Back in mrwaterslide's teaching days(before the notion, much less the reality, of mrwaterslide had even been thought of), he used to read a little essay to his students called something like "A Love Transcending Sadness." The essay was written by Willie Morris, the Mississippi writer, and appeared in a most unlikely venue: Parade Magazine, yes, that Parade, the newspaper's Sunday supplement.
In the essay, Mr. Morris talked about his feelings about graveyards, described cemeteries he'd visited, inscriptions he'd enjoyed (Here lies Johnny Kongapod/Have mercy on him, gracious God/as he would on you if he was God/And You were Johnny Kongapod). At the end of the essay, Mr. Morris provides this quote:
"All that we can know about those we have loved and lost," Thornton Wilder wrote, "is that they would wish us to remember them with a more intensified realization of their reality. What is essential does not die but clarifies. The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude."
At some point, this proto-mrwaterslide fellow began collecting photographs, and here, in this photostream, you can see the fruits of his labors. The 1000 (and counting) photos posted here are but a fraction of the 30.000 (give-or-take) photos in the larger collection, which grows almost daily.
In posting these photos, I, John, (mrwaterslide's alter ego) do not seek to mock, denigrate, or defame any of these individuals. Some of the photos may arrive with a bit of attendant tarnish or satirical content, but as many of you have pointed out, there is majesty in most any life, if one looks for it.
As to himself, mrwaterslide has a bunch of cds (played often) and a bunch of records (mouldering), several thousand plastic armymen, stored away in boxes, a cat, Ike, who whines a lot and sheds a lot, and a Dream, which does not even qualify, at this point, as a Preview of Coming Attractions.
As a Postscript, please note that mrwaterslide's DREAM is becoming a REALITY.
- bagnoles.."old bangers" 63 photos, 17 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,047 photos, 245 members
- Ornamental Birdhouses & Feeders 800 photos, 254 members
- Cottage Souvenirs 647 photos, 109 members
- Pteridomania 107 photos, 33 members
- Vintage Ventriloquism 275 photos, 331 members
- Kodachrome 30,926 photos, 2,227 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 158 photos, 32 members
- The WORLD WAR II 1,991 photos, 449 members
- World War II and Warbirds 1,647 photos, 229 members
- Licking County Ohio 725 photos, 40 members
- Photography in Interbellum and World War II Hungary 456 photos, 61 members
- Vintage Christmas Photographs 724 photos, 94 members
- Vintage South Dakota 893 photos, 128 members
- Vintage Fun 770 photos, 52 members
- The Victorian Father 134 photos, 41 members
- Early Photographs of Children with Flowers 322 photos, 133 members
- Vintage Suburbia 110 photos, 24 members
- The Interloping Dog 348 photos, 80 members
- Designing Tomorrow (World's Fairs from 1933-1940) 486 photos, 66 members
- DUCKFACE 37 photos, 14 members
- The Splot: Bad Coloring in Early Photographs 91 photos, 25 members
- Photography in Interbellum Germany 154 photos, 46 members
- Polyfoto 35 photos, 16 members
- 2's company 3,109 photos, 49 members
- Post 1 leave 3 passive aggressive comments, notes, or tags 8,853 photos, 831 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 40,545 photos, 372 members
- Victorian Beauty 3,785 photos, 274 members
- Vintage Unhappy Couples 0 photos, 6 members
- Early Photography in Germany 3,342 photos, 91 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 4,703 photos, 279 members
- Female Faces 30,398 photos, 4,780 members
- League of the Empty Chair (interestingly Out Of Place) 14,091 photos, 12,655 members
- Concord and Cabarrus County NC 361 photos, 17 members
- Vintage Holiday Greetings Postcards 6,941 photos, 377 members
- Vintage Sleeping People 59 photos, 34 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,937 members
- How Soon We Forget! 2,854 photos, 437 members
- Vintage Show Us A Little Leg 58 photos, 53 members
- Nineteenth Century Ambrotypes 768 photos, 88 members
- fifties fashions 2,518 photos, 655 members
- allthishappiness Deserves To Win! 47 photos, 41 members
- 1960s 12,107 photos, 1,132 members
- Nineteenth Century Mourning Photos, Objects, Ephemera, and Art 1,557 photos, 200 members
- The Florida Suntan Girl group 0 photos, 2 members
- 19th century rural Americans 1,080 photos, 73 members
- Early Photography in the Habsburg Empire and Austria-Hungary 4,035 photos, 159 members
- The Vintage Man 5,820 photos, 314 members
- ~ Vintage Love ~ Love captured 3,550 photos, 196 members
- we're the people 5,950 photos, 64 members
"mrwaterslide is a one-man plague of locusts..."
21st June, 2011
"Mr Waterslide is the best kind of collector - one with taste."
26th December, 2010
"Mrwaterslide's photostream should be considered an essential Flickr staple. There are just simply no amount of superlatives that can express in words the level of visual and cognitive interest inspired by his vast collection, meticulous documentation, and witty, compelling, self-revealing commentary. Mrwaterslide is a true original - he sets the standard for other collectors to follow here on Flickr. I am continually inspired by the degree of his passion for vernacular photography, impressed by his discerning eye for the unexpected and the artistic, and intrigued by his unparalleled talent for describing these images in a way that adds further depth, dimension, and insight into this already stunning visual world that he has created."
28th February, 2009
Antique Dog Photos says:
"My wonderful "bro." I hope you will seriously peruse and enjoy his comments as much as his pictures. Thanks for sharing."
12th August, 2007
"your collection is outstanding! thanx for taking the time to post the pictures on the web. i've enjoyed it immensely ;)
can't wait to see more!"
7th February, 2006
""The quality in mrwaterslide's selection and presentation is an obvious reflection of his talent".
Someone who cares about these images the way he does is a rarity and a treasure.
I look forward to viewing his photostream and reading his comments every day."
1st February, 2006
Kate O'Brien Creative says:
"Beautiful Photostream. Nothing I love more than seeing faces from the past, especially when they are so meticulously documented."
18th January, 2006
- John Van Noate
- October 2005
- Cambridge, Ohio
- Concord, North Carolina, United States
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Environmental Activist