Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Post 1 | Award 2 • 1,237 photos, 130 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 12,149 photos, 1,423 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 6,288 photos, 911 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 7,409 photos, 1,353 members
- Colorado! 95,082 photos, 4,933 members
- Sky Islands 2,034 photos, 50 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 357 photos, 44 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 179 photos, 11 members
- SOG Knives 402 photos, 173 members
- CCC Architecture 1,310 photos, 120 members
- Simply Flowers (NO B&W): contest = SPOTTED PETALS 46,703 photos, 2,778 members
- Glorious Skies 7,524 photos, 651 members
- Aesthetics of Food 64,945 photos, 1,620 members
- Food+Photography 6,876 photos, 264 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 54,279 photos, 1,827 members
- Food and Drink 29,173 photos, 930 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 2,491 photos, 227 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 21,105 photos, 2,754 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 9,000 photos, 1,416 members
- Zion National Park 9,757 photos, 1,331 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,657 photos, 291 members
- Jewish 3,301 photos, 287 members
- Your Very Best 37,433 photos, 1,505 members
- Salt Lake City 15,723 photos, 1,288 members
- Utah 52,215 photos, 2,889 members
- Project Weather 144,282 photos, 37,014 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 706 photos, 91 members
- San Francisco Peaks 845 photos, 6 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 8,060 photos, 1,526 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 1,999 photos, 124 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 455 photos, 20 members
- Vita-Mix Love 239 photos, 55 members
- Vitamix Creations 116 photos, 26 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 3 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 1,196 photos, 46 members
- Photographers' Rights. 240 photos, 3,597 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 1,706 photos, 126 members
- Native America 8,105 photos, 790 members
- Structural Artists 7,610 photos, 1,142 members
- USMC in Action 746 photos, 69 members
- Books, Books, Books 4,448 photos, 895 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 5 members
- Trails.com 281 photos, 119 members
- All of Arizona Photography 4,752 photos, 82 members
- Arizona Highways Flickr Challenge 21: Photo of the Day 2,995 photos, 216 members
- The Grand Canyon Railway 142 photos, 20 members
- Backpacking and Hiking pictures 16,663 photos, 1,219 members
- Photographers Adventure Club 2,289 photos, 149 members
- Cities From Above 996 photos, 93 members
- Lightroom + Photoshop 32,645 photos, 2,322 members
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
30th December, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
13th May, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
15th April, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor