San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- Falconography & Cometology 164 photos, 15 members
- Gasometers 1,273 photos, 284 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 589 photos, 235 members
- Manual on Digital 184 photos, 103 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME #1 50 photos, 102 members
- Rückenfigur 9,118 photos, 1,223 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......On the road.... 69 photos, 49 members
- Ladder to the Stars 20,212 photos, 2,270 members
- Shooting Film 45,236 photos, 2,030 members
- Poodle Trees 133 photos, 37 members
- my eyes won't shut 3,172 photos, 730 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 40,717 photos, 1,029 members
- Parkology 3,971 photos, 176 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 13,239 photos, 120 members
- keys to the whip 38 photos, 11 members
- Car(s) Eater 3,350 photos, 134 members
- ISSUE 9 NOW ON SALE - http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/71868 12,867 photos, 325 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 30,695 photos, 4,257 members
- Fraction Magazine 29,615 photos, 2,742 members
- New Topographics 54,187 photos, 1,430 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 89 photos, 9 members
- the lonely caravan 361 photos, 25 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 18,786 photos, 946 members
- Only in California 1,311 photos, 268 members
- Laundromat Chairs 147 photos, 70 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 3,459 photos, 281 members
- Fake DS 66 photos, 9 members
- db|db project 2 photos, 11 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 7,319 photos, 259 members
- Sightglass Coffee 329 photos, 37 members
- Postcards from America 13,267 photos, 784 members
- American Typologies 22,952 photos, 551 members
- PhotoDonuts 56,899 photos, 3,055 members
- Focal Press Photography 5,059 photos, 329 members
- American Elegy 20,288 photos, 477 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 2,536 photos, 93 members
- The Social Landscape 27,244 photos, 670 members
- Der T3 in seinem natuerlichen Umfeld 40 photos, 8 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,226 photos, 381 members
- The Evocative Object World 6,914 photos, 157 members
- We have a plan 3,342 photos, 644 members
- Urban Tristesse 5,214 photos, 276 members
- Analog VW Aircooled 2,579 photos, 162 members
- This city called Earth 4,771 photos, 629 members
- The Artists Coalition 383 photos, 132 members
- The Voice of Things 281 photos, 99 members
- http://troppotardi.com 27,692 photos, 861 members
- The not so ordinary car 720 photos, 37 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 46,398 photos, 1,844 members
- Voigtländer Bessa III 3,705 photos, 318 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
30th November, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
21st July, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
22nd December, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
11th December, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
29th July, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
19th June, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
22nd October, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
14th March, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
8th June, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour