I'm twice a Flickr revenant - I came back in 2007 after two years self-imposed exile, then disappeared again in early 2009... Let's just say that while I love many, many things about Flickr, I'm not always sure it's good for me. It's certainly had a significant impact on my life since I first ventured here, and not always for the better.
Most of what I post here is street photography - it's my real passion, though I'm strictly an amateur. There is the occasional landscape and cityscape from time to time too, and the odd embarrassing self-portrait. Family photos, which probably include the images I'm most proud of, are elsewhere on Flickr.
My intention has always been only to post my best photographs (or those dearest to me), and not to flood the stream with a hundred images every time I come back from a trip.
Some of the earliest shots posted here were taken with an Olympus, but the majority have been taken with a Lumix Panasonic DMC-FX100 or (since my second return) a Leica D-LUX 4 - neither of which always gives me the quality of image I would like, but which are hard to beat for discretion when taking candid street shots.
One day I may be sucked into the vortex of camera technology, SLRs, sophisticated post-processing and so on, but I'm really only interested in the content, not the process. Given my chronic inability to draw, photography is the only medium that allows me to express myself visually - a discovery which I found tremendously liberating when I finally made it in late 2006.
What else is worth knowing about me ?
Well, at heart I'm a writer, so don't be surprised if sometimes there are essays or stories beneath my photographs. I don't yet have the confidence to allow my images to speak for themselves, I suppose, though I hope one day I will.
Also, I'm a deleter. Periodically I look back on my stream, think "Why the Hell did I post that?" and hit the delete button. I try not to delete anything that others seem to appreciate (which sounds like a lame attempt to get people to fave my pictures - really, it isn't), but sometimes it takes a few days or even longer of looking at an image on my stream before I'm really sure that it doesn't belong here.
Similarly, I'm not the kind of person who's going to fave a hundred pictures a day. If I've faved one of your pictures, it's because I've totally fallen in love with it.
Which leads me on to one last thing : I read on another contact's profile something along the lines of "And check out my Favourites - that's where the best stuff is to be found." I can't claim to have seen more than a tiny percentage of what's on Flickr, but I can say that I've been blown away by some of what I've seen. If you want to discover something new and magical - check out my Favourites. And if that seems like a daunting prospect, why not start with one of my galleries :
Hidden Treasures : a selection of some of my very favourite photographs that deserve a wider audience.
Photos of an untrained eye (9)
- www.street-photographers.com 280 photos, 4,246 members
- Guardian Art and design 219 photos, 125 members
- Fotothoughts 3,820 photos, 653 members
- London Streets 32,741 photos, 3,229 members
- Candid Street Portraiture 5,243 photos, 2,354 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,414 photos, 397 members
- Banc Public Bench 11,314 photos, 2,001 members
- Leica M photography 103,549 photos, 3,485 members
- amsterdam street photography 271 photos, 50 members
- Denmark street photography 1,392 photos, 250 members
- Vespa 18,120 photos, 4,581 members
- Lisboa 70,090 photos, 4,948 members
- Barbican Centre 3,123 photos, 383 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,514 members
- Image Gallery !!! 162,674 photos, 3,358 members
- TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK 3,362 photos, 3,384 members
- MOSSLESS MAGAZINE 11,730 photos, 3,254 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,813 photos, 19,404 members
- 6000 views + 240 faves 446 photos, 148 members
- Leica D-LUX 4 31,073 photos, 1,562 members
- New York City People 17,014 photos, 692 members
- Croci di montagna / Cruces de montaña / Crosses of mountain 597 photos, 181 members
- theMoMAproject [NYC] 32,243 photos, 4,654 members
- *GreatPixGallery 300 Faves+ 1,629 photos, 323 members
- Favorites: 300 796 photos, 321 members
- Timing! 1,652 photos, 555 members
- 'Views: 20,000+ 387 photos, 340 members
- Free Hugs!! xo 175 photos, 86 members
- 7th Wave 899 photos, 102 members
- Favorites: 250 660 photos, 438 members
- 'Views: 15,000 - 20,000 181 photos, 314 members
- flickr@lausanne 23,675 photos, 594 members
- Lausanne 8,467 photos, 714 members
- Realidad Ficticia-Fictitious Reality-15th Exhibition" group 0 photos, 685 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,816 photos, 508 members
- Favorites: 175 254 photos, 473 members
- Favorites: 200 1,506 photos, 1,201 members
- Brussels 61,834 photos, 2,851 members
- Streets of the European Union 1,273 photos, 162 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 257 photos, 2,476 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 10,265 photos, 1,855 members
- Photographie au carré 35,749 photos, 944 members
- Achromatic Vision 3,182 photos, 86 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 776,082 photos, 95,735 members
- Siberian Husky 16,757 photos, 1,947 members
- 'Views: 10,000 - 15,000 376 photos, 355 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,962 photos, 1,325 members
- Fight Club - Politics & Society (project mayhem) 17,852 photos, 1,669 members
- Chicago... 121,679 photos, 8,145 members
- Ville e giardini italiani 8,822 photos, 945 members
"Although he calls himself "untrained" i see lots of experiences in his photos. Traces of life, natural scenes. But witty and powerful. I'm always glad to meet with him when i visit his photostream. Thanks for inspiration."
4th April, 2008
- February 2007
- Geneva, Switzerland
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Trying to make sense of it all