"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction." ~Rachel Carson
The New England coastline and countryside are central to my work. I first began shooting it as a 9-year-old child with cameras borrowed from my uncles and a neighbor. Fifty-three years later, I'm still at it.
As a kid, my favorite places to shoot were the fields and meadows behind the small farm where I grew up and the city streets near where my grandmothers lived. At a very young age, the marshes and beaches of Barnstable near where my dad's Cape Cod friends and relatives lived captivated me.
My walks were long because I expected the beauty to continue but was crushed as I found areas violated by man. Horrified that one friend's dad was polluting a stream that fed a favorite beaver dam, I became an outspoken child. It wasn't long before I was introduced to the work of Rachel Carson.
While I prefer photographing the beauty around us, I feel I owe an obligation to show what happens when we do not respect the earth. My series, "Wasted in the USA" shows abandoned properties and pollution in locations not far from where I live.
After owning a marketing communications firm for thirty years and dabbling in real estate for a decade, last year I made a decision to dedicate myself to fine arts and documentary photography. From this point forward, you'll see my work on the internet as well in galleries and other locations around Massachusetts and the globe. (I'm also open to shows, lectures, writing and publishing. Please contact me to begin talking.) I like sharing my photography with anyone who shows an interest.
Recently, I began to explore offering workshops and talks on the importance of creativity in our lives -- a topic of lifelong importance to me.
I am the founder and executive director of New England Night Photographers, a group dedicated to the fine art of shooting after the sun sets and before it rises in the morning -- night photography (NPy). The goal of NENP is to provide opportunities to shoot in groups, enhance composition, technique, the technical, processing, printing and marketing skills in workshops, and participate in exhibits of your processed images online and in galleries. In 2013, we organized our First Annual Members Show, and it was met with tremendous enthusiasm by members, the public and the press. The next members show will be open August 22, 2014 at Laura's Center for the Arts and run though September.
Over on Facebook, I curate photo groups for the pure joy of encouraging other photographers. One of my photo pals and I started Black & White New England but soon friends were asking us to start other groups and we expanded the list to New England Color, New England @ Night, iPhoneography, The World @ Night, The World in Color, The World in Black & White, Street Photography, and Portraits.
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." - Ansel Adams
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II & Mark III Users 220,627 photos, 6,275 members
- Putting Photography First 5,385 photos, 100 members
- Boston @ Night 173 photos, 38 members
- Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge 667 photos, 186 members
- Canon EOS M Mirrorless Cameras 2,016 photos, 233 members
- Flickr for iPhone 28,193 photos, 3,650 members
- Black & or Blue 2,022 photos, 303 members
- Canon EOS M & M2 Series - Mirrorless 11,811 photos, 1,409 members
- Lake George, NY 1,859 photos, 278 members
- Bulb Mode Gallery 1,712 photos, 294 members
- B&W DREAMS 107,091 photos, 4,038 members
- Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 12,088 photos, 698 members
- Black and White Fine Art Photographers of New England 1,899 photos, 91 members
- Nikon 1 V1 & V2 8,623 photos, 473 members
- Dogs, all shapes and sizes 15,147 photos, 1,350 members
- Dog Days! 32,484 photos, 6,084 members
- Harry's Friends 14,368 photos, 1,024 members
- Mars Weekly's Travel Light Photography 78,082 photos, 2,913 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 14,721 photos, 1,997 members
- LANDSCAPE & SEASCAPES 4,027 photos, 227 members
- Cape Cod Photography 3,201 photos, 314 members
- Empty chairs in empty places 2,072 photos, 199 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,166 photos, 7,134 members
- *** OPEN SPACE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY!* 8,637 photos, 345 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,516,923 photos, 78,247 members
- The scent of photography 76,118 photos, 2,564 members
- Moon & Moonscapes 6,302 photos, 1,070 members
- Full Moon 7,649 photos, 2,341 members
- Full Moons in Different Months and Places 40 photos, 8 members
- Moon Full or otherwise 15,697 photos, 4,343 members
- Southcoast Massachusetts Photographers 260 photos, 28 members
- GeoPrinting 8 photos, 10 members
- ***SCREAM OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER*** 1,590,435 photos, 39,279 members
- 6x6 / 6x7 *iPhone app only* 1,861 photos, 91 members
- Because every picture has a story to tell 10,778 photos, 503 members
- canon photography 3,142,052 photos, 64,953 members
- Global Photojournalism; Politics, News, Protest, and Culture 290,983 photos, 18,874 members
- Canon Imagination 749,214 photos, 19,063 members
- Memories are photographs that records the heart 9,280 photos, 396 members
- artland 553,305 photos, 29,670 members
- Me Again Monday: LAST SPACE FOR THEME CHOOSER! 4,741 photos, 469 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,711 photos, 14,652 members
- Massachusetts 54,878 photos, 975 members
- FarmCoast 81 photos, 9 members
- Todays Posting 6,165 photos, 495 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 292,341 photos, 31,226 members
- 11.11.11 - Nov. 11, 2011 409 photos, 114 members
- 11-11-11 Flickr Project 691 photos, 232 members
- 11-11-11 Massachusetts 6 photos, 7 members
- De la light 1,611 photos, 127 members
TheBeachSaint doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Kate Hannon
- June 2010
- Whitman, MA
- Rexhame, Marshfield, MA, United States
- I am:
- Female and Single
- Fine Art Photographer & Writer
- Kate Hannon Impressions