All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Available in Print:
La Pura Vida, Issue 1
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
La Pura Vida
Street Reverb Magazine
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
I know it's cheesy, but I love all these free widgets you can plug in:
- Don't Be A Lemming 837 photos, 826 members
- www.street-photographers.com 280 photos, 4,246 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 33,008 photos, 1,207 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 4,823 photos, 16,137 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 301 photos, 232 members
- Digital Psychography 1,403 photos, 89 members
- Third Dimension 119 photos, 161 members
- Small Growers Street Association 242 photos, 599 members
- Photoshop Support Group 200,095 photos, 32,399 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 1,835 photos, 279 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 143 photos, 190 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 950 photos, 610 members
- F13 152 photos, 113 members
- The Sandman Cometh 272 photos, 147 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 430 photos, 1,465 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 823 photos, 814 members
- No Face, No Name 189 photos, 214 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 277 photos, 170 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 5,454 photos, 203 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,623 photos, 246 members
- Figurations de l'absence 236 photos, 182 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,414 photos, 397 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 26,210 photos, 730 members
- Original 1970s 8,260 photos, 1,105 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 14,099 photos, 1,809 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 17,715 photos, 4,274 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 25 photos, 63 members
- Documents.02 1 photo, 88 members
- museum watchers watching 9,178 photos, 2,991 members
- American Elegy 17,318 photos, 450 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 4,318 photos, 3,573 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 336 photos, 351 members
- Instruction #27 232 photos, 374 members
- Persons taking pictures 165 photos, 36 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 1,040 photos, 834 members
- m a d e i n p u b l i c 14 photos, 46 members
- Upgrade to Film 131,158 photos, 1,942 members
- Boy With Grenade 128 photos, 50 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 2,427 photos, 1,179 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,326 photos, 368 members
- Cookies & Cream 1,416 photos, 3,396 members
- Epson V700 19,153 photos, 1,175 members
- This Is The Photograph I Was Meaning To Take 301 photos, 351 members
- As we were - 70's & 80's memories 10,944 photos, 2,116 members
- BlackBerry 4,151 photos, 1,176 members
- BlackBerry Pearl Photos 2,059 photos, 240 members
- Truth Magazine 22 photos, 215 members
- Auto-Anthropology 19,986 photos, 1,667 members
- Dashboard Inspirations 703 photos, 102 members
- Lyric Documentary 7,117 photos, 638 members
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
8th December, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
3rd June, 2010
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
21st October, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
19th October, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
21st September, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
23rd November, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
21st June, 2008
28th December, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
1st September, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
9th December, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
2nd June, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Street Photographers