San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 179 photos, 95 members
- Falconography & Cometology 133 photos, 13 members
- Gasometers 1,252 photos, 282 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 732 photos, 208 members
- Manual on Digital 55 photos, 90 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME #1 43 photos, 95 members
- Rückenfigur 9,053 photos, 1,224 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With fulvue...but in troubles!!!! 59 photos, 49 members
- Ladder to the Stars 20,366 photos, 2,249 members
- Shooting Film 34,328 photos, 1,719 members
- Poodle Trees 131 photos, 38 members
- my eyes won't shut 3,181 photos, 724 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 37,067 photos, 960 members
- Parkology 3,461 photos, 167 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 12,865 photos, 116 members
- keys to the whip 41 photos, 11 members
- Car(s) Eater 2,840 photos, 124 members
- AUBADE Magazine (currently unedited-I'm spending 2012 writing) 12,295 photos, 307 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 27,770 photos, 4,142 members
- Fraction Magazine 30,074 photos, 2,709 members
- New Topographics 51,349 photos, 1,379 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 77 photos, 8 members
- the lonely caravan 348 photos, 25 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 16,366 photos, 864 members
- Only in California 1,314 photos, 263 members
- Laundromat Chairs 143 photos, 70 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 3,004 photos, 274 members
- Fake DS 62 photos, 9 members
- db|db project 2 photos, 12 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 7,115 photos, 253 members
- Sightglass Coffee 326 photos, 36 members
- Postcards from America 12,713 photos, 786 members
- American Typologies 21,447 photos, 530 members
- PhotoDonuts 52,769 photos, 3,032 members
- Focal Press Photography 4,749 photos, 322 members
- American Elegy 19,557 photos, 472 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 2,372 photos, 87 members
- The Social Landscape 25,143 photos, 640 members
- Der T3 in seinem natuerlichen Umfeld 57 photos, 8 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,239 photos, 375 members
- The Evocative Object World 6,499 photos, 153 members
- We have a plan 3,699 photos, 707 members
- Urban Tristesse 5,268 photos, 274 members
- Analog VW Aircooled 2,480 photos, 159 members
- This city called Earth 4,592 photos, 626 members
- The Artists Coalition 383 photos, 131 members
- The Voice of Things 278 photos, 94 members
- http://troppotardi.com 26,991 photos, 854 members
- The not so ordinary car 680 photos, 36 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 45,386 photos, 1,814 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
30th November, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
21st July, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
22nd December, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
11th December, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
29th July, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
19th June, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
22nd October, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
14th March, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
8th June, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour