(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. I am one of the three councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and the small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
I was asked about the expenses and allowance I get as an elected local councillor.
Like every Haringey councillor I receive a basic annual allowance (From May 2010 it's £10,500 p.a.) I do not receive an additional Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA).
Please click here to read or download my Registration of Members' Interests and the list of all Gifts and Hospitality received since I was first elected to the Council in May 1998. (Up-to-date May 2011.) I have not claimed for any expenses.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Caution, Danger & Warning Signs 946 photos, 301 members
- Murals and Mosaics 42,408 photos, 3,349 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 21 photos, 57 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 490 photos, 29 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 21,602 photos, 1,942 members
- Signless Signs 1,209 photos, 225 members
- Blank Signs 131 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 236 photos, 50 members
- North Circular Road 1,136 photos, 57 members
- Ladders 1,272 photos, 494 members
- Primrose Hill 383 photos, 81 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 5,346 photos, 566 members
- The Shard 636 photos, 106 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 2,681 photos, 510 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 709 photos, 42 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 5,913 photos, 1,035 members
- We Love Street Art 123,363 photos, 2,051 members
- Street Art London 44,424 photos, 1,424 members
- Street Art on Flickr 329,309 photos, 5,457 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 45,143 photos, 2,473 members
- Snow in my 'hood 4,119 photos, 341 members
- Rickmansworth 1,175 photos, 79 members
- March for a future that works - 20 October 366 photos, 9 members
- London Sculptures 3,323 photos, 160 members
- shaft of light 101 photos, 16 members
- abandoned toys 156 photos, 38 members
- Diamond Jubilee 2012 London 872 photos, 157 members
- Public Art In Belgium 2,501 photos, 156 members
- Blue Room 8,446 photos, 708 members
- Stroud Green 178 photos, 42 members
- Busking 1,472 photos, 205 members
- Images of the village 7,097 photos, 347 members
- Barnet & Enfield 4,655 photos, 226 members
- ugly architecture 2,172 photos, 323 members
- I can see the Shard from here 763 photos, 93 members
- Occupy London 2,185 photos, 173 members
- My Muswell 50 photos, 16 members
- London Shops 5,783 photos, 623 members
- War Memorials 24,778 photos, 1,930 members
- Filmers of the Filming 1,310 photos, 193 members
- Just walking 25,088 photos, 1,555 members
- Local Government Does Brilliant Things 1,059 photos, 79 members
- Wood Work 3,612 photos, 621 members
- Spelling & Grammar Errors 2,181 photos, 349 members
- Cemetery UK (not churchyards) 10,750 photos, 550 members
- Go! Post-it! 645 photos, 248 members
- London and UK riots 2,263 photos, 314 members
- Rivers 69,660 photos, 5,960 members
- Antwerp Central Station 1,402 photos, 193 members
- Bus UK: Buses and Pubs 909 photos, 202 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
21st April, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken