Photography, for me, is about so many things that I become Whitman's contradiction when I speak of it. It's to tell stories. It's to make pretty, meaningless art. It's about making statements about our world, our society, ourselves. It's about concept and metaphor. It's about narrative and documentation. It's about art and snapshots and silly experiments and fun things you do with your friends. It's about a lot of things and I like to explore all of them.
I'm a writer (Create Your Own Photo Blog - April 2006 and Digital Portrait Photography and Lighting- September 2006) and a photographer living in Canada.
Utata was the name of my site as well as a group which is like a civilized party. With occassional ... hilarity. And very good discussions. There are some very interesting people in the parlour right now I bet. We have our own site and do (amongst other cool things) projects, one of which was a Yahoo! Daily Pick recently. You are cordially invited to join the fun.
I have several accounts, which I use for several purposes. I am one of those busy bee sort of people, doing all sorts of projects and sticking my fingers in all sorts of pies, so if you see me in other outfits don't be alarmed. I'm not stalking YOU in particular :)
I'm also the Publisher of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
- Free Art Friday 3,832 photos, 1,571 members
- The Common Threads Project 342 photos, 121 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,440 photos, 17,966 members
- flickrColors (blue/pink) 2,198 photos, 709 members
- Where Did I Take This? 25 photos, 52 members
- Mumble Something Workshop 52 photos, 72 members
- Utata Theatre 0 photos, 2 members
- Utata Book Review 8 photos, 24 members
- Antipodetata 171 photos, 11 members
- I've got a tortiseshell too! 1,432 photos, 140 members
- The Blink of an Eye 2,052 photos, 3,048 members
- Fleur Noir 1,223 photos, 234 members
- Portraits OF (not by) Flickr Folk - subject MUST have flickr ac 1,283 photos, 223 members
- roquentin.net 2,220 photos, 275 members
- Utata Portfolios 0 photos, 5 members
- Feathery Friday! ***Contests Suspended*** 35,746 photos, 2,044 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 38,879 photos, 6,725 members
- Gemini Zodiac Sign 947 photos, 85 members
- Cars Powered by V12 Engines 4,520 photos, 167 members
- CYOPB 0 photos, 5 members
- Beyond the Limits of Lens 3,037 photos, 193 members
- Luminaria 824 photos, 82 members
- Writers 4,408 photos, 796 members
- Writers General 1,645 photos, 329 members
- Before or After (not now) 482 photos, 122 members
- Pictures With Stories - 5 sentence MINIMUM 11,645 photos, 1,959 members
- Lynched 35,951 photos, 2,250 members
- lilliput 20 photos, 14 members
- Innovative Canadiana 1,399 photos, 141 members
- FlickrFotoForum 31,384 photos, 1,808 members
- Cream of the Crop - Please read the rules 11,097 photos, 11,844 members
- Photographic Impressionism 49,499 photos, 3,054 members
- Half A Face Is Better Than A Whole One 9,312 photos, 1,288 members
- !masterclass! - (archived) 0 photos, 1,370 members
- Checkerboard 329 photos, 142 members
- Clotheslines 344 photos, 141 members
- Experiments [try the random link] 50,212 photos, 3,363 members
- Bloggers 42,711 photos, 6,869 members
- Asleep in the Garden of the Alchemist 34,897 photos, 1,598 members
- Photobloggers 35,178 photos, 959 members
- FlickrSocial (two or more people in the photo) 45,541 photos, 3,309 members
- Felliniesque 4,723 photos, 237 members
- Photoblogs 5 photos, 4 members
- Photoblogging 31 photos, 5 members
- Exakta 5,302 photos, 706 members
- martinis 1,213 photos, 368 members
- Mystical 3,549 photos, 676 members
- Portraiture 604,789 photos, 24,809 members
- Black and White 4,979,725 photos, 245,541 members
- The Curator 78 photos, 100 members
O Caritas says:
"When I first came to write this testimonial, I wondered what really could be said about Catherine that hasn't been said, written, alluded to or thought about since she first began delighting us with her photographs.
All I could come up with at the time was "The best!" I mean, really... how much more need be said?
But as I was looking over other testimonials I'd written, I naturally scrolled down to this one, so I decided to try to add a few more cogent thoughts.
In the two years or so that I've "known" Catherine, I don't know that I've witnessed a greater force within the flickr community. Oh, sure, there are numerous great photographers who seem to light this place on fire, but while Catherine's pictures also are worthy of so much attention, it is her tireless efforts to not only build and maintain a community of photographers (Utata.org), but to vigourously promote the notion that we all have a fire of creativity within us that deserves to be explored, developed and stretched.
The impact this woman has had on the members of Utata is, of course, immeasurable, but thanks to Utata (and flickr), it is there for all the world to see."
15th January, 2007
"This is the epitomal Catherine; I tell her she has to add me as a contact so I may shout my love for her all across the flickrverse... no sooner do I send the message, I am her contact and I have an email exploding with surprise that I wasn't all ready.
Catherine is a bursting, beaming, ball of creativity who is always creating. She is infectuous, I am sure she doesn't sleep because she's always creating something. Catherine's creations, big or small, are each unique and intriguing.
But above all else, beyond all her amazing characteristics, perhaps her belief in people is the most endearing aspect about her gleaming personality. Catherine sees potential in each and every person she comes into contact with. What's more is that she helps people realize the potential they have within."
26th January, 2006
Velvet G says:
"I've always been impressed by the fact that Catherine's work is so efficient. There is no wasted space, no wasted motion, everything is where it's supposed to be. She's definitely been an inspiration and the one thing, above all else, that has impressed me as I follow her stream is her consistency.
The quality of her work just doesn't waver. It's always top notch and if there is anything for us aspiring photographers to shoot for, it's that. Excellent work and I can't wait to see what she does next."
28th December, 2005
"Catherine teaches in the deepest sense. She does this not by instruction on the art, craft or meaning of image making. But by consideration of her work and her words, we learn about seeing with a lens. CJ shows us how to be bold with light and metaphor. In this, for me, she models and shares the joy of photography."
26th November, 2005
"The first thing which caught my eye about Catherine was her first name because my younger sister has the same and I don't hear or see someone with this name too often. So I went to check what kind of images a person with this name might take and I was caught by her images right away. She is a true artist and knows how to take quality images. She has a unique eye on the world and it's beauty. I also like that she knows what her strengths are and how to throw them in and how to delegate what others might be more able to do as well as her efforts here at flickr and at other places of the internet. And of course I like that she likes cats as much as I do. :)"
4th July, 2005
"Who ever said woman are weak has obviously never met Catherine. She is one of the most amazing woman out there."
10th June, 2005
"I can't remember how I first came to know about Catherine, but I'm glad I did. Her work; well her work speaks for itself and my words would only do it an injustice.
Catherine, however, has somehow managed to infect me with an artistic energy that I didn't have before. Her encouragements have been inspiring, her commentary thought provoking. Her influence is productive.
I look forward to a continued creative relationship with Catherine, as I'm sure many, many other people do. I can only hope to be as positive an influence for her - or for somebody else - as she has been for me.
9th May, 2005
Malachi Petunia says:
"It is unfortunate that you cannot make a favorite of an artist's entire photostream as I would do with Catherine's work. Professional, innovative, experimental, and always willing to share her knowledge and experience, Ms. Jamieson is a flickr treasure no matter how humbly she denies it."
21st April, 2005
"What can I say.....
Catherine is by far the most creative person I have encountered in a long time. She is a constant source of inspiration. Thank you for just being here......!"
21st April, 2005
"I have a deep reverence for all things catherine. her eye is so expressive, I cannot express it.
even before I knew she had a camera, and knew how to use it, I was a serious admirer.
I once told her privately that she is my hero; it should be evident by now to all."
15th April, 2005
"Lots and lots of photos in this photostream - taking many photos is no problem at all, taking lots of great photos isn't easy at all. Catherine's pictures always have an amazing quality in them which can't be found elsewhere. Inspiring photography at its best."
15th April, 2005
"Great work here!
Update 04/11/2005: this Woman continues to deliver fabulous, beautiful, and heartfelt images. Her daily dose will brighten your day!"
11th April, 2005
good morning stradivari says:
"It's almost embarrassing to even try to put Catherine's work into words. I mean, what do you say about her mastery behind the lens? She's a never ending source of images that reach great emotional depths ranging from deep strong messages to fun, colourful light moods. I want to fave almost everything she posts here. I'm sure that we'll all be seeing her work in galleries one day!"
3rd April, 2005
"creative, warm, loving, ass-kicking, sensual, kind, passionate, talented and one of the most giving people within flickr. my life is richer by knowing this amazing woman."
31st March, 2005
Emporer Rhubarb says:
"I wish I could be as creative as Catherine, she has more worth here than 100 run of the mill accounts put together. The best-I simply love her stream."
14th March, 2005
Irina Souiki says:
"Catherine opened my eyes. She was one of the first 3 photobloggers I had discovered prior to starting my own photoblog, over a year ago. She has an amazing eye for detail and her macro shots always made me dream in colour. Her pictures show who Catherine is because they let personal feelings to breathe through. They are, at least for me, fingerprints in time, in the life of one of the most extraordinary women I have yet to meet."
21st February, 2005
- Catherine Jamieson
- November 2004
- Nova Scotia, Canada
- Writer & Photographer