I have been painting and drawing most of my life and after a period of ill health I retired as an academic from Warwick University in 2006 to become a new media fine artist and fine art photographer in Bath, a decision I consider to have been best of my life. Aside from my artistic activities and academic writing I also do publicity photography for the beautiful 14th century Bath Abbey.
I am a very painterly digital artist and my work ranges widely from portraits and landscape pieces, to abstract, surrealist and also conceptual works. My limited edition fine art archive prints are in private collections across the globe, and my works have been used in a wide range of printed publications (books, articles, brochures, theatre programmes, posters etc) and also in an art-house movie in the US. My Giclée prints are available from my Yessy on-line Gallery (link below).
I am represented by Kate Berge. Please direct all enquiries about commercial applications of my work to her at email@example.com
I have written and published a number of academic books, articles and poems and continue to publish academic texts and to give invited lectures to schools, colleges and universities in my discipline.
For an explanation of my digital methods of working see my short essay 'On being a "new media" digital artist.' at:
See the complete collection of my on-line art and photography here: www.flickr.com/photos/david_lewis_baker_arts/collections/
Purchase my works on-line here:
Forthcoming exhibition of my photography at the bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution, see the book linked to this here: www.blurb.com/books/2477553 (note there is a full screen button under the image of the cover to the right):
Working Methods and Techniques
I move scanned and/or photographic digital images backwards and forwards across a variety of low cost art and photographic software, as I do not wish to be trapped into using standard Photoshop style filters and in order to develop my own unique methods of working. I employ software controls and the mouse pointer as I would paints, brushes and different textured surfaces of the traditional artist's trade. This approach also leads to a somewhat painterly style and finish to much of my work.
To list the programmes I use is off little use as the real secret lies in the unique way I use (and misuse) the software and in the way I move pieces in progress backwards and forwards between the various programmes. I also scan in my conventional paintings and drawings to create under paintings for some works. I have never read a software user's manual in my life, I simply take the tools that I find on screen and begin working with them in my own way, discovering what they were designed to do and more importantly, what they actually will do for my purposes. The first and only rule is that no tool should used simply as it was intended by the software writer.
A few selected works:
Globe #47 (Homage to Karel Appel)
Ladies of the Canyon:
Op Art Zebras #2 (After Vasarely)
Ocean 144 (Xscapes)
Colour Re-Mix #8
Iraq War Windows of Suffering #10
Bath Life - May 2009
Bath Life Cover June/July 2009
See my latest works on Flickr here: www.flickr.com/photos/david_lewis_baker_arts/
Collective Flickr groups I founded and administer:
War and Memory in Art and Photography
Please Note I do not make contacts/friends with anyone who does not have a proper profile and/or evidence of a body of serious work.
Updated - June 2010
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
Photos of David Lewis-Baker (4)
- Color Escape: B&W ONLY (NO COLOR) 29,062 photos, 1,772 members
- Black And White Masterpiece 110 photos, 56 members
- Flou & Filé 10,337 photos, 385 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 15,897 photos, 1,924 members
- July 12th, 2012 - 12 Juillet 2012 114 photos, 172 members
- Art at the Edge 254 photos, 11 members
- No Rules Street Photography (NRSP) 32,414 photos, 1,958 members
- All Street Photography 302,132 photos, 6,233 members
- Street Photography UK 46,043 photos, 2,376 members
- Street Photography 88,597 photos, 29,977 members
- FOTOX1000 - WAITING FOR NEXT EDITION 721 photos, 685 members
- Fictitious Reality-47th Exhibition-Richard Brocken 17 photos, 247 members
- Fictitious Reality 46TH Exhibition-anna morosini 12 photos, 274 members
- Fictitious Reality 45TH Exhibition-Jack.ed 22 photos, 240 members
- Fictitious Reality 44TH Exhibition-Martha MGR 22 photos, 297 members
- Fictitious Reality 43 th Exhibition-NaPix -- Hmong Soul / N A 22 photos, 354 members
- Fictitious Reality 42th Exhibition-Louise LeGresley 21 photos, 258 members
- artland 558,070 photos, 29,742 members
- Fictitious Reality-41Th Exhibition-Plumbelina- 0 photos, 267 members
- www.kemalvuraltarlan.com 226 photos, 400 members
- Fictitious Reality 40TH Exhibition-Joseph Wigfall 30 photos, 300 members
- Fictitious Reality-39th Exhibition-.Betina. 22 photos, 336 members
- Fictitious Reality 38 th Exhibition-Jorge Meis 19 photos, 780 members
- Book Covers for Imaginary Novels 5,765 photos, 477 members
- tondo tondo tondo! [a group home for special round images] 2,388 photos, 570 members
- Fictitious Reality 37 th Exhibition- ericguo06 0 photos, 336 members
- Fictitious Reality 36 th Exhibition- Kirsty Mitchell 26 photos, 356 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 950 photos, 578 members
- Art - Drawing and Painting 348,763 photos, 16,614 members
- *WHAT YOUR FACE SAYS* (Post 3 -Award 5) CONTEST B/W MAY 41,589 photos, 3,075 members
- musée des vivants!! 10,837 photos, 396 members
- Quality Abstracts 16,287 photos, 7,256 members
- Top Marques Monaco 2010 (TMM 2010) 667 photos, 1,440 members
- Fictitious Reality 35th Exhibition-ps70 returning slowly 20 photos, 409 members
- Organic Abstracts and Designs 152 photos, 31 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 181,534 photos, 22,083 members
- Fictitious Reality 34th Exhibition-walter.breidenbach 18 photos, 437 members
- Fictitious Reality 33 th Exhibition- maree. 18 photos, 536 members
- Appropriation Art 148 photos, 14 members
- Colors Of The Heart! *Invited Images Only*! 80,315 photos, 8,259 members
- African Art 3,186 photos, 483 members
- Patterns and Designs 74,992 photos, 6,497 members
- ! INTERIOR DESIGN & ARCHITECTURE 17,624 photos, 1,697 members
- art795 21,509 photos, 795 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 431,705 photos, 100,509 members
- Desi Couture Fashions 64 photos, 36 members
- All Gone to Look for America (USA, United States of America) 21,447 photos, 594 members
- Landscape Critique Circle 50 photos, 80 members
- Official Bath Abbey Site 158 photos, 61 members
- Bath In Time - City On Show 144 photos, 49 members
Martin Beek says:
"David's work has a great deal of insight in that it has visual appeal as well as having strong concepts behind it. His photography is always of a high standard and a pleasure to browse through. His sets are very well constructed and his work deserves a huge audience here on Flickr and beyond!"
22nd January, 2009
"Over the past few years I have found David to be:
Fair, thoughtful, lucid, civil, intelligent, multi-talented, courageous, sensitive, Good, loyal, consistent, educated, curious, energetic, inspirational.
I doubt that many folks, if any at all, get much better than this.
28th October, 2008
art makes me smile says:
"Multi talented as a conceptual artist David Lewis-Baker often uses his own skilful photographs (which are interesting just as they are) to further manipulate his subject and mold it into a finish piece of sophisticated digital fine art.
Having added David as a contact I look forward to every new creation which drops into my e-mail box with regularity. His work is prolific, full of imagination and energy. A sheer joy to view!
Pour yourself a cup of tea, get yourself comfortable and enjoy Davids work.... amazing!"
4th April, 2008
"David is a very talented conceptual artist, who's gift for communication is as evident as his artistic ability. He moves easily from one style to another, but is never condescending nor "difficult". His writing on his art is thought-provoking, clear and knowledgeable. He embraces digital art as well as traditional art methods, sometimes merging them together, with interesting results.
Check out David's photostream - you will be both entertained and educated!
4th March, 2008
- August 2007
- Boston (UK)
- Bath, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Artist Photographer Author Poet