"For the thousandth time, it must be said that pictures speak for themselves, wordlessly, visually - or they fail." ~Walker Evans
Freelance documentary & fine art photographer based in San Francisco, CA. Available for assignments or commissions (commercial, editorial, corporate, private); if you contact me with details/questions, I will get back to you promptly. I also sell prints by special order, and sometimes via galleries or shows -- pricing, editioning and other details provided upon inquiry.
I truly love making pictures -- all kinds, all the time. Although I do generally prefer shooting with beautiful, natural (or available) light and prime lenses. I also love butter and old-fashioned snail mail and spontaneous, unexpected gifts. And shiny things. And wordplay! My favorite game--hands down--is Boggle. A long time ago I lived in Paris, where a little piece of my heart still resides...
[A short list of things I don't like: phonies, sycophants, and liars. Excess packaging! HDR.]
I use Flickr like a sketchbook -- for posting personal pictures, for inspiration*, for testing, and for general, informal sharing of images, ideas and observations. Ergo, this is not a tightly edited presentation of my best photos -- or a singular, visually coherent body of work. Much of what you might see here is representative of 'my work.' But some of what you see here is just me having a life.
That said, ALL of my images are © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don't steal or 'borrow' or re-post my photos, or use them for any reason without my permission. Seriously. Don't be schmuck. This is my work and photography is my livelihood.
A limited number of my photos here on Flickr are available for licensing through Getty Images. For everything else --usage inquiries, prints, etc-- I welcome you to contact me directly, either by emailing me through Flickr mail, or via my website by clicking on the link over there to the right for CYNTHIA WOOD | PHOTOGRAPHY.
P.S. I created a couple of self-published books using Blurb that I'm pretty excited about; one in eight was even named as a finalist in the Documentary category in Blurb's 2011 "Photo Book Now" international competition (quite an honor!). And in August 2012 BRIGHTER FASTER was listed as a "staff pick" in Blurb's online bookstore -- thank you, Blurb!: www.blurb.com/user/CynthiaEWood
one in eight. By Cynthia Wood Book Preview
BRIGHTER FASTER By Cynthia Wood Book Preview
*There's really so much good work here on Flickr (for all you naysayers out there).
- iGNANT 31,891 photos, 1,701 members
- Cut Off Places 9,616 photos, 1,735 members
- Realism of illusion 6,758 photos, 453 members
- katwerk 1,545 photos, 107 members
- timorous beasties 1,129 photos, 88 members
- la familia abrazada 2,392 photos, 1,059 members
- glory glory halelujah! 356 photos, 48 members
- 'RoidWeek 2014 0 photos, 143 members
- FP 100c 5,128 photos, 834 members
- Analog only 146,303 photos, 2,892 members
- Polaroid -COLOR- (Instant Peel Apart film only) 22,713 photos, 2,236 members
- They Shoot Film, Don't They? 233,134 photos, 5,556 members
- Polaroid Film 17,480 photos, 935 members
- PetaPixel.com 76,380 photos, 4,001 members
- Holy Ghost Zine 114,229 photos, 4,127 members
- Banalities 25,322 photos, 669 members
- Non-Places (curated) 4,134 photos, 667 members
- Lee Friedlander (inspired by) 7,527 photos, 667 members
- urban poetry 104,441 photos, 3,965 members
- Automotive Artistry 8,577 photos, 1,121 members
- BORED? zine 44,303 photos, 1,846 members
- Life on the blue planet 1,251 photos, 71 members
- Street Composition (Fine Art Street Photography) 86,656 photos, 3,683 members
- Stephen Shore 10,898 photos, 631 members
- The Mundane 19,330 photos, 659 members
- Deadpan 18,811 photos, 529 members
- The democratic photograph 9,397 photos, 378 members
- write it on a postcard 20,664 photos, 622 members
- Mid-Century Modern 19,440 photos, 1,558 members
- Mid-Century Modern Art & Design 14,627 photos, 1,696 members
- Society for Commercial Archeology 14,987 photos, 449 members
- Instant Film 55,431 photos, 2,675 members
- POSI+TIVE MAGAZINE 133,585 photos, 5,740 members
- Contemporary Landscape 130,915 photos, 4,133 members
- New Topographers 26,688 photos, 562 members
- Secret Life of Plants 131,072 photos, 18,848 members
- Lyric Documentary 7,674 photos, 656 members
- the lives of others 6,669 photos, 258 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 6,084 photos, 226 members
- Foam Wonder Selection 62 photos, 15 members
- Indie & Modern Rock 90,401 photos, 4,583 members
- Ilovethatphoto.net Photography Magazine 92,903 photos, 3,005 members
- Deserted Landscapes 4,121 photos, 671 members
- Street Life 280,406 photos, 7,806 members
- the defiant eye 11,303 photos, 193 members
- on the plane 3,871 photos, 344 members
- Polaroids! 6,576 photos, 358 members
- these are not facts 3,634 photos, 498 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 17,840 photos, 4,332 members
- Street Portraitist 56,487 photos, 2,734 members
Mark Madeo says:
"Cynthia Wood has a giant ore of gold for talent, an unfair endowment when compared to most, and a passion that lights the way for those who have fallen into the darkness of repetition. She is an eternal lover of photography and a muse for those seeking to rediscover creative passion. To watch her work, and to see her work is to remember how to photograph."
10th April, 2009
"Cynthia sees the world through eyes made wise by an obvious love of people, nature, science (geometry!), music, and literature. Her photos have a striking observational honesty to them: creative without pretense and stylish without affectation. As it happens, these very traits are mirrored in the photographer herself -- which makes Cynthia not only one of my favorite photographers, but also one of my most cherished friends, and one of the brightest lights in my world."
17th February, 2009
"Cynner has a great eye and a wonderful nature. I come here to appreciate the world we have in common and her vintage clothing! In her I've met my free-sprited match."
24th July, 2007
"sweet like rain and nimble like the wind, cynthia deserves high and frequent praise. Just watch yourself if you find her opposite you at a scrabble table."
15th January, 2007
- Cynthia E. Wood
- September 2006
- San Francisco, CA
- I am:
- CYNTHIA WOOD | PHOTOGRAPHY