You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
- Mark Twain
Life's about friendships, the way you love your partner, the way you care for your children. That is what life is about. Not anything about earning a hundred zillion dollars because you toured America more than anyone else. I want life to be about creativity.
- Joe Strummer, former lead singer for the Clash
Discovery is the ability to be puzzled by simple things.
- Noam Chomsky
Long ago I learned to take my time and try not to force perspective.
- GRMI Scott Kelby World Wide Photo Walk 2012 18 photos, 5 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2012 172 photos, 33 members
- The Michigan Gallery- 28,578 photos, 1,019 members
- The Revolving Door Project 248 photos, 131 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 1,530 photos, 88 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2011 656 photos, 9 members
- Grand Rapids, MI • Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk 2011 247 photos, 22 members
- GRAM Photo Walks: Urban Explorations 344 photos, 26 members
- AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8/D User Group. 8,611 photos, 1,223 members
- Fototrove by Getty Images Archive 0 photos, 625 members
- burn, burn, burn! (start/end of film shots) 1,174 photos, 498 members
- suburbex 109 photos, 68 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2010 209 photos, 23 members
- The Brenizer Method 4,790 photos, 3,445 members
- OLV Fan Photos 403 photos, 74 members
- 28th Street Metro Cruise 759 photos, 21 members
- America's Favorite Farmers Markets 1,814 photos, 213 members
- Flickr: Port Huron 1,976 photos, 34 members
- Michigan Water 170 photos, 95 members
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks 155 photos, 15 members
- John Ball Zoo 364 photos, 72 members
- Grand Rapids Flickrwalk 339 photos, 45 members
- City of Grand Rapids, Michigan 1,356 photos, 67 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2009 881 photos, 29 members
- Grand Rapids Black & White 1,902 photos, 76 members
- Park(ing) Day GR 168 photos, 9 members
- GR Flickr Slideshow 300 photos, 80 members
- St. Joseph Island / St. Marys River 582 photos, 41 members
- Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk: Grand Rapids 2009 178 photos, 15 members
- Manistee 1,039 photos, 30 members
- Pola Dogs 1,688 photos, 329 members
- Grand Rapids - Festival of the Arts 2,130 photos, 99 members
- Toilets for Terry 161 photos, 79 members
- ArtPrize® Grand Rapids (Official) 23,125 photos, 959 members
- Holland, Michigan 4,996 photos, 297 members
- Film + EXIF 1,968 photos, 170 members
- Polaroid 264,234 photos, 22,974 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 15,803 members
- POLAROID SCARS 2,042 photos, 341 members
- Nikon Film Cameras 134,160 photos, 9,484 members
- Nikkor Manual lens on DSLR 14,741 photos, 970 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2008 2,526 photos, 39 members
- Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk: Grand Rapids 371 photos, 19 members
- The Blue Wall Project 2,304 photos, 309 members
- Grand Rapids - Blues on the Mall 809 photos, 50 members
- US Route 31 827 photos, 86 members
- dead squirrel 29 photos, 21 members
- The Breezeway - Ellsworth, East Jordan, Atwood, & Boyne Falls Mi 196 photos, 17 members
- Blandford Nature Center 246 photos, 25 members
- Fliquor 198 photos, 47 members
Brooke Pennington says:
"Matt is Michigan in all of the good ways. When I am being lazy and not leaving the comforts of home he is doing my traveling for me. Ice fishing, hockey games, bigfoot hunting, he does it all and I still get to be lazy and watch. For those of you who think I am being silly, Matt really did catch a sasquatch once. We here in Grand Rapids named him Chad and you are more than welcome to view some of his shots on flickr. Great catch Matt!"
13th February, 2009
Mac Girl says:
"Talent, thy name art Docksidepress!
Matt's titles and captions never fail to amuse and inform, but more importantly he is one of the most talented people that I know. He makes every shot look effortless... like anyone could pick up any old camera any day and get that particular shot of the firemen doing the hardest part of their job, or capture just that kind of light and bokeh on any flower, or make that tree look like no other tree in the world and yet at the same time make it remind you of every tree beautiful tree that you've ever seen in your life. That's talent! That's Matt!"
23rd February, 2008
"My last "testimonial" wasn't good enough for this man....
I don't know where Matt's talent has come from, but I would have to say that Matt is one of the best photographers in grand rapids, bar none. He has an eye for photography that is truley amazing and inspiring. his gallery is just stunning.
Not only is his photography amazing, but he's an amazing person. Matt is someone who would go out of his way to help you, or to even meet you. His dedication to grand rapids photography, both online here at flickr, and in the real life, is truly appreciated.
I'm glad to have him not only as a contact, but as a friend as well."
29th September, 2007
RM Stratton says:
"Matt is real, his photography... honest.
Like a pull tab Shlitz, this shit's for real,"
27th August, 2007
"I always look forward to something new popping up on Matt's photostream. He has a terrific eye for colors and patterns, with a sharp wit thrown into the mix. I love that he takes the time to explore his world, turning something as seemingly mundane as an office park into an exotic locale."
1st March, 2007
"An exceptional photographer, and willing to always have his camera ready; this is no small task! His photos always stand out from the crowd."
16th February, 2007
"Two words can describe docksidepress: AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER. His eye for photography is always dead on and he really seems to get those "out of the ballpark" shots. Not to mention that he is using a point and shoot camera and getting gallery worthy shots. This proves one major thing... its not the equipment, its the artist. Amazing work and I keep coming back for more."
26th November, 2006
- Matt Stangis
- May 2006
- Charlevoix, MI
- Grand Rapids, MI, USA (change)
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- visual junkie
- mstangis [at] comcast.net