I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,029 photos, 118 members
- sexy yoginis 39 photos, 101 members
- NYCphotowalkers 304 photos, 46 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 143 photos, 66 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 1,093 photos, 95 members
- Cano Cafenol 340 photos, 34 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 214,947 photos, 5,232 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 4 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 1,658 photos, 175 members
- StreetPhoto 657,167 photos, 18,009 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,294 photos, 59 members
- The NYC Subway 43,785 photos, 9,672 members
- Public Space and its Discontents 147,809 photos, 11,663 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,177 photos, 322 members
- New York City Street Photography 63,248 photos, 3,677 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 2,013 photos, 201 members
- Street Photography 88,953 photos, 29,764 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 29 members
- iPhone Street Photography 18,452 photos, 1,029 members
- Seven by Five 41,601 photos, 2,270 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 29,686 photos, 1,176 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 323 photos, 20 members
- Urban Decay NYC 703 photos, 154 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 4 photos, 13 members
- Snow in the City 2,376 photos, 211 members
- SUB-NY 284 photos, 37 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 70,212 photos, 1,631 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 7,215 photos, 574 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 5,410 photos, 292 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 19,867 photos, 896 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 5,450 photos, 163 members
- iPhoneography 339,736 photos, 11,831 members
- Hipstamatic 291,142 photos, 16,641 members
- Candid Street 88,151 photos, 2,668 members
- Candid & Street Photography 877,577 photos, 23,749 members
- Candid And Street 8,794 photos, 337 members
- OuterB 345 photos, 34 members
- Queens 18,599 photos, 1,060 members
- MAKE 59,532 photos, 7,883 members
- Lady Circus 348 photos, 65 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 865 photos, 41 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,444 photos, 310 members
- Urban Omnibus 78 photos, 59 members
- This is Now 16,769 photos, 6,436 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 673,998 photos, 32,019 members
- URBAN New York 88,888 photos, 5,816 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,759 photos, 181 members
- [CameraBag] 30,493 photos, 2,388 members
- STREET STORIES 175,936 photos, 5,004 members
- WE WANT THE OLD LAYOUT OF OUR PHOTO PAGE 4,241 photos, 1,523 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken