(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. I am one of the three councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and the small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
I was asked about the expenses and allowance I get as an elected local councillor.
Like every Haringey councillor I receive a basic annual allowance (From May 2010 it's £10,500 p.a.) I do not receive an additional Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA).
Please click here to read or download my Registration of Members' Interests and the list of all Gifts and Hospitality received since I was first elected to the Council in May 1998. (Up-to-date May 2011.) I have not claimed for any expenses.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- CANALMANIA 6,561 photos, 323 members
- Caution, Danger & Warning Signs 992 photos, 306 members
- Murals and Mosaics 43,782 photos, 3,385 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 28 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 492 photos, 31 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 21,932 photos, 1,944 members
- Signless Signs 1,216 photos, 224 members
- Blank Signs 134 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 292 photos, 69 members
- North Circular Road 1,162 photos, 58 members
- Ladders 1,263 photos, 506 members
- Primrose Hill 386 photos, 82 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 5,627 photos, 584 members
- The Shard 777 photos, 115 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 2,941 photos, 546 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 867 photos, 43 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 6,231 photos, 1,091 members
- We Love Street Art 131,129 photos, 2,084 members
- Street Art London 46,544 photos, 1,451 members
- Street Art on Flickr 346,847 photos, 5,660 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 46,021 photos, 2,487 members
- Snow in my 'hood 4,305 photos, 342 members
- Rickmansworth 1,260 photos, 83 members
- March for a future that works - 20 October 366 photos, 9 members
- London Sculptures 3,514 photos, 160 members
- shaft of light 108 photos, 18 members
- abandoned toys 170 photos, 39 members
- Diamond Jubilee 2012 London 862 photos, 157 members
- Public Art In Belgium 2,558 photos, 159 members
- Blue Room 9,094 photos, 746 members
- Stroud Green 178 photos, 42 members
- Busking 1,472 photos, 209 members
- Images of the village 7,551 photos, 357 members
- Barnet & Enfield 4,722 photos, 230 members
- ugly architecture 2,212 photos, 327 members
- I can see the Shard from here 805 photos, 110 members
- Occupy London 2,208 photos, 172 members
- My Muswell 50 photos, 17 members
- London Shops 6,175 photos, 688 members
- War Memorials 25,131 photos, 1,949 members
- Filmers of the Filming 1,318 photos, 193 members
- Just walking 25,783 photos, 1,585 members
- Local Government Does Brilliant Things 1,071 photos, 81 members
- Wood Work 3,896 photos, 653 members
- Spelling & Grammar Errors 2,194 photos, 348 members
- Cemetery UK (not churchyards) 11,117 photos, 556 members
- Go! Post-it! 648 photos, 246 members
- London and UK riots 2,259 photos, 315 members
- Rivers 73,741 photos, 6,249 members
- Antwerp Central Station 1,426 photos, 199 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
21st April, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken