I think of myself as a street-shooter, but it's often too cold to shoot outside - especially since my camera freezes up when the temperature hits low 30s. (It defrosts and works again, but stil..) So I seek out indoor spots....museums, classrooms where I teach....
Blog that I kept up until my father died 2/2012: mostlyaboutmyfather.blogspot.com/
This work by Susan Sermoneta is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License..
If you use a photograph of mine, I'd appreciate knowing where you've used it. No commercial use without my permission.
I shoot with an M8, a Canon d40 (rarely, for events), and a Canon S95 when my backpack is already too heavy to take the M8. Each camera is good for different kinds of shots, but my M8 is my hands-down favorite.
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 15 37 photos, 175 members
- Working hard for a living 2,387 photos, 284 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 14 135 photos, 216 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 13 165 photos, 232 members
- travel on the train 5,259 photos, 96 members
- New York Shot By New Yorkers 116,752 photos, 1,724 members
- City Scapes & Street 19,396 photos, 1,140 members
- Surreal, Noir, Dada--B&W ONLY [No Color or Color Tint] 11,261 photos, 918 members
- The Social Landscape 20,687 photos, 571 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 12 151 photos, 212 members
- Art Climbers 7,206 photos, 942 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 11 129 photos, 206 members
- Death Valley National Park 12,701 photos, 1,134 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 434 photos, 1,443 members
- strange & weird people 1 photo, 5 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 10 124 photos, 210 members
- Make it Different 47 photos, 10 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 113,101 photos, 4,594 members
- The Street Photograph (Black and White Street Photography) 45,190 photos, 1,587 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - Instruction # 09 162 photos, 227 members
- Hong Kong Images 89,579 photos, 2,717 members
- HONG KONG WALK 1,687 photos, 255 members
- Toronto Photo Walks - http://torontophotowalks.ca/ 19,859 photos, 778 members
- Hong Kong Streets 2,624 photos, 243 members
- CARS OF CUBA - the greatest American car museum in the world 1,340 photos, 213 members
- Cuba Cars 4,164 photos, 527 members
- East Coast Urban Exploration 5,794 photos, 210 members
- Magnum Showcase (Moderated) 1,695 photos, 445 members
- Leica World Street Photography competition 208 photos, 131 members
- Guatemala 35,631 photos, 2,015 members
- Cuba Collection 30,060 photos, 1,380 members
- Cuba, cuba 41,892 photos, 1,943 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 67,873 photos, 3,801 members
- CUBA en Flickr 3,608 photos, 141 members
- Cuba Photos 19,724 photos, 1,384 members
- Saul Leiter - In No Great Hurry 841 photos, 101 members
- MUG Flickr Pool 10,535 photos, 226 members
- Public Art Fund "Tatzu Nishi: Discovering Columbus" 239 photos, 26 members
- Contemporary Surreal Color Photography 1,814 photos, 157 members
- Yahoo! News: Your Photos 3,571 photos, 1,014 members
- street surreal 44,767 photos, 3,623 members
- Surreal, Noir, Dada IN COLOR 5,703 photos, 289 members
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery 1,412 photos, 229 members
- Tom Otterness 905 photos, 98 members
- flickr (unofficial) 908,135 photos, 68,431 members
- Dating is boring 795 photos, 96 members
- La Vida en la Calle (Fotografia Urbana) Sube 3 comenta 2 Siempre 16,146 photos, 1,234 members
- RuNNing MaN ProjecT 134 photos, 115 members
- Inside/Outside 977 photos, 195 members
- GreenNYC 698 photos, 284 members
I love your streetphotography!
22nd January, 2008
"I have spent a couple of weeks with Susan walking on the streets of Paris. Susan is not just a great woman but a great photographer ! The way she takes pictures is very interesting. Sin-Da"
21st July, 2007
"Susan, Thanks for all the beautiful images. I'm really inspired by your portraits of people. Your work has movtivated me to get behind the lens more; and once I'm there do things differently. Thank you, Rich"
12th May, 2007
Evren Sahin says:
" for me, she is a woman Winogrand in NYC..
a very talented street photographer.."
6th March, 2007
"I Like the New York City's Perspective that comes from Susan's Pictures. It seems she has a unique taste of capturing whatever is happening in the city that never sleeps. We can really see NYC through her pictures. Keep up with the good work, Susan!"
22nd September, 2006
Steve took it says:
"Susan takes you on a detailed, unique and personal tour of her New York City. Through her camera we see a locals-eye-view of the architecture, graffiti and people that make her city so colorful and fascinating. From her sets on benchwarmers and city people to her perspective on colors and textures within restaurants, lobbies and museums, it’s a cityscape many will never notice. But Susan captures every overlooked detail and transforms them into unforgettable images. It’s a New York you will be glad you visited."
14th January, 2006
Rev. Santino says:
"Something is happening in the city.
Our photoreporter Susan is on the beat to capture anything we may have missed, freezing those moments for us to review.
Her service is huge, her eye is sharp and the titles are witty."
29th December, 2005
Newell the Jewell says:
"Always enjoy seeing new work submitted to Flickr by SusanNYC. Had the utmost pleasure of meeting her in person and observing her technique firsthand. In addition to having a keen eye, Susan's a great conversationist, down to earth, and laugh out loud hysterical."
28th September, 2005
"Susan_NYC has a gift for catching people (and places) in the city in their most open and unselfconscious moments. It's almost as if she lets us glimpse all of the things contained just under the surface of the people and places in NYC she photographs- qualities that are usually covered by a thin protective layer- and lets their vulnerability and humanity filter out."
26th May, 2005
Derby City (Rachel Pace) says:
"Susan is a wonderful friend, teacher, hostess, guest and critic! She opens my eyes and has been for lots of years! Everything Scissors says is true. And she is confortable! She has a great inquisitive mind and excitedly shares her findings. I love to be with her in new places! Even before her flickr days, she flickr'd!
Thanks, Susan ~"
11th May, 2005
Runs With Scissors says:
I must thank you for opening up what has become a vehicle for expression.
It wasn't enough for a close friend to get me to trust 'my eye' again.
It wasn't enough for the closest person to me to tell me it was okay to spend money I really didn't have because it was time to have a camera again.
It's not the time I spend or my effort capturing images that is so important.
It's was your generous invitations to examine your beloved camera closely, create an gmail account and lastly a Flickr account that has opened up a vechile that has allowed me pour all this into and travel in.
7th April, 2005
- Susan Sermoneta
- December 2004
- McKeesport PA
- Manhattan (since '64), USA
- I am:
- Female and Single
- adjunct instructor of English (semi-retired)
- my website