Hi, I'm David Jackmanson from Brisbane, Australia.
I'm an Arkady Renko fan and I like to chat, and to promote interesting, fun things that are happening in Brisbane - taking photos is just one way I do that. I do a lot of photography with my mobile phone - first was a Sony Ericsson K800i, now I'm using a Nokia 6120c. The Nokia especially is not a good camera, but I still love being able to take a photo of something and have it online instantly.
In late May 2010 I was chosen by Telstra as one of 25 people to review the HTC Desire; in return I get to keep the phone. As part of this I'll be using the phone to post mobile photos here.
Since I've been on flickr, I've discovered a lot about my taste in photos. I certainly don't share the popular taste for cute children, close-ups of flowers, flowing streams with that "cloudy" effect in the water that I think you get from long exposure, and so on. I prefer the odd, photos that are obviously of a specific place and/or time, photos with lots of explanation, photos that show real events happening, photos that could easily be used to illustrate a Wikipedia article and so on. Have a look through my favourites to get an idea of what I like.
In Brisbane, there are also some photographic cliches - the Story Bridge, the Riverside Expressway and/or city skyline shots by night, and a big white Ferris wheel in the Southbank area. So I favour photos that don't show things like that - especially photos that are of the city, but not in the CBD (downtown) or Southbank.
These rules aren't hard and fast - if someone takes a photo of one of those things that's really original, I'll like it.
Thinking about what photos I like means I've thought about original photography vs beautifully photoshopped ones. I'm not good at post-processing - most of my processing is done in Picasa. I've seen thousands of photos that are very well processed with great deal of technical skill - far more skill than I have - that have made me yawn.
That doesn't mean that I reject post-production skills - I think if I learned some more I'd be a better photographer. But I am bored by what I call the "merely beautiful".
Oh, and I'm a supporter of Creative Commons - all my photos are licenced under a CC Attribution licence, meaning you can use them for any purpose, even commercial projects, as long as you credit me by including a link to bit. ly/ djackmanson (take out the spaces, please)
Of course, I can NOT give away the model rights in my photos - you can't use photos of people for commercial reasons without dealing directly with them. So if you use one of my photos in a commercial project without checking the legal status, don't come crying to me if there are problems later on.
Photos of David Jackmanson (4)
- History Alive 189 photos, 26 members
- State Library of Queensland - Collecting Disaster Photographs 924 photos, 46 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,835 photos, 13,279 members
- Deborah Conway & Willy Zygier 261 photos, 13 members
- Mee Goreng Day, May 5 11 photos, 5 members
- Stop Internet Censorship Brisbane 27 photos, 6 members
- Group of unusual photos/ 3 per day/ENJOY :) 49,529 photos, 1,494 members
- Fattitude 35 photos, 51 members
- Brisbane PARK(ing) Day 2009 225 photos, 8 members
- Community Puzzle Park(ing) Day 31 photos, 5 members
- Brisbane PARK(ing) Day 2008 283 photos, 16 members
- Sun State Roller Girls (SSRG) 1,164 photos, 41 members
- BTUB 813 photos, 76 members
- Brisbane Zombie 2007 279 photos, 22 members
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day 2,358 photos, 944 members
- Australian Postcode and Geotagging Group 10,348 photos, 290 members
- Brisbane 18,968 photos, 973 members
- Brisbane Suburbs North of River 1,048 photos, 27 members
- Brisbane City 4,163 photos, 162 members
- Brisbane Stencils 476 photos, 80 members
- City Pulse 517 photos, 143 members
- Queensland 30,580 photos, 1,341 members
- Street Stickers and Stencils 72,569 photos, 3,462 members
- stickerart 51,924 photos, 2,450 members
- Chinatown 28,381 photos, 6,529 members
- Fortitude Valley and New Farm, Brisbane, Australia 1,048 photos, 120 members
- Saved! The Australian Photographic Portrait Prize 182 photos, 520 members
- musicians 75,282 photos, 4,327 members
- In My Neighborhood 47,392 photos, 1,955 members
- West End 934 photos, 61 members
- Pro Wrestling Fan Pics 4,709 photos, 270 members
- Pro Wrestling 11,110 photos, 454 members
- Brisbane Graffiti 966 photos, 156 members
- Brisbane Meetup 3,052 photos, 838 members
- Brisbane's traffic signal boxes 729 photos, 108 members
- Trove: Australia in Pictures 174,621 photos, 3,197 members
- Ieri e oggi / Yesterday and today 359 photos, 98 members
- Brisbanites: Brisbane Photos 45,724 photos, 2,467 members
- Digital Photography School 245,104 photos, 16,876 members
David Jackmanson doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- David Jackmanson
- July 2006
- Brisbane, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Journalism Student
- My Google Profile