Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Sky Islands 1,789 photos, 46 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 369 photos, 43 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 153 photos, 8 members
- SOG Knives 394 photos, 160 members
- CCC Architecture 1,175 photos, 116 members
- Simply Flowers (NO B&W): contest: Flower CENTER macro 40,979 photos, 2,683 members
- Glorious Skies 6,268 photos, 641 members
- Aesthetics of Food 57,628 photos, 1,504 members
- Food+Photography 5,261 photos, 230 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 49,170 photos, 1,757 members
- Food and Drink 27,591 photos, 910 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 1,739 photos, 186 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 19,596 photos, 2,736 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 8,012 photos, 1,318 members
- Zion National Park 8,961 photos, 1,264 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,527 photos, 278 members
- Jewish 2,782 photos, 260 members
- Your Very Best 31,713 photos, 1,375 members
- Salt Lake City 15,112 photos, 1,240 members
- Utah 47,481 photos, 2,631 members
- Project Weather 53,313 photos, 17,771 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 654 photos, 88 members
- San Francisco Peaks 180 photos, 5 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 7,846 photos, 1,465 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 1,638 photos, 107 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 223 photos, 19 members
- Vita-Mix Love 237 photos, 51 members
- Vitamix Creations 115 photos, 24 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 3 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 1,079 photos, 45 members
- Photographers' Rights. 237 photos, 3,604 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 1,386 photos, 108 members
- Native America 7,973 photos, 783 members
- Structural Artists 7,329 photos, 1,134 members
- USMC in Action 726 photos, 56 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,684 photos, 884 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 247 photos, 115 members
- All of Arizona Photography 4,127 photos, 78 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 21: Photo of the Day 2,726 photos, 199 members
- The Grand Canyon Railway 108 photos, 17 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 13,466 photos, 1,200 members
- Photographers Adventure Club 1,983 photos, 125 members
- Cities From Above 1,001 photos, 88 members
- Lightroom + Photoshop 29,423 photos, 2,230 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 17: Water 299 photos, 46 members
- Arizona Highways BONUS Flickr Challenge: Good Fences 81 photos, 41 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 9: Wildlife 563 photos, 58 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 11: Insects 274 photos, 47 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 8: Flowers 568 photos, 66 members
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
30th December, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
13th May, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
15th April, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor