"Most of us feel that others will not tolerate emotional honesty. We would rather defend our dishonesty on the grounds that it might hurt others; and having rationalized our phoniness into nobility, we settle for superficial relationships."
"It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?"
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
Without deviations from the norm, progress is not possible.
HDR free since 1957
HDR Photography; our generations velvet painting; as gaudy as a velvet Elvis, as garish as a freakishly wide-eyed bare-breasted velvet Native Girl painting.
__________ ____________ _____________
"The church is near, but the road is icy; the bar is far, but we will walk carefully."
__________ ____________ _____________
Bruce Dean: producing Salon des Refusés style art for over 50 years
...a single disabled father
...a semi-retired writer/photographer/artist
...a hedonistic bohemian
...a professional recreationalist
-University of Victoria
-Victoria College of Art (VCAD)
-Western Academy of Photography & Photojournalism
-Vancouver City College
-Santa Barbara City College
-University of Alberta
Bruce Dean (professional recreationalist)
From a gonzo path less traveled, Bruce Dean draws from his bizarre experiences and his social conscience of convenience when creating his photographs, paintings, and writings.
A photojournalist and raconteur armed with tales from his travels; from backhands to bars; from beaches to vineyards; from university to social work – caring for societies discarded children while conquering the seas, trees, and slopes of North America; battling poverty and disability while desperately clinging to parenting. Through it all, Bruce Dean has been producing his award winning humor, photography and writing.
Bruce Dean has studied at Victoria College of Art, Vancouver and Santa Barbara City Colleges, and the University of Alberta. Dean is currently working toward degrees in visual art and writing at the University of Victoria – expanding upon his diploma in Photojournalism from Western Academy of Photography.
Bruce Dean’s writings, photographs, and paintings primarily focus upon the street and social issues; his internationally recognized art often utilizing dolls and action figures as a medium of expression. When Dean paints he works with acrylics, oils, found items, and collage of his own photography. Imitating the encaustic style, Dean has been experimenting with deep gel work to add the element of perceived depth and forced bokeh.
Bruce Dean’s work has graced a variety of publications and galleries, including;
Boulevard magazine, the Edmonton Journal, Aviator magazine, Sailing World magazine, SEE magazine, Fusion magazine, the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria, the Metchosin Art Gallery, the Sculpture Studio, CHED Radio, CJSR FM Radio, Oak Bay News, Victoria News, Duncan News Leader, Vue Weekly, Pacific Coastal In-Flight magazine, Metchosin Muse, the Tyee, the Georgia Straight, Outside on-line, BIKE magazine, Wetrag, Monday magazine, Megaphone Magazine, the Martlet, Cannabinoid Chronicles...
Bruce Dean’s art has been refused, restricted, or removed from;
The Victoria Independent Film Festival; the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria (CACGV); Flickr (YAHOO); YouTube; the Victoria Times Colonist; and from his own camera by the Victoria Police (VicPD)...
"Although Cst. Hynes had the power to seize Dean's entire camera, it appears that he inconvenienced Dean less by simply deleting the images in question and then returning the camera to him."
(The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner)
"Sgt. Sawyer located numerous concerning photographs in [Dean’s] collection..."
(The Victoria Chief of Police)
Dean, “you will have a place in hell! the lord punishes the wicked and u, u worthless
maggot will be judged! hope u enjoy UR SKIN BURNING FROM UR BONES”
(Jeff Tally, a fan)
“You have to admire local activist Bruce Dean...”
(Jody Paterson – Special to Times Colonist)
I enjoy hearing the opinions from the viewers of my images, but:
My Flickr Photo Site is not a forum for your negative opinion of me. If you greatly disagree with my opinion - politely speak your mind, or you should post your opinion in your Flickr Photo Site - not here.
If you have nothing nice to say - don't bother with the rude.
If you have something nice to say - I love you.
"Don't go away mad - just go away." (...Lisa...)
I depend upon the strangers of kindness...
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say commonplace things, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
Check out my videos:
The nail that sticks out must be pounded down.
- Against Censorship at Flickr CREATIVE ONLY 444 photos, 422 members
- No Flickr censorship! 1,067 photos, 633 members
- Bickr and Bitch 8 photos, 575 members
- All about Groups. 0 photos, 117 members
- steampunk 20,011 photos, 3,175 members
- Steampunk Art 1,779 photos, 496 members
- VCAD 671 photos, 2 members
- Toys + Cannabis 197 photos, 33 members
- + Toys ( 玩具,おもちゃ ) 363,469 photos, 22,177 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,526,224 photos, 78,302 members
- Truckee, CA 498 photos, 71 members
- Victoria Day Parade 2012 213 photos, 9 members
- All the awesomeness of TBG - Biscuits and.. Discuss.. 32,659 photos, 287 members
- BICYCLE & CREATIVITY 17,045 photos, 1,446 members
- Manfrotto Official 20,617 photos, 2,084 members
- Occupy 20,689 photos, 1,237 members
- Occupy Together movement 2,695 photos, 405 members
- #OccupyWallStreet 15,839 photos, 675 members
- #OccupyWallStreet Everywhere 3,632 photos, 158 members
- Occupy Wall Street 3,054 photos, 352 members
- Occupy Wall Street Photo Project 5,624 photos, 488 members
- Occupy Everywhere 7,864 photos, 693 members
- OCCUPY EARTH 1,177 photos, 126 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 129,265 photos, 5,082 members
- PHOTOGRAPHERS OF CANADA 295,496 photos, 4,710 members
- Education Orthopedic Brace 805 photos, 220 members
- Cycling in Brighton 181 photos, 41 members
- ► Doll's House 80,002 photos, 3,181 members
- The Secret Life of Toys 318,995 photos, 20,422 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 585,945 photos, 25,862 members
- Walking the Dog 385 photos, 65 members
- Fender Guitars 8,014 photos, 2,277 members
- Streetlife 129,100 photos, 2,850 members
- Out and About in Victoria BC 2,441 photos, 155 members
- Photographers of Victoria, BC 1,314 photos, 45 members
- ~Best of British Columbia~ 1,941 photos, 739 members
- British Columbia Provincial Parks 5,309 photos, 387 members
- Ultimate Justin Bieber Fans 1,866 photos, 1,195 members
- Lets Hear It For The Boys 9,309 photos, 318 members
- Sector 9 476 photos, 131 members
- YEAH Magazine Contributor Search 64,379 photos, 3,349 members
- Spin Magazine 945 photos, 255 members
- BC Living Photo Pool 6,945 photos, 192 members
- Victoria Pride 250 photos, 23 members
- The Georgia Straight 28,296 photos, 716 members
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police - RCMP / GRC 884 photos, 268 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 292,741 photos, 31,329 members
- ///CALL FOR VANDALIST/// 3,024 photos, 808 members
- Toy Story Collection 1,751 photos, 312 members
- Longboarding on 4 wheels 5,688 photos, 1,007 members
Cassandra's Eye says:
"Bruce is a photographer who shoots from the heart."
27th March, 2008
Stefano Tedioli says:
"Bruce is a free spirit who makes free photos.
Is there anything else we can ask him?
I don't think."
1st September, 2007
"BruceDean creates some of thee most fascinating and controversial photos using dolls that I have ever seen. A true inspiration for me."
28th August, 2007
- Bruce Dean
- August 2005
- Victoria, BC
- Victoria, BC, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Single