You can order prints or digital downloads of my images from my Zenfolio portfolio site: deanforbes.zenfolio.com/
About my photography:
- I like to photograph all subjects, however, my interest and focus - pardon the pun - has moved toward more street and cultural subjects. I'm interested in doing more journalistic photography for humanitarian causes. I went to India in November 2010, 2011 and 2012 to do volunteer documentary photography for NGOs that do drinking water projects in rural villages.
I agree with Ansel Adams who said that a good photograph is knowing where to stand, to which I add Dean's axioms:
- Be at the right place at the right time intentionally, or
- Be at the right place at the right time by accident.
Photos of Dean Forbes (5)
- The Colours of: Autumn 387,003 photos, 17,765 members
- Candid & Street Photography 886,715 photos, 23,887 members
- Night Photography 320,966 photos, 21,266 members
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION 4,509 photos, 1,353 members
- PCNW Digital 1 Fall 2013 177 photos, 15 members
- Modern Heliography 3,192 photos, 159 members
- Just Street Photography 1,152,283 photos, 38,521 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 89,355 photos, 3,693 members
- Fuji X100 117,120 photos, 7,887 members
- Fuji x100s 35,727 photos, 3,739 members
- FUJIFILM X STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 19,429 photos, 1,041 members
- Life on Fuji Street 2,629 photos, 511 members
- Street! 153,879 photos, 4,139 members
- Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.8G 3,531 photos, 747 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,842 photos, 56,170 members
- All Street Photography 302,194 photos, 6,233 members
- Nikkor 35mm 16,736 photos, 1,300 members
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G 9,021 photos, 2,010 members
- Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S 23,837 photos, 2,762 members
- Seattle Street 3,553 photos, 797 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 184,023 photos, 10,064 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, Politics, and News 295,935 photos, 19,229 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 83,428 photos, 4,084 members
- Vivian Maiers style 22,790 photos, 629 members
- A Portrait Group 417,572 photos, 9,789 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 537,438 photos, 25,466 members
- Pacific Northwest Waterfalls 3,032 photos, 404 members
- Olympic Sculpture Park, Seattle, Washington 1,845 photos, 311 members
- Discovery India 58,211 photos, 2,276 members
- India Images 304,667 photos, 14,868 members
- Portrait★Faces 77,092 photos, 43,844 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 76,657 photos, 3,637 members
- Birds Photos 1,245,396 photos, 51,128 members
- Nature 1,414,450 photos, 50,066 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 893,444 photos, 47,625 members
- Life in Black & White 577,664 photos, 20,925 members
- B&W 3,300,878 photos, 162,676 members
- Long Exposures 331,555 photos, 30,751 members
- Best Black & White!! **Cover Photo Comp Now Open**!!! 82,553 photos, 3,466 members
- Arboreal, the Art of Trees (Tree/s must be the focus of the pic) 46,257 photos, 5,851 members
- Seattle Arboretum 719 photos, 86 members
- University of Washington Botanic Gardens 903 photos, 84 members
- Architecture 1,267,143 photos, 73,870 members
- silhouette 297,601 photos, 41,151 members
- Center for Wooden Boats 1,292 photos, 103 members
- Abstract Photos 111,824 photos, 18,783 members
- Long Exposure 550,188 photos, 52,082 members
- Wet Reflections 186,307 photos, 18,632 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 979,215 photos, 59,163 members
- Night Images 912,461 photos, 116,751 members
"What I love about Dean's photos is not only his eye for clarity and detail, but his ability to elicit a positive response from just about every subject he photographs. His photos are individualistic and honest as he is himself.
I'm so glad Dean is a member of the FLICKR community, and I take personal delight in the positive feedback his photographs have elicited. It's all rather serendipitious for me, as I had the pleasure of making Dean's acquaintance on the Yahoo games server several months ago, whereby we struck up an email correspondance, and I subsequently invited him to take a look at the FLICKR site.
And the rest is history, as the saying goes :-)"
10th October, 2009
Ed Karjala says:
"I am writing this on the occasion of Dean's 3 year "flickrversary". Dean is extremely talented as a photographer and also as a human being as is obvious while browsing his amazing photostream, enjoying the images and reading the many accolades. He has been an inspiring and encouraging presence on flickr from my earliest days here and I look forward to enjoying his work for many years to come!"
