Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 302 photos, 290 members
- Murals and Mosaics 39,091 photos, 3,267 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,095 photos, 422 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,170 photos, 250 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 9,534 photos, 465 members
- Mystic Travellers 2,202 photos, 159 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 17,566 photos, 1,737 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 26,349 photos, 4,921 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 4,163 photos, 1,341 members
- People of North East India 2,768 photos, 182 members
- Cemeteries around the world 15,313 photos, 364 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 32,805 photos, 1,929 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 4,786 photos, 16,078 members
- Prints of Darkness 20,560 photos, 6,891 members
- Maroon culture 202 photos, 14 members
- silhouette 269,467 photos, 35,727 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,067,831 photos, 72,085 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 56,833 photos, 2,817 members
- Morocco 36,616 photos, 4,720 members
- Suriname pictures 4,391 photos, 195 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 67,955 photos, 2,987 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 105,767 photos, 13,685 members
- SAARC Photographers 11,705 photos, 720 members
- Mosques and Minarets 40,135 photos, 5,783 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 20,085 photos, 1,712 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 130,030 photos, 4,599 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 361 photos, 158 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 367,693 photos, 5,866 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 511 photos, 147 members
- India Song 28,368 photos, 1,548 members
- People of the Great Rivers 4,728 photos, 913 members
- Cultural Boxes 77,296 photos, 2,719 members
- Israel 60,934 photos, 1,734 members
- Jewish World 22,344 photos, 2,323 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 111,027 photos, 6,729 members
- Peoples of India 53,111 photos, 3,814 members
- Decisive Moment 70,814 photos, 18,991 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 5,226 photos, 614 members
- Praise and curse of the city 82,725 photos, 2,962 members
- Global Photojournalism 356,054 photos, 22,062 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,408 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 17,513 photos, 2,460 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Sleep' 93,008 photos, 13,317 members
- Architectural Details 18,651 photos, 519 members
- top20kafkaesk 10 photos, 8 members
- 100 years old 23,369 photos, 6,441 members
- buildings all over the world 1,279 photos, 75 members
- Bengal / Bangla 13,090 photos, 1,012 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 719 photos, 212 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 536,658 photos, 10,423 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken