"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction." ~Rachel Carson
The New England coastline and countryside are central to my work. I first began shooting it as a 9-year-old child with cameras borrowed from my uncles and a neighbor. Fifty-three years later, I'm still at it.
As a kid, my favorite places to shoot were the fields and meadows behind the small farm where I grew up and the city streets near where my grandmothers lived. At a very young age, the marshes and beaches of Barnstable near where my dad's Cape Cod friends and relatives lived captivated me.
My walks were long because I expected the beauty to continue but was crushed as I found areas violated by man. Horrified that one friend's dad was polluting a stream that fed a favorite beaver dam, I became an outspoken child. It wasn't long before I was introduced to the work of Rachel Carson.
While I prefer photographing the beauty around us, I feel I owe an obligation to show what happens when we do not respect the earth. My series, "Wasted in the USA" shows abandoned properties and pollution in locations not far from where I live.
After owning a marketing communications firm for thirty years and dabbling in real estate for a decade, last year I made a decision to dedicate myself to fine arts and documentary photography. From this point forward, you'll see my work on the internet as well in galleries and other locations around Massachusetts and the globe. (I'm also open to shows, lectures, writing and publishing. Please contact me to begin talking.) I like sharing my photography with anyone who shows an interest.
Recently, I began to explore offering workshops and talks on the importance of creativity in our lives -- a topic of lifelong importance to me.
I am the founder and executive director of New England Night Photographers, a group dedicated to the fine art of shooting after the sun sets and before it rises in the morning -- night photography (NPy). The goal of NENP is to provide opportunities to shoot in groups, enhance composition, technique, the technical, processing, printing and marketing skills in workshops, and participate in exhibits of your processed images online and in galleries. In 2013, we organized our First Annual Members Show, and it was met with tremendous enthusiasm by members, the public and the press. The next members show will be open August 22, 2014 at Laura's Center for the Arts and run though September.
Over on Facebook, I curate photo groups for the pure joy of encouraging other photographers. One of my photo pals and I started Black & White New England but soon friends were asking us to start other groups and we expanded the list to New England Color, New England @ Night, iPhoneography, The World @ Night, The World in Color, The World in Black & White, Street Photography, and Portraits.
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." - Ansel Adams
- Eat, Pray & Love - Comer, Rezar & Amar 763 photos, 194 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II & Mark III Users 242,461 photos, 6,640 members
- Putting Photography First 6,143 photos, 112 members
- Boston @ Night 196 photos, 43 members
- Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge 682 photos, 189 members
- Canon EOS M Mirrorless Cameras 3,112 photos, 336 members
- Flickr for iPhone 38,603 photos, 4,436 members
- Black & or Blue 2,124 photos, 308 members
- Canon EOS M & M2 Series - Mirrorless 15,570 photos, 1,719 members
- Lake George, NY 1,881 photos, 283 members
- Bulb Mode Gallery 2,370 photos, 387 members
- B&W DREAMS 115,790 photos, 4,258 members
- Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 14,197 photos, 779 members
- Black and White Fine Art Photographers of New England 2,091 photos, 100 members
- Nikon 1 V1 & V2 9,556 photos, 507 members
- Dogs, all shapes and sizes 17,359 photos, 1,566 members
- Dog Days! 38,957 photos, 6,852 members
- Harry's Friends 14,507 photos, 1,021 members
- Mars Weekly's Travel Light Photography 100,688 photos, 3,347 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 17,559 photos, 2,235 members
- LANDSCAPE & SEASCAPES 4,484 photos, 251 members
- Cape Cod Photography 3,381 photos, 325 members
- Empty chairs in empty places 2,167 photos, 205 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,099 photos, 6,986 members
- OPEN SPACE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY!* 10,136 photos, 385 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,802,145 photos, 81,040 members
- The scent of photography 87,374 photos, 2,634 members
- Moon & Moonscapes 6,607 photos, 1,104 members
- Full Moon 7,903 photos, 2,348 members
- Full Moons in Different Months and Places 40 photos, 8 members
- Moon Full or otherwise 18,068 photos, 4,852 members
- Southcoast Massachusetts Photographers 307 photos, 29 members
- GeoPrinting 8 photos, 9 members
- ***SCREAM OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER*** 1,656,674 photos, 40,302 members
- 6x6 / 6x7 *iPhone app only* 1,907 photos, 89 members
- Because every picture has a story to tell 12,507 photos, 535 members
- canon photography 3,325,810 photos, 67,690 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, Politics, and News 338,102 photos, 23,287 members
- Canon Imagination 847,573 photos, 20,152 members
- Memories are photographs that records the heart 10,427 photos, 405 members
- artland 590,462 photos, 30,436 members
- Me Again Monday: Open 4,976 photos, 476 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,617 photos, 14,514 members
- Massachusetts 56,565 photos, 982 members
- FarmCoast 82 photos, 9 members
- Todays Posting 6,419 photos, 491 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 300,435 photos, 34,825 members
- 11.11.11 - Nov. 11, 2011 410 photos, 113 members
- 11-11-11 Flickr Project 695 photos, 232 members
- 11-11-11 Massachusetts 6 photos, 7 members
TheBeachSaint doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Kate Hannon
- June 2010
- Whitman, MA
- Rexhame, Marshfield, MA, United States
- I am:
- Female and Single
- Fine Art Photographer & Writer
- Kate Hannon Impressions