17th August, 2008
"There's a lot of testimonials on this page, and that tells you something about a Flickr photographer.
To save you reading them all, here's a summary:
Go and look at his pictures. Now.
And pray he makes you a contact.
If either of those things happens, your Flickr experience will be immeasurably brighter....."
8th March, 2008
"This testimony is way overdue as I have been benefitting from Dean's knowledge and extremely helpful comments for quite sometime. Always thoughful and encouraging, as an amateur photographer I continue to be surprised that he even bothers!
His gorgeous watery reflection images are the best on flickr and he captures the beauty of our Pacific Northwest as few do. Dean is easily one of my favorite contacts and I encourage you to enjoy his considerable body of work. Personally, I think Dean should be published!"
2nd October, 2007
Twinkling Jade says:
"Dean is one of first few friends I've made on Flickr. He is not only a great photographer and artist with true talent but also a man with humble spirit. I appreciate his way of sharing his knowledge with us and his kind comments. Thank you Dean, you're a true inspiration!"
19th August, 2007
Martin Gommel says:
"Well, Dean a very kind person who has understood the rules of photography more than many others, because he knows how to use and how to break them. Dean has an photographic eye and he always makes some shot that I can*t help but like it.
Dean, it is very good to know you !"
9th July, 2007
Steve took it says:
"Dean produces some of my favorite photographs on flickr, as well as some of my favorite comments! His great eye and great sense of humor are a terriffic combination. His eye for light and shadow and composition is just amazing. Thanks for the art and the smiles!"
1st July, 2007
Robert Rountree says:
"Dean's eyes are lenses, that comb his world, picking out and aligning objects that fall together into frames from his heart..... it's one thing to want to photograph for fun... it's another when passion always drives you to express your visions."
21st May, 2007
"it is from one year that I am frequently active on flickr, and without to remove merits to the other members, I must recognize in Dean a quality that I have seen in little others photographers who expose here, and these others naturally they are its straits contacts (J fobes and Fogatee etc) .
I think is one of the best TRUE photographers who do not use heavy adulterate or make up, leaving to see professionality and sensibility that distinguishes one novice from a professional, perhaps to april I have them possibility to know it of person in Roma !!
(and although all the defects of flickr thank also they)
"...excuse for ugly English, use the translator online...""
30th March, 2007
"Dean Forbes is one of my friend that he is Great person so friendly,
also very encouraging and positive of others.
I look forward to reading his comments."
and he also has awesome photo stream.
I am happy to be her friend too..
Keep up the fabulous work
4th April, 2007
jaki good miller says:
"Dean Forbes is a gifted photographer. He is one of my very favorite on flickr! Within miles of his home, he captures the most exquisite images. I thoroughly enjoy all his stuff, but am especially delighted by his "morning light" set. His passion for photography shines through his wonderful images. I check out his photosream daily and am never disappointed! His keen eye, technical skill, and creativity inspire me!
Besides being one of my flickr heroes, Dean has also become one of my favorite flickr friends. His comments are refreshingly honest and witty. I so appreciate his affirmation and humor.
I am already looking forward to what Dean will post in 2007!"
1st January, 2007
Jeff Clow says:
"I've had the privilege to get to know Dean through his masterful photography and his tireless devotion to this magical site. One look at his photostream will tell you about the man's unique abilities as a photographer - he is truly gifted behind the lens.
But unless you are a Flickr fan, you might not know that this caring person spends countless hours encouraging others by his kind visits and positive comments to their photostreams.
Flickr is a better place because of Dean Forbes and we're very fortunate to have him as a leader within the Flickr community..."
19th October, 2006
"I have the utmost respect for Dean and his work. His black and white images are among the best I've seen ANYWHERE. He's one of the photographers who make me long to go where many of his pictures are taken. He has a gift for capturing the spirit and beauty of everything around him.
I feel honored to have him as a contact of flickr, and always love to see his new stuff! It's also quite a delight to receive comments from him."
2nd October, 2006
"Dean is really a wonderful person and a great photographer!!!
Not only that his comments are really hilarious, helpful or encouraging, he also shares his great experience and technical skills in photography through his helpfull explanations on his shots. All his photos have (no matter what subject) this wonderful and unique Dean Forbes-style. I learned really a lot in photography just by watching his work.
And: If I had to choose a favourite of the favourites, his shot "morning: calm" would be definitly the winner. I have never seen a photo that is so perfect to me!
I am really glad that I met him here and am able to see his work, show him mine, can get his feedback, and most of all that I can call him a friend!"
29th August, 2006
Kris Kros says:
"I don't know any other Deans on flickr but Dean Forbes.
He is definitely a Dean of flickr college and a Forbes Top artist on flickr. Need I say more?
He finds time to visit his countless horde of supporters and spend time to add comments. I for one love to read whatever Dean has to say on my photos. I feel elated when he says I have done well. I definitely will love him to tell me if my picture is not at par with the level of his satisfaction too.
To summarize it, he is Dean Forbes, the man to watch always on flickr. Proud to be your friend, Dean."
4th August, 2006
Isa Farnik says:
"Dean Forbes is clearly a master of the sky and water as he captures them through an objective eye and a powerful lens. He continues to produce high quality work and clearly displays a dedication to a style which suites him. A recomended contact for anyone wishing to see his world through his lens."
23rd July, 2006
Lida Rose says:
"Dean has three abilities:
A good eye for composition.
These three things make for a superb photographer. That is what Dean is. He never fails to amaze me. Thanks Dean, for the daily inspiration, and also thanks so much for the kind and helpful comments you leave for others."
7th June, 2006
"Dean's photos invite the viewer to consider the beauty that exists around us all the time. Besides creating art, he also has a generous heart and gives freely of his time and consideration to other photographers on Flickr."
9th January, 2006
"It's hard to imagine that Dean's photos can get any better now that he's got his new camera, but they already seem to be improving! How can that be? Thank you, Dean, for sharing your beautiful images with us, and for being such a fine commenter on others' shots. We know we've done well when you pat us on the back."
26th December, 2005
"Dean Forbes was making wonderful photographs BEFORE he got some decent equipment. His artistic eye, natural sense of composition, and keen sense of finding things others might overlook make his photos special.
I love his comments on my photos, as always indicate that he has really LOOKED and appreciated what I have done. His comments are funny, helpful, and encouraging. He is an inspiration, a source of ideas, and encouragement. All in one tidy package of skill and talent."
26th December, 2005
"I can recalled that Dean is the earlier contact's I made on www.flickr.com
Since I move to this counrty, I always like to visit Washington State. Now, I can visit without living my home office.
Thanks is due to Dean for capturing all the superb images of WA & the natures.
All his images are of invalueable studies for those who visit here.
Your are a great friend on the net!!"
17th December, 2005
pearl grace says:
"Dean = WOW! WOW! WOW!
Behind the lens of Dean's camera (his new Nikon!) is an extraordinary photographer. Dean captures the most spectacular, amazing, astounding, brilliant photos.
Browse through his photostream and you'll find yourself exclaiming with wonder and delight as each and every thumbnail loads.
I applaud Dean's creative talent and I appreciate his integrity, his kind spirit and his clever wit.
Dean, you're the tops!"
3rd December, 2005
"You've come to the right place to see some of the most colorful photos on Flickr. And if you missed today's sunrise or sunset, don't worry, Dean's got it covered!
P.S. Of course, I'm impartial between his color and b&w shots :)"
16th November, 2005
jon fobes says:
"Besides being a fine photographer -- creative and technically proficient -- Dean is clever and has a great sense of fun in his pictures AND his comments, which are frequent and also supportive. Dean encouraged me to try black-and-white photos, which has opened a new area for me. Dean, you're super; keep taking great photos!"
6th November, 2005
"If Dean's heart had an aperture, it'd be f1. I was always sceptical about 'joining' Flickr because I worried it would just be another popularity contest. Users like Dean totally relieved me of that fear. None of this is to say I would look at his pictures if they sucked, of course. Thankfully, they don't."
14th October, 2005
- April 2005
- I am:
- diforbes [at] gmail.com