See more at www.MichaelAndersonGallery.com
I am alone, surrounded in the shadows of the greatest mountains on earth. The scene before me hasn't changed much over the last Millennia. I feel enriched here witnessing this spectacle. I'm enriched in ways that can't be qualified or counted. Lewis Mumford once said, "Raw experience is empty, for it is not what one does, but what one realizes that keeps existence from being vain and trivial. It is the artist who realizes human experience, who takes the raw lump of ore we find in nature, smelts it, refines it, and stamps it into coins that can pass from hand to hand and make every man who touches them the richer."
I take photographs to define my experiences, to encapsulate these moments and share the earth's most extraordinary places with my friends and all of the aspiring vagabonds and wilderness travelers that hope to be there one day. If you've found my website and are reading this, you're probably a lot like me. You find it difficult to describe your fascination with the wonders of the earth and the cultures most connected to it. Somehow, these feelings have defined you and how you live your life. Here within these pages, you will see the places that existed in my own childhood dreams.
I realize these dreams were not mine alone. I have friends that have dreamed of climbing and trekking in the Himalaya since the day we all climbed the tallest tree in the neighborhood, tied an American flag to the top and posed like Tenzing Norgay for the 'summit' photograph. I realize that most of those friends will never make their journey there. Life gets in the way sometimes. But I have tried to share the majesty, intimacy and timelessness of these places in my photographs in a way I hope you can all relate to. I've tried to capture the reality of my childhood imaginations and share them with you. I realize that despite having grown up with these dreams, nobody needs to go on a trip like this. But as we work through the daily routine of life at home, sometimes it helps to know that we could go. That it's all really there. Better yet, I hope my photographs inspire a few of you to actually follow your dreams and take your journey. I want to remind everyone that ordinary working people can visit remote places like this. They do it all the time. These are not expensive or difficult places to explore if you travel independently and stay with the locals. And of course, there are endless experiences to be had in the wilderness areas of our own backyard.
But you can't begin a journey if you don't step out. There is nothing mysterious about a rucksack. All you need are a couple changes of clothes, some hard earned time off and less money than you think. Get out there and watch the ravens fly through the dazzling glow of a remote slot canyon, watch the northern lights dance over the snows of Denali, or take an extended journey and join the Tibetan pilgrims spinning prayer wheels outside a cliffside monastery. Fish for Pirrhana in the Amazon, watch autumn leaves fall in a gentle snowstorm in Patagonia, or marvel at a palm tree swaying dark against a billion stars while camping on a moonless night in the middle of the South Pacific. It's all there. And the earth needs people who travel this way, who earn their time with its treasures, and promote its conservation. Time is the most precious commodity we actually own.
Live your dreams.
Explore the world...
Photos of AndersonImages (4)
- Landscape ART /// High Quality & Best Landscapes in the World 1,695 photos, 880 members
- Top 25 Nature's Beauty 24 photos, 655 members
- It's more fun in the Philippines! 4,548 photos, 375 members
- Next Destination Philippines 530 photos, 26 members
- Philippines Travel Attractions 3,815 photos, 292 members
- Philippines 144,575 photos, 7,660 members
- Philippines Images 50,318 photos, 3,003 members
- Nature's Power 30,280 photos, 996 members
- Scenics & Wilderness (Admin Invite Only) 3,480 photos, 294 members
- Night Photography 284,062 photos, 19,730 members
- Jericoacoara 1,327 photos, 155 members
- Thailand's Islands and Beaches 22,030 photos, 2,698 members
- Thailand Showcase Gallery (5+ Faves) - Only the Best 4,560 photos, 623 members
- Thailand Travel Photo 6,560 photos, 720 members
- Thailand Images 153,880 photos, 8,930 members
