Hi, I'm David Jackmanson from Brisbane, Australia.
I'm an Arkady Renko fan and I like to chat, and to promote interesting, fun things that are happening in Brisbane - taking photos is just one way I do that. I do a lot of photography with my mobile phone - first was a Sony Ericsson K800i, now I'm using a Nokia 6120c. The Nokia especially is not a good camera, but I still love being able to take a photo of something and have it online instantly.
In late May 2010 I was chosen by Telstra as one of 25 people to review the HTC Desire; in return I get to keep the phone. As part of this I'll be using the phone to post mobile photos here.
Since I've been on flickr, I've discovered a lot about my taste in photos. I certainly don't share the popular taste for cute children, close-ups of flowers, flowing streams with that "cloudy" effect in the water that I think you get from long exposure, and so on. I prefer the odd, photos that are obviously of a specific place and/or time, photos with lots of explanation, photos that show real events happening, photos that could easily be used to illustrate a Wikipedia article and so on. Have a look through my favourites to get an idea of what I like.
In Brisbane, there are also some photographic cliches - the Story Bridge, the Riverside Expressway and/or city skyline shots by night, and a big white Ferris wheel in the Southbank area. So I favour photos that don't show things like that - especially photos that are of the city, but not in the CBD (downtown) or Southbank.
These rules aren't hard and fast - if someone takes a photo of one of those things that's really original, I'll like it.
Thinking about what photos I like means I've thought about original photography vs beautifully photoshopped ones. I'm not good at post-processing - most of my processing is done in Picasa. I've seen thousands of photos that are very well processed with great deal of technical skill - far more skill than I have - that have made me yawn.
That doesn't mean that I reject post-production skills - I think if I learned some more I'd be a better photographer. But I am bored by what I call the "merely beautiful".
Oh, and I'm a supporter of Creative Commons - all my photos are licenced under a CC Attribution licence, meaning you can use them for any purpose, even commercial projects, as long as you credit me by including a link to bit. ly/ djackmanson (take out the spaces, please)
Of course, I can NOT give away the model rights in my photos - you can't use photos of people for commercial reasons without dealing directly with them. So if you use one of my photos in a commercial project without checking the legal status, don't come crying to me if there are problems later on.
Photos of David Jackmanson (4)
- History Alive 212 photos, 26 members
- State Library of Queensland - Collecting Disaster Photographs 927 photos, 45 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,975 photos, 13,306 members
- Deborah Conway & Willy Zygier 257 photos, 12 members
- Mee Goreng Day, May 5 22 photos, 5 members
- Stop Internet Censorship Brisbane 27 photos, 6 members
- Group of unusual photos/ 3 per day/ENJOY :) 46,301 photos, 1,496 members
- Fattitude 44 photos, 44 members
- Brisbane PARK(ing) Day 2009 225 photos, 8 members
- Community Puzzle Park(ing) Day 31 photos, 5 members
- Brisbane PARK(ing) Day 2008 283 photos, 16 members
- Sun State Roller Girls (SSRG) 1,164 photos, 42 members
- BTUB 1,224 photos, 77 members
- Brisbane Zombie 2007 280 photos, 22 members
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2,354 photos, 941 members
- Australian Postcode and Geotagging Group 10,162 photos, 289 members
- Brisbane 15,810 photos, 894 members
- Brisbane Suburbs North of River 1,063 photos, 27 members
- Brisbane City 3,353 photos, 160 members
- Brisbane Stencils 508 photos, 80 members
- City 6-Pack 381 photos, 131 members
- Queensland 28,564 photos, 1,302 members
- Street Stickers and Stencils 70,077 photos, 3,459 members
- stickerart 51,574 photos, 2,436 members
- Chinatown 28,353 photos, 5,031 members
- Fortitude Valley and New Farm, Brisbane, Australia 1,030 photos, 119 members
- Saved! The Australian Photographic Portrait Prize 187 photos, 525 members
- musicians 72,099 photos, 4,247 members
- In My Neighborhood 45,635 photos, 1,951 members
- West End 866 photos, 57 members
- Pro Wrestling Fan Pics 4,699 photos, 263 members
- Pro Wrestling 9,065 photos, 434 members
- Brisbane Graffiti 1,006 photos, 144 members
- Brisbane Meetup 3,098 photos, 838 members
- Brisbane's traffic signal boxes 723 photos, 107 members
- Trove: Australia in Pictures 156,993 photos, 3,149 members
- Ieri e oggi / Yesterday and today 542 photos, 100 members
- Brisbanites: Brisbane Photos 42,929 photos, 2,426 members
- Digital Photography School 217,309 photos, 16,300 members
David Jackmanson doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- David Jackmanson
- July 2006
- Brisbane, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Journalism Student
- My Google Profile