Views expressed on Flickr and elsewhere under my online alias The Blackbird are my own. I do not speak or write for any organization. Unless otherwise noted, all photos copyright Jay Black, AKA The Blackbird. All rights reserved.
- Violent Tea Party Terrorist Extremists 243 photos, 25 members
- Propaganda 5,393 photos, 1,003 members
- asymmetric warfare 2 photos, 3 members
- la ragazza con la pistola 950 photos, 166 members
- Strange Vintage Fictions 1,862 photos, 482 members
- Wetlands of British Columbia 407 photos, 84 members
- Rainy Days 3,029 photos, 720 members
- The British Empire 1,844 photos, 140 members
- Occult Symbols 697 photos, 194 members
- Royalty 6,825 photos, 612 members
- Conspiracy Theory 24 photos, 8 members
- Conspiracy 156 photos, 64 members
- The Lucifer Project 275 photos, 136 members
- NWO 14 photos, 5 members
- Illuminati 432 photos, 186 members
- Google Maps 274 photos, 80 members
- Guns 4,692 photos, 715 members
- Police Arrest 95 photos, 148 members
- Busted! 233 photos, 267 members
- Lipstick Club 352 photos, 192 members
- Save Bradley 178 photos, 15 members
- TYRANNY RESPONCE ACTION TEAM 909 photos, 292 members
- Hockey Hall of Fame 151 photos, 46 members
- Stanley Cup 420 photos, 101 members
- Dark and Mysterious Photos 12,891 photos, 1,638 members
- Beautiful Face 3,558 photos, 195 members
- Conspicuously Incognito 198 photos, 57 members
- ...Against A Brick Wall 2,661 photos, 277 members
- Talking To A Brick Wall 611 photos, 202 members
- Meaning In The Mist 933 photos, 127 members
- Swedish girls - Svenska flickor! 970 photos, 593 members
- Style Groove 6,027 photos, 269 members
- lululemon lovers! 224 photos, 127 members
- Hacks/Hackers 149 photos, 23 members
- Design Nerds 39,758 photos, 3,736 members
- Intelligence Explosion 3,755 photos, 224 members
- Information Security 66 photos, 23 members
- The Colbert Report 241 photos, 112 members
- Colbert Nation Art 12 photos, 6 members
- Who do you respect? 12 photos, 15 members
- S♥per ♥ Hearts - 10 Pink - Post 1 & Give 3 Super Hearts 68,542 photos, 10,330 members
- Memes in Real Life 67 photos, 37 members
- Guardian Camera Club 27,001 photos, 12,649 members
- + Prayers ( 祈祷,祈り) 2,926 photos, 565 members
- Pirate Party of Canada 3 photos, 3 members
- Psychology 493 photos, 86 members
- Anonymous Worldwide Raids and Shenanigans 10,321 photos, 348 members
- /geeks 46,563 photos, 4,540 members
- Youtube.com 1,002 photos, 422 members
- Ars Technica 3,822 photos, 200 members
susan m2010 says:
"Jay is such an inspiration to me. I find his work amazing and so different. The first time I viewed his photostream, I knew that I wanted to see more. He's truly very talented and I am very honored to have him as a friend."
13th October, 2010
"I shot for the Times-Colonist in Victoria for nearly forty years, I know a lot of the shooters from the Sun, the Province, Reuters, CP etc., we all do our job but the dailies are bullshit, mostly fluff and they will never again be what their original intention was. The "new" media or internet media or social media, call it what you will, is opening up the world, by the public for the public, allowing us all to see and read the real news going on around us. The real photojournalism now comes from individuals like Jay who have the balls to put it all on the line so the world can see what is really happening, too much politics in the mainstream media."
4th June, 2010
Stephen Hui says:
"Jay is easily one of my favourite photographers. From nature and documentary photography to social-justice photojournalism, he always captures amazing moments in colour or black and white. Keep an eye out for his photos."
2nd April, 2010
Sally Buck says:
"Blackbird's photos are filled with beautiful paradoxes. Stark hilarity, sumptuous destitution, loving force. Others are suffused more singly with an attitude of curiosity, or inspiration, exasperation, humility, sadness, or enchantment. His palate is broad, his vision agile, his patience and curiosity seemingly limitless. Though I know better than to take any of this for granted. His talent shows a keen intelligence, one that I, citizens of Vancouver, and far beyond have followed for several years. Here we look for the stories and metaphors of our times, for images of our heroes, the fallen, and the persistent, and for self-examination, for ethics, and for beauty."
14th March, 2010
"Jay is very creative, gifted and has a vision that is truly inspiring. He brings out the world around him in sincere way and really let us have an insight in the life in Vancouver. His soul comes through in his work and i am so happy that i stumble across his stream. Amazing photographer and a person.
I find it an honor to be his contact and friend.
7th January, 2010
"A man with a very important message to tell which he does amazingly though both images and words. A true talent and a wonderful friend."
17th October, 2009
Syl V. says:
"I love seeing the world through Jay's eyes.
His photos evoke a multitude of emotions and that's what makes his stream so special.
Behind every image there is truth and all of them are small wake-up calls. I wish all of us would open our eyes to life the way Jay does."
21st July, 2009
une gamine says:
"Jay is such a gifted photographer. His photo stream feels like an intimate look into the life of a passionate, sensitive artist who uses his camera to bring attention to the causes (and the city) that he cares so deeply about. Always inspiring."
10th May, 2009
"Jay has a unique way of capturing the beautiful intricacies of nature sans PSing the crap out of them. He has an eye for what is beautiful in life, and expresses that very well through his photography. His self portraits, on the other hand, are raw, edgy, and exude wicked sensuality. There’s a lot more to this Flickr’r than an icon and a stream of images. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to call him a friend."
23rd February, 2009
jerm IX says:
"vancouver needs more blackbirds."
1st January, 2009
Apple Crisp says:
"Jay's photography is mesmerizing. I am inspired and moved by both his color and black and white documentation of his beautiful city, Vancouver, BC, and the people who live and work there. He follows the social and political evolution of this city and its people with great sensitivity, honesty, and passion. He captures the conflicts, fears, struggles, determination, hopes, and joys of the people as written in their faces in the context of beautiful urban compositions.
Jay's photography is an example of a high order of humanistic photojournalism. His more personal shots are also highly poetic and evocative. He has a refined command of black and white photography and is adept at utilizing his camera skills and poet's eyes to portray the truth, drama, and eloquence of his subjects."
29th November, 2008
"The blackbird is always watching and waiting, even though
he knows enough of the world to predict what will come
If there was a fall out of the entire world, the blackbird
would simply fly away from the wreckage."
15th November, 2008
"Jay is a great photographer and a sweetest person. His photography is very story-telling, intelligent and dedicated to the real facts. Thank you, for being such a warm, supportive friend."
30th October, 2008
Green Olive Mama ☆ says:
"Passionate, dedicated, humble, and sweet are words that come to mind when I think of Jay. I love the way he uses his vision and talent to bring light to social and civil issues. He is a warm hearted revolutionist as well as a great aritist and poet...I am proud to call him my friend."
25th October, 2008
"I have had the pleasure of knowing Jay through flickr for almost 2 years now. In that time he has opened my eyes to the beauty of Vancouver and the serious issues that affect its citizens on a daily basis. He has shown so much heart and compassion in bringing attention to his city and he has done it in the most artistic and inviting way. Jay's stream continues to be a wonderful combination of photographic beauty and social importance. I always look forward to viewing his stream to either experience a wonderful Vancouver scene or to learn a little more about a city from someone who clearly loves and cares about it."
27th October, 2008
"Jay is in a word, "passionate".... his work portrays his vision and his heart for what is important to him and the people he cares about. I am honored to have developed a friendship with this photographer who in my opinion is a lovely person as well as a creative one....
and he plays one mean piano too!!!
Learn more about his desire to find a way to make everyone on the streets of Vancouver safe and respected....
well done Jay!"
22nd October, 2008
Elsa Prinsessa says:
"Jay is a man on a mission.
Gentle in his words and images.
I am honoured to call myself your friend, my friend!
Yours in Ice,
27th April, 2008
"I don't know him much, but I wish I did. What I already know makes me want to do just that.
What attracted me to him at first where his lips! :-) Sorry, but, it was the only part of his face, shown on that particular and nice self portrait ;-)
Looking more closely at his stream, I discovered a great artist, a man of convictions, an activist, a generous man who stands tall to denounce and defend.
The Blackbird is not only a great photograph, he is also a wonderful poet who's words can lift you and transport you far far away and leave you, for sure, wanting more.
7th October, 2007
- Jay Black
- May 2007