Originally I’m a painter, abstract work, so called “mixed media” paintings.
I was born and raised in the Netherlands and moved to Toronto in 2012. My background is painting, abstracts, and mixed media. At the art academy where I studied, I was also able to take photography classes. My world is purely visual. Wherever I am, I look around me and see possible pictures. I let myself lead by mood, colours. light, shapes. I work either "pure" so hardly reworked or I work in layers, like I build up my mixed media paintings.
I started with iPhoneography 2 years ago. My iPhone work really got noticed in 2011. My work has been featured on some sites and blogs, and I have been featured in interviews as well. The big break came when I was invited to participate in Eyephoneography #2 in Madrid May 2011. Ten of my pieces where shown in Madrid with 3 other iPhoneographers (Jordi V. Pou, Matt Burrows and Stefano Giogli). The event got a lot of press coverage in El Mundo, El Pais, Playboy, and on television. That was was followed by the Atlanta Celebrates Photography Festival, an exhibit with Eric De Fino, Richard Koci Hernandez, Dan Cristea, Sion Fullana, Anton Kawasaki, Keith Weaver and Giacomo Por. For the festival, our work was printed on aluminum.
Concurrent to that festival, Mobile eyephoneography was launched. This involves the work of Eyephoneography #1, #2 and #3 travelling around Spain with stops in eight major cities (Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Sevilla to name a few).
In January 2012 I was the winner of the IPA Mobile Grant Award 2011
In February 2012, I was featured in Latitudes, an international Photography Festival held annually in Huelva, Spain. This is a major breakthrough where photography and iphoneography were shown on a museum level. Latitudes hosts works by renowned photographers, including Magnum greats such as Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa and Doisneau.
In April 2012 the "iPhone Fotografie" , a 176, hard cover book was published by the German National Geographic in which I am featured with 30 pages, next to Richard Koci Hernandez, Carsten Peter, Damon Winter and Michael Christopher Brown.
In January 2013 this book appeared as e-book in english and german
In August 2012: 4 of my pieces (30 x 30 inches) were shown in the LA MAF Exhibition, organized by IphoneArt.com.
December 2012: mObilepixatiOn, an piXel revOlution exhibition in London, UK, organised and curated by Marina Akwa (iPhonehipsta)
January 2013: part of MacWorld Mobile Masters (e-book and iPad Wall by Dan Marcolina) during the MacWorld Event in San Francisco.
June 2013: 7 page portfolio in FOCUS, the leading dutch photography magazine.
August 2013: One of the 45 artists explaining one of their works in a step by step tutorial in a full colour book called: “THE ART OF IPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY” BY Bob Weil and Nicki Fitz-Gerald
November 2013: joined RooM Pocketstock, stock photography for fotos shot with a mobile device
© All rights reserved. Use without permission is illegal.
Do not post my work without prior consent on your site, blog, pinterest, tumblr or whatever other site/blog.
Photos of ©arlein (9)
- Streets Ahead: A Women's Mobile Street Photography Collective 3,076 photos, 209 members
- The Sketchbook Challenge 10,453 photos, 1,853 members
- Neweramuseum 6,374 photos, 105 members
- iPhone - Slow Shutter Cam 993 photos, 337 members
- B&W with iPhone 20,197 photos, 668 members
- Forward Thinking Museum 510 photos, 40 members
- lys foto magazine 7,759 photos, 295 members
- Mobile Photography and Imagery 65,546 photos, 1,283 members
- eyephoneography 17,759 photos, 399 members
- Black and White Mobile Phone Photography 10,203 photos, 567 members
- ScratchCam 4,715 photos, 304 members
- All Seeing iphone 10,575 photos, 145 members
- Pure iPhotography 6,286 photos, 260 members
- Through the Lens of an iPhone 37,346 photos, 7,567 members
- The League of Extraordinary Photomanipulation 8,044 photos, 440 members
- Amazing iPhoneography 290,101 photos, 15,818 members
- iphoneographyCentral 55,346 photos, 1,360 members
- Appotography 32,992 photos, 548 members
- iphone schwarz/weiß - iphone black/white 7,989 photos, 202 members
- iPhone Photo Art 3,080 photos, 121 members
- Combo Apps: Mobile Extreme Editing 25,044 photos, 954 members
- Iphone Photography Society 38,483 photos, 620 members
- The Street Photograph (Black and White Street Photography) 64,678 photos, 1,919 members
- iPhoneography 340,486 photos, 11,844 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 215,706 photos, 5,236 members
- under the signet of the moon 8,745 photos, 204 members
- B+W MUSE [iPhone] 29,385 photos, 875 members
- Noir Cafe ~ (by invite) 29,704 photos, 1,092 members
- alternative photography process 20,105 photos, 1,767 members
A Dharma Bum says:
"Carlein catches light, she is a light catcher….
and her light catches the heart of the viewer.
Such talent, beauty, eye, imagination are so very rare.
A wondrous collection of self portraits, landscapes, bodyscapes
expressed in movement, stillness, savageness, softness, color
and divine monochrome.
This stream contains very serious masterpieces,
spiced with Carlein’s great sense of humor.
An inspiration. A muse."
2nd January, 2010
Elena Gal says:
"a blurred dangerous yet so engaging vision.."
26th November, 2009
"Totaly creative.....amazing work....smart...funny....a wonderful friend......and drop dead beautiful....this lovely lady has it all....
thanks for sharing your art with us...i love what you do and how you do it...
the french version...lol"
14th October, 2009
"My favourite person on Flickr.
Creative, smart, witty, stunning, amazing, beautiful."
27th September, 2009
Gary Auerbach says:
"Carlein creates on a regular basis, using digital or analogue, series of works that capture the context of who she is and what she wants to say. With the use of high contrast, blur, full tone, screens or textures, her portfolio stands on its own as original and imaginative. I look forward to every post she makes !!"
27th September, 2009
Emre Ucar says:
"Brilliant. I love her imagination. I love how she alters the reality through her own visual thinking."
7th September, 2009
Michelle Brea says:
©arlein is a painter, you can see that through her perfectly composed images, her work is fascinating, dark, poetic, rhythmical, plus she is a wonderful person!!!"
2nd September, 2009
Eni Turkeshi Imagery says:
"her photos are smart, ironical,wild ,passionate and with a very special sense of bluntness which i adore."
23rd July, 2009
the mono goddess
sings a meaning
lack for those
22nd July, 2009
"Carlein is such a brave and talentous woman, artist and photographer. Her soul is all here with beauty and poetry, with sensuality and sensability. Carlein know the right words and ritgth notes for her work, for the music the choose, for the comments she write. all here is intense. all here is kind and beautiful! congrats!"
5th July, 2009
Ervin Bartis says:
"I have discovered carlein's stream only recently. Since my discovery I am a returning visitor to her world. A world where light, movement, gravity seem to follow different laws; a world where feminity blurs the sharp edges and turns the photos into something organic. A beautiful world."
23rd May, 2009
- January 2009
- I am:
- Female and Taken