CharlesFred's photostream Pro User
The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
- Oman 14,965 photos, 807 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 4,837 photos, 462 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 566 photos, 164 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 9,684 photos, 2,612 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,629 photos, 110 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 4,435 photos, 3,125 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 49,616 photos, 5,137 members
- Architecture 1,153,029 photos, 65,446 members
- Saudi core of the world 20,871 photos, 2,463 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 43,724 photos, 5,643 members
- Somalia 438 photos, 64 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 102 photos, 360 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 79 photos, 45 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 3,346 photos, 355 members
- Bulgaria 21,031 photos, 1,639 members
- BBC Eurovision 386 photos, 31 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 907 photos, 573 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 16,717 photos, 1,241 members
- Somali People 1,496 photos, 165 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,772 photos, 840 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 17,690 photos, 1,030 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 379 photos, 170 members
- Just walking 23,612 photos, 1,500 members
- trot and gallop 15,121 photos, 499 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 4,608 photos, 550 members
- Albania 8,707 photos, 594 members
- ArabWorld 983 photos, 203 members
- Being Male 8,903 photos, 944 members
- Natural Syria 819 photos, 100 members
- I was in Turkey 12,351 photos, 1,084 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,335 photos, 658 members
- Tunnel Vision 8,154 photos, 1,830 members
- wheelchairs 10,206 photos, 2,029 members
- Anonymous guys 8,965 photos, 1,851 members
- Bus Stops Here 7,779 photos, 461 members
- Kosova 5,545 photos, 317 members
- Balkans 20,963 photos, 1,574 members
- Newborn Kosova 192 photos, 77 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,218 photos, 2,535 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,475 photos, 330 members
- Men of Turkey 1,152 photos, 1,245 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,057 photos, 134 members
- FlickrAntep 179 photos, 28 members
- National Hunt Racing 1,645 photos, 86 members
- Green is Beautiful 650,344 photos, 53,705 members
- Real Istanbul 4,742 photos, 761 members
- Clash City Snappers 2,486 photos, 526 members
- English lads 889 photos, 741 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 20,121 photos, 918 members
- Male Art From Before 6,598 photos, 708 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
14th June, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
11th November, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
27th August, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
2nd March, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
21st April, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
22nd February, 2007
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
31st August, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: