I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- #nycflickrmeetup 981 photos, 118 members
- sexy yoginis 59 photos, 100 members
- NYCphotowalkers 285 photos, 48 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 133 photos, 65 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 1,087 photos, 88 members
- Cano Cafenol 331 photos, 32 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 181,207 photos, 4,800 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 3 photos, 4 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 1,492 photos, 172 members
- StreetPhoto 584,671 photos, 16,965 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,102 photos, 54 members
- The NYC Subway 41,089 photos, 7,346 members
- Public Space and its Discontents 140,204 photos, 11,621 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,100 photos, 310 members
- New York City Street Photography 47,046 photos, 3,001 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 1,609 photos, 185 members
- Street Photography 121,734 photos, 27,495 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 30 members
- iPhone Street Photography 14,568 photos, 900 members
- Seven by Five 36,949 photos, 2,294 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 27,020 photos, 1,134 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 323 photos, 20 members
- Urban Decay NYC 693 photos, 155 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 4 photos, 13 members
- Snow in the City 2,401 photos, 209 members
- SUB-NY 149 photos, 34 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 62,381 photos, 1,568 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 6,453 photos, 515 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 5,340 photos, 283 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 18,359 photos, 891 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 4,830 photos, 139 members
- iPhoneography 309,866 photos, 11,370 members
- Hipstamatic 272,248 photos, 16,393 members
- Candid Street 75,199 photos, 2,438 members
- Candid & Street Photography 749,688 photos, 22,287 members
- Candid And Street 7,638 photos, 316 members
- OuterB 345 photos, 34 members
- Queens 18,396 photos, 1,036 members
- MAKE 58,096 photos, 7,825 members
- Lady Circus 345 photos, 65 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 865 photos, 42 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,403 photos, 304 members
- Urban Omnibus 79 photos, 59 members
- This is Now 15,593 photos, 6,292 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 635,318 photos, 31,493 members
- URBAN New York 80,321 photos, 5,526 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,710 photos, 175 members
- [CameraBag] 29,907 photos, 2,405 members
- STREET STORIES 145,295 photos, 4,443 members
- WE WANT THE OLD LAYOUT OF OUR PHOTO PAGE 3,858 photos, 1,529 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken