build my vision of the Western United States. His beautiful black and white landscapes, which are stark and full of extreme highlights and shadows, have always stayed in my mind. When I first stumbled upon near-infrared photography landscapes, I was reminded of his work. Immediately I started to learn everything I could about this technique. Without this alignment of vision between the work of Ansel Adams and the natural look of a near infrared photograph, I may have never taken the leap in career paths to become an artist and photographer.
I am always learning and growing, and I am inspired by the great artists of the past, present, and future. I appreciate and cherish work from artists who have passion in everything they do–this can be seen in paintings, photography, cinema, writings, architecture, food, hair and design. When someone gives their life and soul to their work, their internal vision is clear. This is how I feel about my photography, and I hope to share everything I find beautiful with the world with all.
I have been working on several projects for years, perfecting my techniques and views of the world. My passion for art has taken me all over the world including Germany, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy, Japan, India, and Canada. There is still much to explore abroad and here in the USA. There is beauty everywhere–whether in the landscapes or in the people and their ideas. The people I have met along this journey inspire me by their own passions for life, and seeing this beautiful world through their eyes is a true treasure. Many of my upcoming projects will include views and visions of the world that they helped me to find, capture, and share. These collaborations I cherish. I am excited to share more of the projects that I have been working on, but there is always a start. My first project is the one that launched me into the world of photography.
Infrared Illusions: Series 1
This is a limited edition series of landscapes captured in near-infrared light (710nm-1200nm). These images represent some of my favorite infrared landscapes that showcase the beauty and possibilities of near-infrared photography. To me, science makes the world a more beautiful place, more fascinating, more mind-boggling, more real and enjoyable. Bringing science and technology to my art is a very real way for me to showcase this beauty.
I love to teach others what I know, and share the joy I have for the world with everyone I meet. I love all my family, friends, and supporters for without you I would not be able share all that I find beautiful in this world. If you have any comments about my work, my passions, or what I find beautiful in this world, let us start a conversation.
- This is Art! 1,149 photos, 669 members
- D800 Converted - Infrared/UV/Full Spectrum 4 photos, 4 members
- Taj Mahal & Other Historical Monuments of India 11,993 photos, 1,329 members
- Temple of Transition 822 photos, 63 members
- Burning Man! 46,766 photos, 4,201 members
- PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED 3,669 photos, 505 members
- A Woman's Charm 3,155 photos, 211 members
- Death Valley National Park 13,196 photos, 1,170 members
- Death Valley Racetrack Playa 880 photos, 166 members
- Death Valley Night Photography 146 photos, 59 members
- Death Valley 15,561 photos, 2,240 members
- Star Trails 19,091 photos, 7,765 members
- Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-s 63 photos, 14 members
- Spectral & Hyperspectral Botanical, Botanical Garden & Arboretum 1,246 photos, 73 members
- Timelapse Videos 6,508 photos, 3,231 members
- Only Invite / Only on Explore 33,461 photos, 1,333 members
- A Portrait Group 417,002 photos, 9,789 members
- Fascinating Women in Black & White Art 17,949 photos, 1,476 members
- IR portraits 430 photos, 116 members
- Underwater Portraiture 7,029 photos, 2,206 members
- Underwater Photos 105,500 photos, 7,630 members
- show me the art 25,843 photos, 1,259 members
- D700 IR 60 photos, 19 members
- Antelope Island 928 photos, 107 members
- Model Mayhem Flickr 44,709 photos, 5,223 members
- artland 557,398 photos, 29,739 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 8,473 photos, 1,394 members
- pictureline 3,784 photos, 106 members
- Artistic Infrared 10,292 photos, 532 members
- Tattooed Girls 53,348 photos, 19,724 members
- Tattoos 72,967 photos, 21,210 members
- Stansbury Island 682 photos, 26 members
- Model Republic 37,507 photos, 2,470 members
- Infrared Flowers 121 photos, 29 members
- Reflections 508,067 photos, 44,990 members
- Hugin Users Group 12,406 photos, 1,411 members
- People Infrared 848 photos, 150 members
- The Wave 674 photos, 130 members
- Utah Strobist 3,110 photos, 418 members
- Artistic Portraits of Women 1,319 photos, 909 members
- Fashion World 135,466 photos, 10,066 members
- The Portrait Group 2,202,180 photos, 134,720 members
- Infrared in Japan, 赤外線写真 in Japan 1,353 photos, 96 members
- D300 Infrared 478 photos, 88 members
- Infrared panoramas 1,268 photos, 367 members
- Utah's Great Salt Lake 7,261 photos, 409 members
- Southern Utah 10,175 photos, 565 members
- National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites 34,030 photos, 1,677 members
- U.S. National Parks and Places 105,653 photos, 6,316 members
- U.S. National Parks 129,176 photos, 12,531 members
"Ethan is a wonderful person, friend, and artist! I love working with him :) I am very grateful to have him as a friend, and fellow creator"
10th May, 2012
Edd Noble says:
"I was brought to Ethan's gallery by the super cool IR portraits but he proves time and again that he is no one trick pony. A master of light who is always pushing the boundaries of himself and the preconceptions of photography.
A true inspiration and a great photographer!! For someone who uploads so much I have never been so captivated to follow a gallery. I am stunned by the continuously high standard of so much work!!
I also can't believe I am the first to write a testimonial!
Keep up the good work =)"
28th August, 2009
Ema Suvajac Photography says:
"Ethan's amazing skill and fantastic eye for capturing and creating photos all come together to result in some of the best IR work I've ever come across! Viewing his photostream is always a pleasure!"
21st February, 2009
- Ethan Killian
- September 2005
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Photographer, Software Designer