I have been painting and drawing most of my life and after a period of ill health I retired as an academic from Warwick University in 2006 to become a new media fine artist and fine art photographer in Bath, a decision I consider to have been best of my life. Aside from my artistic activities and academic writing I also do publicity photography for the beautiful 14th century Bath Abbey.
I am a very painterly digital artist and my work ranges widely from portraits and landscape pieces, to abstract, surrealist and also conceptual works. My limited edition fine art archive prints are in private collections across the globe, and my works have been used in a wide range of printed publications (books, articles, brochures, theatre programmes, posters etc) and also in an art-house movie in the US. My Giclée prints are available from my Yessy on-line Gallery (link below).
I am represented by Kate Berge. Please direct all enquiries about commercial applications of my work to her at email@example.com
I have written and published a number of academic books, articles and poems and continue to publish academic texts and to give invited lectures to schools, colleges and universities in my discipline.
For an explanation of my digital methods of working see my short essay 'On being a "new media" digital artist.' at:
See the complete collection of my on-line art and photography here: www.flickr.com/photos/david_lewis_baker_arts/collections/
Purchase my works on-line here:
Forthcoming exhibition of my photography at the bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution, see the book linked to this here: www.blurb.com/books/2477553 (note there is a full screen button under the image of the cover to the right):
Working Methods and Techniques
I move scanned and/or photographic digital images backwards and forwards across a variety of low cost art and photographic software, as I do not wish to be trapped into using standard Photoshop style filters and in order to develop my own unique methods of working. I employ software controls and the mouse pointer as I would paints, brushes and different textured surfaces of the traditional artist's trade. This approach also leads to a somewhat painterly style and finish to much of my work.
To list the programmes I use is off little use as the real secret lies in the unique way I use (and misuse) the software and in the way I move pieces in progress backwards and forwards between the various programmes. I also scan in my conventional paintings and drawings to create under paintings for some works. I have never read a software user's manual in my life, I simply take the tools that I find on screen and begin working with them in my own way, discovering what they were designed to do and more importantly, what they actually will do for my purposes. The first and only rule is that no tool should used simply as it was intended by the software writer.
A few selected works:
Globe #47 (Homage to Karel Appel)
Ladies of the Canyon:
Op Art Zebras #2 (After Vasarely)
Ocean 144 (Xscapes)
Colour Re-Mix #8
Iraq War Windows of Suffering #10
Bath Life - May 2009
Bath Life Cover June/July 2009
See my latest works on Flickr here: www.flickr.com/photos/david_lewis_baker_arts/
Collective Flickr groups I founded and administer:
War and Memory in Art and Photography
Please Note I do not make contacts/friends with anyone who does not have a proper profile and/or evidence of a body of serious work.
Updated - June 2010
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
Photos of David Lewis-Baker (4)
- Thinks Photo Magazin 4,121 photos, 1,058 members
- LONG DISTANCE WALKS 11,322 photos, 1,268 members
- The Land in Black & White 4,258 photos, 768 members
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 30,540 photos, 1,847 members
- Black And White Masterpiece 116 photos, 60 members
- Flou & Filé 11,064 photos, 391 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,015 photos, 1,924 members
- July 12th, 2012 - 12 Juillet 2012 112 photos, 172 members
- Art at the Edge 254 photos, 11 members
- No Rules Street Photography (NRSP) 32,122 photos, 1,980 members
- All Street Photography 339,055 photos, 6,860 members
- Street Photography UK 48,559 photos, 2,450 members