- Landscape Masterclass 1,526 photos, 400 members
- Flickr Foto Fame (Gallery of Outstanding Photos) 2,107 photos, 1,645 members
- Landscapes and seashores of the Seychelles (No People Please) 4,702 photos, 500 members
- Seychelles Islands 4,913 photos, 330 members
- Outdoor Photographers Around The World 1,982 photos, 131 members
- Portrait Beauty ! 61,852 photos, 4,204 members
- Portraits have Souls 43,016 photos, 3,639 members
- portraits and faces. 509,664 photos, 38,555 members
- Brasil/Brazil 271,326 photos, 10,727 members
- South America - public group 99,661 photos, 3,077 members
- Sand 7,428 photos, 1,141 members
- Best VIDEOS on Flickr! 21,828 photos, 6,402 members
- Photographer's Choice~Hall of Fame (Invitation) 22,348 photos, 2,040 members
- Portrait of the world - Ritratti dal mondo 66,272 photos, 6,613 members
- Himalayas 26,018 photos, 1,576 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 19,231 photos, 23,554 members
- Beach Paradise 3,792 photos, 356 members
- EyeWalks Klub 50,693 photos, 3,151 members
- flickr Travel Award (Post 1 - Award 3) 109,240 photos, 5,808 members
- Your Very Best 31,414 photos, 1,364 members
- F-Stop - Nature, Landscape & Wildlife 25,972 photos, 973 members
- Waterfalls Around the World 69,005 photos, 10,754 members
- CERUL DE DEASUPRA NOASTRA ... / THE SKY ABOVE US 13,979 photos, 684 members
- Brasil 215,335 photos, 8,688 members
- Argentina 133,607 photos, 6,854 members
- Peru Photos 29,776 photos, 1,899 members
- www.perufotoguia.com 18,664 photos, 1,555 members
- The Look of Southwest 18,356 photos, 1,007 members
- *The Best of Landscape around the world* 1,024 photos, 1,903 members
- The Light Painters Society 311,771 photos, 14,032 members
- ~ Flickr's Finest (100+ Faves Only) ~ 6,016 photos, 650 members
- The Pantheon of Landscape 4,169 photos, 540 members
- World's Most Beautiful Mountains 435 photos, 187 members
- HassyNYC 653 photos, 38 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 336,439 photos, 12,223 members
Stefan Elf says:
"At AndersonImages you're transported into a different world - a more beautiful world. The photos remind me of all the beautiful places I yet have to visit with my camera! Thanks for sharing your wonderful work, I'll keep watching for new pictures!"
2nd March, 2010
Kah Kit Yoong says:
"I've had the pleasure of enjoying Michael's vision for several years now on NPN and he is a tremendous inspiration. I am constantly blown away by Michael's photographic work but his efforts to explore the world are just as admirable. There is no other landscape artist with a portfolio that is so consistently brilliant. I should also mention that his new website sets a new benchmark."
29th October, 2008
Michael Bollino says:
"The first time I stumbled across Michael's website I literally held my breath as I moved through his gallery. His fine art images of the high Himalaya are among the best I've ever seen. Majestic, powerful, complete. An artist truly in control of his craft. Fortunately for us, Michael takes his talent and passion and moves through the planet's wildest places, returning home with photographs of unparalleled beauty and grandeur. Some photographers develop the ability to create breathtaking images within the controlled comforts of their "backyard", but Michael is one of only a handful who have applied their creative ambitions to the Earth's great ranges with such a high degree of success. Without a shred of overstatement, I believe Michael's photography is in a league all it's own and reflects a master hand at work. I look forward to experiencing many more of his images in the future...."
14th October, 2008
"Michael is one of those great nature photographers I've been following in NPN, who has really inspired me to get into photography myself. He has spent many years observing and learning from the Great Galen Rowell while working as a ranger in Yosemite. I'm always tempted to think of Galen Rowell's work when I see Michael's.
Living a hectic life as an ER Doctor in Colorado, he is able to squeeze time at least once every year to visit the remotest part of the earth, intigrate with the locals, and bring back photographs of the majesty of those places, for us to see them.
Michael's work is an inspiration!!!"
31st August, 2008
- Michael Anderson
- June 2007
- Golden, Colorado, USA
- I am: