I'm twice a Flickr revenant - I came back in 2007 after two years self-imposed exile, then disappeared again in early 2009... Let's just say that while I love many, many things about Flickr, I'm not always sure it's good for me. It's certainly had a significant impact on my life since I first ventured here, and not always for the better.
Most of what I post here is street photography - it's my real passion, though I'm strictly an amateur. There is the occasional landscape and cityscape from time to time too, and the odd embarrassing self-portrait. Family photos, which probably include the images I'm most proud of, are elsewhere on Flickr.
My intention has always been only to post my best photographs (or those dearest to me), and not to flood the stream with a hundred images every time I come back from a trip.
Some of the earliest shots posted here were taken with an Olympus, but the majority have been taken with a Lumix Panasonic DMC-FX100 or (since my second return) a Leica D-LUX 4 - neither of which always gives me the quality of image I would like, but which are hard to beat for discretion when taking candid street shots.
One day I may be sucked into the vortex of camera technology, SLRs, sophisticated post-processing and so on, but I'm really only interested in the content, not the process. Given my chronic inability to draw, photography is the only medium that allows me to express myself visually - a discovery which I found tremendously liberating when I finally made it in late 2006.
What else is worth knowing about me ?
Well, at heart I'm a writer, so don't be surprised if sometimes there are essays or stories beneath my photographs. I don't yet have the confidence to allow my images to speak for themselves, I suppose, though I hope one day I will.
Also, I'm a deleter. Periodically I look back on my stream, think "Why the Hell did I post that?" and hit the delete button. I try not to delete anything that others seem to appreciate (which sounds like a lame attempt to get people to fave my pictures - really, it isn't), but sometimes it takes a few days or even longer of looking at an image on my stream before I'm really sure that it doesn't belong here.
Similarly, I'm not the kind of person who's going to fave a hundred pictures a day. If I've faved one of your pictures, it's because I've totally fallen in love with it.
Which leads me on to one last thing : I read on another contact's profile something along the lines of "And check out my Favourites - that's where the best stuff is to be found." I can't claim to have seen more than a tiny percentage of what's on Flickr, but I can say that I've been blown away by some of what I've seen. If you want to discover something new and magical - check out my Favourites. And if that seems like a daunting prospect, why not start with one of my galleries :
Hidden Treasures : a selection of some of my very favourite photographs that deserve a wider audience.
Photos of an untrained eye (9)
- CrowdMedia Photo Publishing Contest 71 photos, 103 members
- www.street-photographers.com 281 photos, 4,592 members
- Guardian Art and design 216 photos, 121 members
- Fotothoughts 3,716 photos, 672 members
- London Streets 42,375 photos, 4,849 members
- Candid Street Portraiture 6,632 photos, 2,357 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,370 photos, 414 members
- Banc Public Bench 12,121 photos, 2,007 members
- Leica M photography 145,087 photos, 4,802 members
- amsterdam street photography 420 photos, 53 members
- Denmark street photography 1,377 photos, 274 members
- Vespa 18,991 photos, 4,794 members
- Lisboa 76,725 photos, 5,205 members
- Barbican Centre 3,289 photos, 402 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,435 members
- Image Gallery !!! 196,578 photos, 3,766 members
- TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK 5,161 photos, 3,548 members
- MOSSLESS MAGAZINE 11,260 photos, 3,389 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,515 photos, 19,153 members
- 6000 views + 240 faves 576 photos, 163 members
- Leica D-LUX 4 31,655 photos, 1,556 members
- New York City People 18,750 photos, 725 members
- Croci di montagna / Cruces de montaña / Crosses of mountain 647 photos, 188 members
- theMoMAproject [NYC] 32,337 photos, 4,636 members
- *GreatPixGallery 300 Faves+ 1,810 photos, 341 members
- Favorites: 300 1,196 photos, 388 members
- Timing! 1,632 photos, 580 members
- 'Views: 20,000+ 502 photos, 366 members
- Free Hugs!! xo 175 photos, 88 members
- 7th Wave 778 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 250 884 photos, 505 members
- 'Views: 15,000 - 20,000 306 photos, 345 members
- flickr@lausanne 25,969 photos, 618 members
- Lausanne 9,136 photos, 759 members
- Realidad Ficticia-Fictitious Reality-15th Exhibition" group 0 photos, 683 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,807 photos, 531 members
- Favorites: 175 579 photos, 549 members
- Favorites: 200 2,195 photos, 1,339 members
- Brussels 64,806 photos, 2,918 members
- Streets of the European Union 1,404 photos, 164 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 252 photos, 3,061 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 9,888 photos, 2,596 members
- Photographie au carré 37,940 photos, 971 members
- Achromatic Vision 2,824 photos, 87 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 842,520 photos, 107,462 members
- Siberian Husky 17,411 photos, 1,982 members
- 'Views: 10,000 - 15,000 594 photos, 405 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,782 photos, 1,316 members
- Fight Club - Politics & Society (project mayhem) 18,650 photos, 1,677 members
- Chicago... 128,908 photos, 8,259 members
"Although he calls himself "untrained" i see lots of experiences in his photos. Traces of life, natural scenes. But witty and powerful. I'm always glad to meet with him when i visit his photostream. Thanks for inspiration."
4th April, 2008
- February 2007
- Geneva, Switzerland
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Trying to make sense of it all