- Street Photography 88,054 photos, 31,323 members
- FOTOX1000 - WAITING FOR NEXT EDITION 721 photos, 681 members
- Fictitious Reality-47th Exhibition-Richard Brocken 17 photos, 244 members
- Fictitious Reality 46TH Exhibition-anna morosini 12 photos, 272 members
- Fictitious Reality 45TH Exhibition-Jack.ed 20 photos, 236 members
- Fictitious Reality 44TH Exhibition-Martha MGR 22 photos, 294 members
- Fictitious Reality 43 th Exhibition-NaPix -- Hmong Soul / N A 22 photos, 350 members
- Fictitious Reality 42th Exhibition-Louise LeGresley 21 photos, 255 members
- artland 589,677 photos, 30,413 members
- Fictitious Reality-41Th Exhibition-Plumbelina- 0 photos, 262 members
- www.kemalvuraltarlan.com 220 photos, 399 members
- Fictitious Reality 40TH Exhibition-Joseph Wigfall 30 photos, 296 members
- Fictitious Reality-39th Exhibition-.Betina. 22 photos, 333 members
- Fictitious Reality 38 th Exhibition-Jorge Meis 19 photos, 775 members
- Book Covers for Imaginary Novels 5,790 photos, 473 members
- tondo tondo tondo! [a group home for special round images] 2,474 photos, 571 members
- Fictitious Reality 37 th Exhibition- ericguo06 0 photos, 331 members
- Fictitious Reality 36 th Exhibition- Kirsty Mitchell 26 photos, 351 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 955 photos, 577 members
- Art - Drawing and Painting 360,574 photos, 16,728 members
- *WHAT YOUR FACE SAYS* (Post 3 -Award 5) CONTEST B/W MAY 42,705 photos, 3,085 members
- musée des vivants!! 11,069 photos, 400 members
- Quality Abstracts 18,823 photos, 7,261 members
- Top Marques Monaco 2010 (TMM 2010) 667 photos, 1,440 members
- Fictitious Reality 35th Exhibition-ps70 returning slowly 20 photos, 405 members
- Organic Abstracts and Designs 199 photos, 33 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 182,297 photos, 22,030 members
- Fictitious Reality 34th Exhibition-walter.breidenbach 18 photos, 431 members
- Fictitious Reality 33 th Exhibition- maree. 18 photos, 531 members
- Appropriation Art 149 photos, 14 members
- Colors Of The Heart! *Invited Images Only*! 82,599 photos, 8,301 members
- African Art 3,177 photos, 489 members
- Patterns and Designs 76,526 photos, 6,532 members
- ! INTERIOR DESIGN & ARCHITECTURE 17,954 photos, 1,694 members
- art795 21,682 photos, 791 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 428,695 photos, 102,826 members
- Desi Couture Fashions 128 photos, 38 members
- All Gone to Look for America (USA, United States of America) 23,651 photos, 605 members
Martin Beek says:
"David's work has a great deal of insight in that it has visual appeal as well as having strong concepts behind it. His photography is always of a high standard and a pleasure to browse through. His sets are very well constructed and his work deserves a huge audience here on Flickr and beyond!"
22nd January, 2009
"Over the past few years I have found David to be:
Fair, thoughtful, lucid, civil, intelligent, multi-talented, courageous, sensitive, Good, loyal, consistent, educated, curious, energetic, inspirational.
I doubt that many folks, if any at all, get much better than this.
28th October, 2008
art makes me smile says:
"Multi talented as a conceptual artist David Lewis-Baker often uses his own skilful photographs (which are interesting just as they are) to further manipulate his subject and mold it into a finish piece of sophisticated digital fine art.
Having added David as a contact I look forward to every new creation which drops into my e-mail box with regularity. His work is prolific, full of imagination and energy. A sheer joy to view!
Pour yourself a cup of tea, get yourself comfortable and enjoy Davids work.... amazing!"
4th April, 2008
"David is a very talented conceptual artist, who's gift for communication is as evident as his artistic ability. He moves easily from one style to another, but is never condescending nor "difficult". His writing on his art is thought-provoking, clear and knowledgeable. He embraces digital art as well as traditional art methods, sometimes merging them together, with interesting results.
Check out David's photostream - you will be both entertained and educated!
4th March, 2008
- August 2007
- Boston (UK)
- Bath, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Artist Photographer Author Poet