I've had a fascination with visual arts ever since I can remember. As a child, when looking at paintings and photographs, I became immersed in them. I daydreamed about running around in the landscapes, entering buildings and walking the paths depicted in those images. I soon felt the urge to create some images of my own and started drawing and painting; a pastime I still regularly turn to.
From early age I enjoyed paging through books about art and admired the paintings of many painters, ranging from the renaissance masters to contemporaries as well as the few painters working in my home town of Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland. Nowadays I find inspiration for my photography in the works of painters like Edvard Munch, Odd Nerdrum, Lucian Freud and J.M.V. Turner, as well as in many of the classic and contemporary photographers.
When digital photography came available to me I started taking images as a reference for my paintings. I first visited flickr.com in 2005 and saw the wonderful things many amateur photographers were doing. It sparked the idea, that maybe my reference photos could stand alone as photographs. I posted a few of those old photos, which I had intended to use for painting, and started taking more images for my flickr page, which can be found at: flickr.com/photos/asmundur/
Prints are available for sale: www.photoshelter.com/usr-show/U0000wqVM5BJhihk/
I can be reached at asmundurth (at) gmail.com
If you are interested in HDR images you might want to check out my new blog: http://hdri.wordpress.com/
My new photoblog: asmundur.shutterchance.com/
- Through the Lens of an iPhone 30,225 photos, 7,450 members
- Black and White 4,932,125 photos, 243,277 members
- ~ Þemaklúbburinn 4,714 photos, 430 members
- Inqmnd Focus 21 photos, 24 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,874 photos, 770 members
- * The Envy & Envied Photos on Flickr! (invited) Public Group 14,502 photos, 4,551 members
- My Flickr's World 7,018 photos, 1,048 members
- Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland 1,854 photos, 136 members
- Reykjavik Iceland 4,580 photos, 548 members
- Epic Edits PhotoDump 42,879 photos, 1,863 members
- Better Than Good - Level 1 (p1/a5) 467,850 photos, 44,622 members
- landslagsmyndir 3,623 photos, 199 members
- Super Shots - Only Invited Photos - Nominate Now 259,355 photos, 40,909 members
- #1 GOLD WILDLIFE/ Post 1 - Award 2 (P2-A4) with AWARD CODE! 70,883 photos, 7,180 members
- A Double Fave (admins' choice) 920 photos, 2,889 members
- My Selfish Room (invited images only) 1,706 photos, 107 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 295,259 photos, 39,533 members
- 5 Flickr Favs (pool & contest invitation required) 10,518 photos, 2,161 members
- The Face (invited images only) 9,923 photos, 4,694 members
- One Of A Kind 603,332 photos, 20,230 members
- Umhverfi- Environment 91 photos, 205 members
- Portrett- Portrait 90 photos, 181 members
- Svart/hvítt - Black&White 89 photos, 185 members
- MAX Magazine 65,456 photos, 4,215 members
- Free Paris Hilton! 55 photos, 137 members
- FDRTools 597 photos, 97 members
- flickr GOLD***invited images only pls*** 65,270 photos, 13,411 members
- Simply The Best! (50+ Faves With Views:Faves / 10:1) Comment 3 3,011 photos, 1,036 members
- Icelandic landscape images 14,967 photos, 653 members
- An Awesome Shot! Invited Photos ONLY!! 373,505 photos, 50,643 members
- V100 8,282 photos, 266 members
- A+++ Photo (Post 1, Give 3 awards ONLY) Not commenting = Ban 507,758 photos, 28,423 members
- CITRIT,Best of yours! / Invited shots only/comment 2 / 294,047 photos, 29,714 members
- The Source - New perspectives and fresh inspiration! 2,262 photos, 671 members
- Íslenskar plöntur / Icelandic plants 1,387 photos, 185 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) - TIME TO VOTE!! 331,298 photos, 23,999 members
- FlickrsBest the original 88,741 photos, 14,775 members
- The Best. Nothing Else. 5,509 photos, 1,704 members
- Latent Imagery (before and after) 45 photos, 12 members
- *Flickr Photo Award* 147,618 photos, 7,861 members
- Beautiful Capture 2,199,871 photos, 78,952 members
- Digital Convicts - Australia 1,509 photos, 170 members
- flickrjob's different pics -1st stage.....post 1 - award 2 18,935 photos, 1,246 members
- The Knowledge Base (only images with technical description) 40 photos, 96 members
- Black and White and Color 41,433 photos, 3,701 members
- *Magic EYE* 40,043 photos, 3,937 members
- U&I Magazine 120,471 photos, 10,498 members
- Bratanesque (invited pics only) 3,367 photos, 666 members
- The Quadruple Crown 4 photos, 22 members
- Ljósmyndakeppni 13,354 photos, 688 members
u n c o m m o n says:
"I can only stick with the testimonial from mr Kris.. What els is there to say..."
6th September, 2007
Kris Kros says:
"You are my inspiration."
31st August, 2007
"ASMUNDUR IS A MASTA!!! A GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER!!! HE HAS A GREAT EYE AND CAPTURE WONDERFULLS THINGS!! THE HDR STYLE IS AMAZING!! ALL A PIONEER! I ENJOY A LOT HES STREAM ALLWAYS A PLEASURE!!! NEVER STOP TO TAKE PHOTOS!!! WE LOVE YOU MAN!!!"
1st May, 2007
"Asmundur photostream is a treat to the eyes. From compositions to color its a feast. Totally awesome."
25th April, 2007
Richelle Ludwick says:
"Absolutely stunning, engaging, magical photography."
16th July, 2006
1- After I saw his photos which are shockingly beautiful, I decided to learn about HDR.
2- I dropped a note to my agenda: "Find a way to immigrate to Iceland"
3- A serious photographer group in Istanbul begine to experiment on HDR.
Thank you! You did more then "reaching out and touching someone"; you became an inspiration."
6th April, 2006
Peter Sundstrom says:
"Asmundur has managed to create a very distinctive and successful style to his images. In particular, his HDR images with their moody skies and errie landscapes have a maximum impact and instant appeal."
31st March, 2006
"Asmundur's photos deliver such a strong punch with his exceptional sense of perspective and composition and the ability to see the world around him in an unique way. Great photos from a talented artist, a photostream I keep coming back to and one that I always look forward to visiting."
30th March, 2006
Ms. Moll says:
"This could get a bit ridiculous, I'd quite happily 'favorite' most of asmundur's photos - wonderful scenery, wonderful lighting and wonderful photos."
18th December, 2005
- Ásmundur Þorkelsson
- March 2005
- Kopavogur, Iceland
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- asmundurth [at] gmail.com