Total Escape is DanaMite's California creation. The independent travel source for the golden state and all the glorious back roads. Celebrating 15 years online!
Camping & outdoors are my passion. So much so, that I gave up my 3D animation career a decade ago to create my own web site on California, exploring the back roads. My lil Nikon Coolpix 950 camera kept me working hard for almost 12 years; Summer 2011 update After unsuccessfully searching for more CF memory while traveling 'on the road', I just gave up on the old skool and bought a new NIKON Coolpix L120 in Susanville (of all places).
The last 2 decades I have been traveling, camping, hiking, off-roading & compiling a visual & informational database featuring mostly rural California. Vacation spots & weekend adventures. Best parks, small towns, lakes, forests, rivers, trails.... a hell-of-a-lotta dirt roads, plus some 4x4 routes. Photos of real places & real content about real California. Yes, you can drive on past the factory outlet malls and casinos.
Next weekend make it all outside!
totalescape.com/gear - California Gear
totalescape.blogspot.com - Well Off the Beaten Path
Thanks to all who have contributed! Many of my flickr contacts listed below have graciously allowed me to post their unique California photos on my awesome travel site, Total Escape. When cruising all the small towns A-Z, you will notice these.
If you have an awesome shot of California and would like to have it featured online with Total Escape - just lemme know via flickr mail.
- Arnold Rim Trail 261 photos, 11 members
- KINGSBURG CALIFORNIA 270 photos, 9 members
- Nikon Coolpix L120 2,577 photos, 139 members
- Yes on Prop 37: Label GMO 33 photos, 17 members
- Right2Know About GMOs 608 photos, 61 members
- World Food Day, Rally for the Right to Know 91 photos, 3 members
- #OccupyWallStreet 16,219 photos, 673 members
- 4x4 Adventures 3,591 photos, 300 members
- Best of Yosemite 1,777 photos, 227 members
- my wilderness weekend 19 photos, 24 members
- Lakes of the Inland Empire 752 photos, 50 members
- Yosemite Falls 677 photos, 126 members
- Curioso en definitiva 52 photos, 46 members
- Davenport, California 932 photos, 162 members
- Bishop Ca 1,008 photos, 89 members
- Kern County Photographers 14,097 photos, 208 members
- Let's Be More Nature! 1,521 photos, 52 members
- San Luis Obispo County Wildflowers 542 photos, 54 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,147 photos, 6,384 members
- I Love Camping and Hiking! 1,254 photos, 185 members
- Kern County Photographers Wildflower and Nature Chapter 913 photos, 35 members
- Earth From the Air 11,901 photos, 1,128 members
- Randsburg: The Living Ghost Town 97 photos, 24 members
- San Francisco 230,345 photos, 13,914 members
- Santa Cruz Mountains 2,202 photos, 193 members
- Nevada 20,005 photos, 729 members
- cafe 35,608 photos, 5,479 members
- The Vanishing Night ( A Light Pollution Group) 6,141 photos, 914 members
- Kern County, CA USA 3,289 photos, 135 members
- Examiner Travel Group 2,824 photos, 199 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 428,639 photos, 102,871 members
- Eastern Sierra Fall Color 2,002 photos, 226 members
- Hotels 54,759 photos, 5,135 members
- California Sierra Mountain Shots 2,976 photos, 307 members
- Autumn in California 225 photos, 23 members
- Camping around the world 4,689 photos, 601 members
- Kings Canyon National Park 421 photos, 69 members
- Northern California Photography 136,277 photos, 4,524 members
- Death Valley and SW Nevada Flickr Meet-Up Group 0 photos, 15 members
- The Toilet Tent 195 photos, 24 members
- Zion National Park 9,758 photos, 1,331 members
- Subaru 27,903 photos, 3,336 members
- The Hundred Club of Flickr 312,894 photos, 31,270 members
- On the Road - taken from your car window 16,495 photos, 1,346 members
- The Singles Bar - now open 1,164 photos, 1,042 members
- MexicaliBlog 3,701 photos, 223 members
- Single Tree Photos 3,572 photos, 767 members
- California Bridges 1,623 photos, 112 members
- Cartography 3,584 photos, 710 members
- Visiting Historic California 1,138 photos, 111 members
Apple Crisp says:
"Dana's beautiful photos take us all over the back roads of California and give us just a taste of her extensive explorations. She's got a great eye and a distinctive appreciation of the details that make travel such a rewarding experience. Her photos demonstrate her love of nature and the older, smaller towns that many never see. This is where her heart is and it shows.
If you haven't visited her site, it's time! Total Escape is full of exciting ideas for traveling and exploring California.
Thanks for your wonderful photos, Dana! And we hope to see you on your next trip north!"
13th September, 2009
- Dana Mite
- December 2006
- Pismo Beach CA, USA
- I am:
- Female and Single
- camp diva & web geekett
- Total Escape