I work in the intersection of digital + social media, user experience design and educational media. I also do some adjunct teaching and publish in some stuffy academic journals. I used to work on the Yahoo! Teachers project at, yep, Yahoo!
On photography: I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, but I'm having fun! One of these days I'll find time to learn how to take better photographs!
"chance contained every possibility. of course, some of it might be bad--that was what the ignorant dwelled on, and it was what frightened them--but a heartbeat away from what might be bad, unthinkably bad, was what might be unthinkably great, a bliss that even the gods would envy."
~Harry Crews, Celebration
Random Factoid # 319: I loathe curry.
Photos of debaird™ (10)
- #itstheprocess 2,277 photos, 12 members
- Flickr CPR 4,704 photos, 572 members
- It's Cinco de Mann-o! 0 photos, 2 members
- Instagram 125,644 photos, 8,036 members
- The Coca-Cola Company 6,720 photos, 3,066 members
- OC Weekly Flickr Pool 1,505 photos, 117 members
- ShakeItPhoto Best Of 6,999 photos, 1,222 members
- Yahoo! You In? 415 photos, 191 members
- The Listening Project 153 photos, 70 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 442,211 photos, 94,304 members
- Salt Lake Digs 471 photos, 49 members
- Star Signs 234 photos, 70 members
- 7x7 Magazine - SF Neighborhoods - Get Published! 16,101 photos, 715 members
- Local Beverages 30 photos, 53 members
- Neon Only! 4,651 photos, 182 members
- Enabled by Design 170 photos, 96 members
- Tiny Prints 383 photos, 619 members
- The Grand Ole Opry story in pictures. 1,269 photos, 84 members
- OCR Canyons, Coto, Ladera & RSM 119 photos, 24 members
- SMtv 257 photos, 137 members
- The Highway Girl 1 photo, 3 members
- let them read Cake 45 photos, 64 members
- CPSIA Endangered Books 908 photos, 325 members
- Vintage Vaudeville & Burlesque Images 806 photos, 890 members
- Utah Signs 4,375 photos, 230 members
- One Human Family 55 photos, 37 members
- Orange County History 4,878 photos, 289 members
- solitud 334 photos, 25 members
- AutoFave 130 photos, 30 members
- GURU's (Resturant) 9 photos, 7 members
- Big (and not so big) Silly Things 237 photos, 88 members
- Generation X 2,697 photos, 442 members
- PhotoJojo.com — [The Best Photo Projects, DIY, and Gear] 42,271 photos, 8,591 members
- Street or Studio 2,087 photos, 2,436 members
- Picnikers - closed 134,543 photos, 10,319 members
- Animoto 111 photos, 58 members
- NECC 2008 1,018 photos, 76 members
- Best VIDEOS on Flickr! 21,828 photos, 6,402 members
- Scratch'n'Sniff 1,339 photos, 86 members
- *I Love Birds* 446,993 photos, 15,114 members
- iPhone Disk Usage 14 photos, 22 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Weekend Showcase is *OPEN* 3,154,249 photos, 92,017 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 134,518 photos, 7,862 members
- NSTA Boston 2008 88 photos, 5 members
- Orange County Photography Club 9,327 photos, 526 members
- SKY DRAMA 2,033 photos, 211 members
- ANGELS Everywhere 7,795 photos, 1,654 members
- Confessions of a _____ _____ 10 photos, 18 members
- Captured (Artificial) Light 1,242 photos, 187 members
- Images of Georgia 14,238 photos, 917 members
"It is rarely about the pictures with me. It is always about the people. Derek is the best kind of people. If you're under the weather, you can find a trusty camera-phone shot of a neon chicken on his stream and a get well card in your real-life mailbox. If you break an Olympic record or, say, land a literary agent, there's a tall building in his stream and a real-life card in your real-life mailbox. And oh, the pencils!
Derek is thoroughly enjoyable. He makes you smile. With teeth."
16th November, 2007
"Derek is a breath of fresh air. Mention a distressed pop star under the age of 22 or whisper a rumor involving White House love triangles and he goes all VH-1 on your ass (which is a good thing). He loves his family, he champions his friends, and he is refreshingly nice (unless he sees a Hummer). He is also a plant spaz, which I appreciate. His moblog photos are amusing and every once in a while he sneaks in a really amazing shot or two (or three, or four...). D? He's good people."
28th March, 2007
"I believe D is the male version of me incarnate. We're true dorks at heart (with style baby!) who still will fight little children for the cool Legos and laugh until we pee our pants at movies like Spaceballs and Airplane! Embrace your childishness!"
4th August, 2006
"derek is one of those people you come across in life where you think, wait, don't i know you? he's got a sweet, sweet soul, a kick-ass sense of humor, and great taste in all things entertainmental (yeah, i made it up, SO WHAT?!?). plus, he takes a good photo now and then. with a cameraphone, even."
24th April, 2006
- July 2004
- "the OC", but back then we just called it Orange County
- I am:
- education technology, new media, social software, online community
- Barking Robot