Barrybar's photostream Pro User
Create your own visitor map!
I am not so much a photographer as a photo-journalist. And, since I left journalism ages ago, maybe I'm not so much a photo-journalist as a cataloguer. [I don't know if that is a word, but I like the French tone.] By cataloguer, I mean that when I visit a place I feel that I am reporting on the sense of that place to whoever may visit my pictures. If you have never been there, then, hopefully, you will get a sense of what the place looks like; the ambience; the rhythm; the feel. And, if you have been there, maybe I can bring back some memories. Maybe you will say: "Ah, yes. I remember it well."
I make tons of photos because I don't discriminate. A bug is worthy of being photographed. I love photographing beauty, including beautiful women, but show me a craggy, old man, or woman, and I am more than ready to snap away as well.
I am not a very good photographer. I have yet to read the manual for either of my two Olympus cameras; I still leave them on automatic because they have a bunch of bells and whistles; and, most of all, I don't understand light at the technical level; don't know a damn thing about white balance; don't know how to make the flash go off when the camera tells me there is enough light; don't know how to expose for 10 seconds if I damn well please. But I am having a ball. I left home without my camera a few days ago [today is 30 March 2006] and I felt pretty well naked! Imagine, if Armageddon started and my camera was forgotten back at home.
Despite all my shortcomings, I challenge any great photographer to have more fun than I am having.
Always reading, usually surfing (the internet, that is), regularly at the movies, often at the opera and ballet, travelling, visiting museums and taking photos by the ton.
Terrorists R Us
A War-Crimes Avoidance Strategy
Have Box Cutter, Will Travel
My photo accompanies this article: May Day in Asheville, North Carolina
create your personalized map of europe
create your own visited country map
or check our Venice travel guide
create your personalized map of europe
- Indy Pirates 8,039 photos, 442 members
- flickr (unofficial) 901,213 photos, 68,304 members
- Banderas de Chile 548 photos, 187 members
- World Photography - Public Photos - Traveling - Life 165,241 photos, 3,968 members
- **(Crazy kinda People)** 53 photos, 112 members
- CRAZY MAD INSANE PEOPLE 874 photos, 315 members
- Crazy Flickr 557 photos, 52 members
- *-*WHOLLATTA*-*WASHINGTON*-* 63,641 photos, 1,187 members
- New world order 30 photos, 14 members
- Statues, Gargoyles, and Sculptures. 11,413 photos, 916 members
- Art in Public Spaces - 3 per day 22,923 photos, 1,008 members
- Statues and Sculptures. 256,770 photos, 19,762 members
- Sculptures, Statues, and Public Art 176,631 photos, 9,554 members
- Major Focus 149 photos, 102 members
- art show 41,277 photos, 1,540 members
- Art Now 237,100 photos, 9,193 members
- ART / REAL 85,139 photos, 4,294 members
- ! ART & PHOTOGRAPHY ! No rules, No comments, Just Post 210,698 photos, 6,144 members
- 100 Views of Harley-Davidson 1,098 photos, 128 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 22,959 photos, 1,719 members
- ALL THAT IS HARLEY-DAVIDSON OR MOTORCYCLES U.S. 28,869 photos, 2,288 members
- Flickr Guayaquil 1,973 photos, 119 members
- GUAYAQUIL CITY 1,873 photos, 127 members
- Legendary Reggae Super Star Bob Marley 401 photos, 336 members
- Czech Tourism 2007 91 photos, 20 members
- Czech this out.....! 7,384 photos, 332 members
- John Lennon Wall - Prague Czech Republic 522 photos, 241 members
- Prague Street Photography 2,959 photos, 391 members
- Romantic Prague 5,860 photos, 677 members
- Prague Alternativa 5,031 photos, 583 members
- Prague ... 48,393 photos, 3,588 members
- Human Rights Observer 5,678 photos, 415 members
- Bees and Beekeeping (honeybees only) 5,430 photos, 882 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only)-Post 1/Fave or Comment 2 496,581 photos, 63,084 members
- Flickr Manizales 2,166 photos, 235 members
- Manizales 1,233 photos, 275 members
- Religious Art 5,703 photos, 750 members
- GRAPHiC WEAR 2,460 photos, 912 members
- T-Shirts 17,594 photos, 5,034 members
- Flowers Without Limits! 111,064 photos, 5,744 members
- Flower or Foliage Details 149,201 photos, 10,492 members
- Flowers all kinds 207,348 photos, 13,022 members
- Flowers Planet Photography 29,701 photos, 7,397 members
- Flower Flower Flower 135,445 photos, 16,100 members
- Flowers Group 207,617 photos, 17,417 members
- Fruits 10,935 photos, 2,052 members
- Fruit & Veg 163,471 photos, 31,319 members
- Fruits et légumes 53,309 photos, 12,728 members
- Economic Clusterf*ck (a.ka. Recession) of 2008-9 2,826 photos, 477 members
- BEE`S 1,563 photos, 539 members
"USTED ES UN SER AMABLE QUE DEDICA LA VELOCIDAD DE SU VIDA A LLENAR DE ENERGIA POSITIVA A LOS LUGARES DONDE LLEGA , SIEMPRE ES GRATO VER SU OBRA Y SABER DE USTED MENSAJERO DE BUENAS NUEVAS EN EL MUNDO . MUCHA SUERTE POR TODO Y HASTA PRONTO BARRYBAR"
26th June, 2008
"Going through Barrybar's articles, I found my self overwhelmed with appreciation and respect for his true sense of humanity and care. I deeply appreciate his sense of understanding and intellect. Not so often, with all the media propaganda and political nature of transferring knowledge and events, that one finds some one who truly know.
Coming to his photos, I have always enjoyed his documentation of graffitis and murals. I hope that one day as I pass by a bookstore that I find a thick book of his documentation of which I see as a great contribution to art and graphic design world."
27th November, 2006
ishy "I" says:
"gosh....I cant exactly write a testimonial because I have`nt gotten an iota of teh way thru reading the posts..suffice tuh say Im impresed, yuh are indeed a scholar,and sound like a fun and interesting person to be around..Thankyou for adding me to your contact list and hope sometime in teh not distant future ,to post an article, story , peice of music you have so far not come across...I look forward to reading this page in its entirity..Bless`d.."
27th August, 2006
"Much respect to Barry Bar. I always enjoy viewing his work as well as reading his commentaries. Sensitive to the world’s woes, Barry is a deep soul and that is translated thru his work and ideas. Thank you for sharing your ideas, vision and humor with us."
15th September, 2005
"There is always such a sense of humanity and care about his photos - one can tell that Patrick has a real skill for capturing the moment in which his photographs are taken. His subject matter is wide and varied, and his photos of his travels to all manner of incredible placesare gorgeous, and offer a great personal experience, especially those that are not typical 'tourits' photos. Anyone and everyone should spend some quality time looking at his work, it's some of my very favourite material on here. And besides all his photos, he's a very kind soul."
14th August, 2005
"Count yourself lucky that you've found this photostream, and turn green with envy as you see some of the things he's seen."
11th August, 2005
"I've known Barrybar for what seems like forever in flickr-time now. He's a consistant champion for the downtrodden, fair-minded and wild-bearded. His sensitivity gets poured into almost every shot."
11th August, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"I've come to know Patrick through his kind comments and his body of photographic work here at Flickr....and believe I have learned two things about him:
1) His heart and soul are extra large.... and because of this his contributions to this site touch many people positively and brighten their lives...
2) His gentleness as a human being is truly remarkable....he sees things and he feels things on a deep level...and here's the real nuance - he transmits those deep feelings to others through his words and his photos....
Patrick is a class act through and through....and we're very fortunate to have his wonderful presence here at Flickr....he adds dignity and respect to the site through his contributions...."
27th May, 2005
"I love Patrick's enthusiasm. It often rubs off on me. He is enthused about life, about people, about women, about places, about ... seems like just about everything.
I admire his integrity even more than I admire his incredible collection of photos. I have looked at many of those photos, but they seem to keep coming faster than I can look at them.
A fascinating man in a fascinating world."
26th May, 2005
Wired Jamaica says:
"Barrybar, you are a modern Renaissance Man!! I was exhausted just browsing through your over 3000 photos, realizing that your intellect and emotions are embedded in each and every one. Congratulations on managing to live life instead of being a victim of it. I hope we meet up some day in JA."
26th April, 2005
"Barrybar, now that's a site for sore eyes. He has apparently schlepped his camera to a fair percentage of the planet; it's enough to give you cultural whiplash but oh the things you'll see. And it seems that no matter where he goes he hangs out with beautiful women. What's up with that?"
16th April, 2005
Ten Directions says:
"Seeing the world through this modern day world traveler is amazing and wonderful. Patrick's portraits sing of humanity, hope, dignity, and strength. While governments and corporations endeavor to strip humanity away, here are people of Patrick's world, our world, that show it will never happen. It is a great gift that Patrick shares his pictures with us. I am so fortunate to have found this friend."
11th April, 2005
"2,741 photographs since December 20th 2004!!
Barrybar pops to the top of my friends' photos and I sit back laughing cause I know 15 or 20 more are going to come tumbling forth and wash us with color, and life. I get such a sense of place, of the variety, vibrancy and beauty that humans can create. Mostly I get a sense of barrybar's compassion.... your portraits! It is so obvious that people like you and trust you because they aren't looking at or relating to the camera, they are relating to you.
You are always showing what could be.
Gale with bits added by Stu"
7th April, 2005
"Great to discover a fellow greybeard with such a hungry eye and heart..."
5th April, 2005
"Patrick posts set after set of astounding images, a unique view of his life and times. I feel privileged to be an onlooker. His street art is now also my street art, his sunshine is my sunshine, his people, my people too. These colours lighten my heart!"
11th February, 2005
- December 2004
- I am:
- On the Move
- barrybar [at] gmail.com