I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- PromoteU 2,308 photos, 56 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 304 photos, 15 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 2,834 photos, 154 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 20,954 photos, 3,687 members
- Moor/bog 1,480 photos, 82 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 1,179 photos, 66 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 172 photos, 48 members
- History is All Around Us 84,849 photos, 2,515 members
- Castle Hill 695 photos, 114 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 95,554 photos, 6,761 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 241,745 photos, 35,205 members
- British Outdoor Photographer 2,603 photos, 127 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,364 photos, 131 members
- British Rock Art Collection 186 photos, 63 members
- Black and White Photographs 16,518 photos, 386 members
- Guardian Camera Club 27,628 photos, 13,053 members
- UK snow – your pictures 540 photos, 241 members
- Countryfile 230,319 photos, 3,661 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 2,384 photos, 105 members
- Peak District Scenes 14,148 photos, 447 members
- British National Parks 24,249 photos, 776 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 158 photos, 43 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 981 photos, 37 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 28,338 photos, 3,528 members
- yorkshire based photographers 45,174 photos, 579 members
- VisitEngland 9,629 photos, 459 members
- PLANET EARTH OUR HOME 200,558 photos, 5,743 members
- Land escapes 708 photos, 58 members
- Peak District National Trust 908 photos, 36 members
- Winter Wonderland 224,286 photos, 21,915 members
- WorldLandscapes 213,720 photos, 8,087 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 448,043 photos, 10,542 members
- Peak District Activities 2,530 photos, 91 members
- Your Peak District Experience 7,151 photos, 224 members
- Your Yorkshire 126 photos, 28 members
- Capture the Countryside 251 photos, 80 members
- Rock Photography 119,350 photos, 8,038 members
- Hawkwind 373 photos, 42 members
- B&W 3,299,501 photos, 162,624 members
- B/W Landscapes 15,953 photos, 2,696 members
- Saddleworth Photobook 413 photos, 27 members
- Saddleworth and Surroundings 7,242 photos, 293 members
- The Green Earth Magazine 15,913 photos, 1,289 members
- Sheffield 38,400 photos, 2,073 members
- Heritage Key 37,609 photos, 1,691 members
- Standing Stones 7,954 photos, 1,653 members
- "U.K. PHOTO GALLERY" 402,906 photos, 3,517 members
- Yorkshire Weather Photos 5,384 photos, 515 members
- Art in Black and White 149,057 photos, 9,540 members
- ***MONO**SEPIA**Active sweeper** 58,495 photos, 3,258 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography