Independent | photographer | visual artist | dreamer, based in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
For a decade, I worked for large Brazilian magazines and newspapers as an art director and designer. Since 2005 I've been concentrating my activities in the production of photography, mostly documentary and travel. I've been specialized in in-depth documentary projects that investigate the development of a visual language that enhances the social/human development, prioritizing my work with NGOs, Foundations, Institutes and Universities, on cultural and educational areas.
[ Some NGOs and other non-profit organizations have been requesting that I license use of my photos to them free of charge, as my body of work has a very strong focus on social issues. Photography is my vocation and NGOs are mostly of my clients, so please, don't ask me free photos.]
Apologies for delayed messages, lost emails, some absence, and not adding all contacts I wished to able to add and manage.
FOR PUBLICATION, please, contact me at:
Copyright © Tatiana Cardeal. All rights reserved.
Tatiana Cardeal © Todos os direitos reservados.
Para a autorização de reproduções e publicações,
entre em contato pelo email
Current Location: —via Lightstalkers
BLOG: Brazil Social Photography
Interviews | Entrevistas:
• DVeras em Rede: Castelo dos Sonhos: entrevista
• PLATEFORM Magazine: Amazon with Health and Happiness
• FlickrBlog: 5 perguntas
• The Argentimes
• Global Voices
• Amnesty International - UK / Austria / USA
• Annabelle Magazine, Switzerland
• Arizona State University Foundation - USA
• Bulletin Magazine - Credit Suisse
• Childhood - World Children Foundation Brazil
• Courrier International Magazine - France
• Deutsche Welle - Germany
• European Alliance Against Malaria - Europe
• Fundación AVINA
• Forum Syd - NET - Sweden
• Fundação Vitor Civita - Revista Nova Escola - Brazil
• Greenleaf Publishing - UK
• Institute of Development Studies - UK
• International Network for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights NET - USA
• Instituto Observatório Social - Brazil
• Max Magazine - Germany
• National Geographic Channel - USA
• New Internationalist Magazine - UK/ Canada/ Australia
• Oxfam International
• Pathways of Women's Empowerment - UK
• Plenty Magazine - USA / Canada
• Popular Photography Magazine - USA
• PRIO - International Peace Research Institute Oslo - Norway
• Secretaria Especial dos Direitos Humanos - Brazil
• Socialist Worker Newspaper - Australia
• The Big Issue Magazine - Scotland
• The Independent Newspaper - UK
• The Sunday Times UK
• Thompson Rivers University - Canada
• Tomorrow Magazine - Germany
• UNIDIR - United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research - Switzerland
• WIENERIN Magazine - Austria
• World Development Movement Action Magazine - England/Scotland
• World Pulse Magazine - USA
• World Resources Institute - USA
• WOZ Newspaper, Switzerland
• YES! Magazine, USA
Partners, that I've been happy to contribute:
• CARF - Children At Risk Foundation - Brazil / Norway
• ISA -Instituto Socioambiental - Brazil
• Movimento Nossa São Paulo - Brazil
• Revista Viração - Brazil
More detailed publications
• Formed Bachelor in Visual Arts by the Belas Artes University of Sao Paulo
• A year and a half studding Interactive Media Mass as post graduation at Senac - Sao Paulo.
Prizes and eminences:
• Silver Medal - International Photo Biennial “TashkentAle – 2010” - Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
• Humanity Photo Documentary Awards winner 2009, in China - organized by UNESCO.
• Brazilian 31º Vladimir Herzog Journalistic Award of Amnesty and Human Rights - Honorable Mention Prize
• Nominated for the National Geographic All Roads Photography Award.
• Brazilian 25th edition of the Human Rights Award for Journalism.
2007 • Nominated for the National Geographic All Roads Photography Award.
• 2nd place (Portrait Blogs) - The Best of the Journalism 2006
Web Site Winners NPPA (National Press Photographers Association)
• 2nd place (Festival and Event Blogs) - The Best of the Journalism 2006
Web Site Winners - NPPA (National Press Photographers Association)
2005 •The Flickys People's Choice Award for Excellence in Photojournalism Photography - 2005.
2004 • XXIX Prêmio Abril de Jornalismo - 2004 (best education reportage - art direction)
2003 • Prêmio Esso de Jornalismo - 2003 (best graphic creation in magazines)
2002 • XXVIII Prêmio Abril de Jornalismo - 2002 (best produced reportage in photography)
2000 • XXVI Prêmio Abril de Jornalismo - 2000 (best photography edition)
If you don't know CARF - Children at Risk Foundation yet, you may like visit this project. What I've seen there, during these last years of visits are shared at this collection
of sets: CARF
> I support a precious friend Langfia Ayeona
to develop the Indigenous /Tribal Pool
>some of my Explore pictures at Flickr, by Isaias.
I must thank you all, the encouragement I've had here, from all of you.
- Experimenting with Slow Shutter Speed 4,848 photos, 667 members
- Amazônia belongs to its inhabitants 1,616 photos, 137 members
- in loving memory of imapix 132 photos, 153 members
- Chinese 177,439 photos, 12,596 members
- Cinematic Shots 42,339 photos, 2,080 members
- Chinese Ancient Towns 5,126 photos, 359 members
- MirrorProject @Flickr - self-portraits in mirrored surfaces ONLY 25,441 photos, 6,477 members
- Humanistic 8,093 photos, 2,014 members
- Faces of China 4,845 photos, 259 members
- Beautiful China 166,802 photos, 5,124 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 95,381 photos, 5,027 members
- Powerful Portraits 85,806 photos, 4,041 members
- Travel portraits of local people (geotagged) 53,180 photos, 3,602 members
- travel journalist 4,107 photos, 330 members
- China 160,337 photos, 5,847 members
- SOS Haiti 1,573 photos, 368 members
- Urban Asia 172,822 photos, 5,568 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 156,262 photos, 7,459 members
- China Images 118,797 photos, 3,838 members
- China Rural 3,909 photos, 189 members
- GuangDong - China 5,735 photos, 430 members
- WANE Magazine 868 photos, 1,185 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,487 photos, 276 members
- ! **Quiet (not people) 63,217 photos, 3,776 members
- SP Photo Fest 2,020 photos, 787 members
- 7 seconds.War,Peace and Disaster 3,853 photos, 1,252 members
- Imagens da Terra / Images of Earth / Images de la Terre 11,008 photos, 518 members
- Imagens do Povo / Images of the People / Bilder von der Leute 15,076 photos, 632 members
- Native Voices 3,232 photos, 192 members
- Folklore, etnography - Фольклор, этнография 1,490 photos, 62 members
- South and Latin American Indians 5,077 photos, 735 members
- FILE - Photography and Graphic Design search. 21,971 photos, 2,555 members
- Distrito de São Francisco Xavier 49 photos, 12 members
- Refugee Youth 3,058 photos, 718 members
- Refugee Women 1,670 photos, 570 members
- Markets of the world 30,612 photos, 3,579 members
- Traditional World's Costumes 6,401 photos, 796 members
- Favorites: 200 1,878 photos, 1,264 members
- Favorites: 250 768 photos, 473 members
- Cloud Junkie 275,436 photos, 25,022 members
- Flickr members against free photos 390 photos, 200 members
- >INSPIRE Collective 127,453 photos, 4,429 members
- Mestre Carlos Moreira 503 photos, 31 members
- Cultura Indígena - Indigenous Cultures 5,052 photos, 573 members
- International NGOs 5,976 photos, 502 members
- Documentary Portraiture 15,706 photos, 1,611 members
- 500 Favourites 277 photos, 89 members
- 500 favorites and more 350 photos, 734 members
- One Water 770 photos, 208 members
- FotoSur: Fotografia Documental Latinoamericana 14,747 photos, 689 members
"Tatiana is flickr's Dorothea Lange."
30th October, 2008
"tati she whoop ass"
5th November, 2007
Protection Island says:
"Tatiana shows a faboulous perspective od Brazil with stunnig images, I will have to visit Brazil after seeing these great images."
20th May, 2007
Alice Alim Oh says:
"Her photos are not only inspiratonal, but it's significant. Because it's one thing to be aware of the things that are happening arond the world. But it's quite another when an individual makes such a commitment and passion behind each and every project. I'm simply speechless for words... Wow. :-)"
25th December, 2006
I can recalled that she is one of my 1st contact in flickr.
With her works published in major photos publications. I need not further to say ...
That is No word!!
Thank you for loving kindness & sharing with the net community.
You are great......."
15th December, 2006
-= Hobo =- says:
"I don't think Tatiana needs any testimonial... her photos talk clearly about her eye and her sensitiveness.
Her work is a rare jewel in a world where the awareness is often considered like heresy. She shows us "the real thing", without bubbles."
9th December, 2006
"Tati Cardeal lectures her viewers into life, color, dignity, pride and freedom.
Her voice travels with dreams, her words amplify life and her vision touch the most intimate fabric of our hearts.
It may be for her true human nature of profound sense of community but It's not very complicated to see love written all over Tati's work.
Portraits filled with life, sensibility and truth, possible the same attributes that she reflects when she is taking them.
Welcome to Tatiana's world."
18th September, 2006
"Tatiana is one of the first few people that I met here in flickr. A great set of eyes. I always get inspired to go to Brasil to take pictures because of Tatiana's work :) Keep it up Tati!"
6th September, 2006
"i have only one word to describe tati's talent...AWESOME!!!"
1st September, 2006
"Tatiana is another Shakespeare of our time, a poet's endless rhyme.
She inspires me and I am sure so many others. Her honesty and artistry is engaging. Tatiana has touched my soul.To put it plain and simple she is wonderful!!"
22nd August, 2006
praqueles que se preocupam com o outro,
que amam a fotografia,
que enxergam a poesia além das imagens,
é uma referência obrigatória.
Vai além da técnica, da luz
porque nos envolve
numa mescla de emoção e sentimento,
coração e luta por mundo maishumano e solidário.
É muito bom saber que vc existe amiga.
Felicidades eternas. Pra vc, sua família e amigos.
Don´t give up. E conte conosco.
Minha admiração e carinho.
28th July, 2006
Nicola Okin Frioli says:
"Tatiana was my first contact in this flickr world, and now, she continues to be my favorite contact.. She have 3 beautiful gifts recive by the life: "Good eyes", the rigth sensitive for the people, and a great dedication to her work/passion.. She will be Great.. >Okin"
8th July, 2006
✪ Zuan says:
"Tatiana show us her soul with photos depicting their confrontation with human rights issues around the world, the everyday struggle to survive, Henri Cartier-Bresson wrote that great photographs come about in that fraction of a second when the head, heart and eye find perfect alignment in an axis of the spirit, Tatiana has this gift.
The photos of Tatiana reveal the precision of her vision, the breadth of her mind and imagination, the reach of her spirit and most important of all, the size of her heart, as expansive and all embracing as the Brazil she love so dearly."
4th July, 2006
pierre pouliquin says:
"Tatiana…I don’t know her personally…but I wish to clone her!!!
Just kidding of course, well she is one of those too rare people who, by her example give us good reasons to keep hope; to believe in us, the humans. And that passes through her great pictures, her subjects, her perspective, her words, perseverance, opened mind and kindness…well…long life Tati!!!"
4th July, 2006
"Tatiana eh uma pessoa que me comoveu atraves do trabalho maginifico que possui. Ao longo do tempo eu fui dando conta de que o trabalho desta super pessoa tem muito a ver com o sentimento do coracao. Uma pessoa que busca no fundo o valor da imagem que mostrando. Um trabalho nao so de vivencia mais de intrucao ao ser humano.
Continue assim minha flor. Seu trabalho eh divinamente importante para o sociedade do mundo. Me orgulho em poder escrever estas palavras para vc. Com carinho sempre."
24th June, 2006
"Tatiana looks at Brazil's soul and captures it like few others do.
In my opinion, her commitment to portrait the many different faces of our country is a unique and a rare labor of love.
Each photo is both a work of art and a display of our culture.
Tatiana is a fantastic Human Being."
18th May, 2006
Anna Rigato says:
"Tatiana is a heart with legs and arms ;) She's a very sweet person that I had the pleasure to meet in the midle of a march against Bush in São Paulo. All her beautiful work is made with passion and strength, as you can see in her photostream.
Thank you, Tati.
3rd May, 2006
"i love Tatiana's work. i especially love how the compassion of her vision is expressed through her imagery. she champions the lives of the less fortunate. she uses her camera to show their living conditions. but she does not do so in an exploitive way. her work is respectful. it honors the people that it is about.
her work is activist art. her work is art that comes directly from the heart. although her images are often made in the service of journalism, to spread the word, the work is also strong on artistic terms. when looking at the work it is immediately apparent that her visual skills are quite refined. her compositions are strong, as is her sense of light and color.
but most importantly, when i see her images i am moved. to me photography is primarily about expressivity, about one's ability to express and convey one's own vision and one's own feelings about one's surroundings and about the world in general. Tatiana's work expresses itself directly and beautifully."
13th April, 2006
"Some people are born, live, and die, and exit the world without leaving a trace. Others can whirl through a room and irrevocably alter the lives of everyone in it. Tatiana is the second kind. Her eye shows the humanity in every subject she points her lens at. There are few photojournalists or portrait artists of her caliber in the world today. She is my biggest inspiration and a good friend."
30th March, 2006
"every picture here reveals a big part of humanity.
it is not only about light, it is about life shares, and I do love these pictures for the soul they bring."
21st February, 2006
"I had the good fortune to be welcomed to Flickr with a typically generous comment from Tatiana. I quickly realised that here was a natural photographer with a capacity to reach deeper than other people, with a capacity to inspire. Tatiana remains my favourite photographer on Flickr."
11th February, 2006
"O trabalho de Tatiana Cardeal extrapola o mero sentido de arte fotográfica. É arte da alma. É a capacidade quase mágica de revelar jóias étnicas e humanas através de uma lente. Eu sou devoto de Tatiana Cardeal desde a primeira foto. Obrigado, Tatiana, pela beleza, humanidade e poesia com que suas fotos nos alimentam.
The works of Tatiana Cardeal go far beyond of the simple sense of photographic art. It´s pure art of the soul. It´s quite the magical capacity of revealing jewells of ethnical and human feelings through a lens. I am devotee to Tatiana Cardeal since the first pic from hers that I saw. Thank you, Tatiana, for feeding us day after day with the Beauty, Humanity and Poetry of your wonderful pics."
7th February, 2006
B I R D says:
Your lens probes
hidden in the
it is unblinking
and carrys with it
that cannot be faked
or frozen in time
your work is vital
please keep on snapping
copyright 2005 Frederick D. Perry, All Rights Reserved"
25th October, 2005
Hugo Provoste says:
"her wonderful way to see the life with her camera shows to us how wonderful is this world that exist in front of our eyes.
her tallent and creativity create incredible atmospheres, but the most beautiful thing it is that when one sees her work, one gives account that this reality we could found it daily in our lives and hearts.
never forget that your work gives back to us the beauty to enjoy the beauty of the simple things."
11th October, 2005
"Look at her ! this great but modest person, a person to learn from ! She certainly made me examine more carfuly the way I judge people and what they do.
Thanks Tati :)"
8th October, 2005
Anas Bukhash (nascity) says:
"Well what can i say...when i joined flickr...Tatiana was one of the 1st people who really inspired me with her photos and beleive me this effect is still on-going...straight away she fell into my favourite photographers list...(this list is somewhere in my brain so sorry i can't share it with you Tatiana =P)...anyways i love taking people's photos...and you are one of the best here on flickr "by far"..."
22nd September, 2005
"Tatiana´s photography not only makes me proud to be a Brazilian but also ashamed at the large social disparity of our continent. She inspires me like few others on Flickr can to continue taking photos and hope that one day I can be a photojournalist or photographer.
Her presence here on Flickr is truly unique and all are better for her talent, perserverence, and photographic excellence!
Obrigado pela toda beleza que suas fotos me demonstrou..."
11th September, 2005
mick y says:
"I really admire the dedication that Tatiana brings to her craft.
I believe your work can really help the preservation and development of the cultures that you so eloquently capture."
4th September, 2005
"Tatiana is not only an excellent photographer, she is a social historian and her images portray the world as it is rather that the way some of us in the "western (affluent) world", think it is!"
30th August, 2005
"The world is beautiful through Tatiana's lens."
25th August, 2005
"Tatiana's camera can see peoples soul.
P.S. And she loves 'The Beatles'."
17th June, 2005
"first of all, tatiana has a great name. I like to over-articulate so it cuts the air sharply. She's been an inspiration to me and brings a warmth into her photos that speaks of wisdom and maturity beyond the norm. Each photograph tells a story and eloquently at that. She approaches her subject with a beautiful sensitivity. She is wonderfully supportive and a great person overall :) bravo"
12th June, 2005
"There's not a body of work I admire more than that of Tatiana Cardeal. Her photos truly reflect the very heart and soul of a people. She captures the spirit of their cutlure with such unique and vivid photography that you feel like you are there with them. Thank you, Tatiana, for taking me into your world!"
3rd May, 2005
"I know how hard it must be trying to go against the tides in Brazil, where the tides are so powerful that few have the courage to face them and then stand up again and face them time and time again. Tatiana has that courage and it shows in just about every single image she chooses to share with us on Flickr. The comments speak for themselves.
Tati’s dignified and loyal attempts to constantly unite the two separate worlds of Brazil are often beautifully illustrated through the magnificence of her talented and artistically observing eyes. She is truly an artist and her subject matters respect her art as if it were their very own. In reality they are lending her something very personal and very precious, a present that so very few photographers are honoured to receive, they are lending her their souls and there is no better image on Flickr that illustrates this fact other than Cacique Nambikwara"
23rd April, 2005
Danilo Carriglio says:
"Everyone can find in the photostream of Tatiana a lot of good reasons to think that she is "over"....
Over with its eyeview, technique, composition, taste of colours but, above all, with its solid ability to communicate, to tell a story..
Only few others photographers in flickr give me a stream so natural of impressions-emotions-reflections like Tatiana Cardeal...
Each time, seeing a new shot of her, i can discover the powerful meaning of word "art"...
Interfacing with these photos is like an open road toward a far land, with own reality, problems, people, rituals. It give me a great opportunity to appreciate a new cultural experience."
23rd April, 2005
"Probably one of the best and most important photostreams in flickr. Tatiana takes you to her corner of the world and shows you it in all its beauty and ugliness, the good and the bad.
I come here to see beautiful photographs, wonderful warm portraits, and to learn, and to think, and to feel."
21st April, 2005
"‘Tatiana’, her name sounds so smart, lovely and inspiringly different. I got accustomed of her photos in the interesting Social Documentary Group pool and I was positively amazed. Until I finally had a total view of her very beautiful photostream. Knowing her gradually is a great pleasure.
Her page became my favourite but most her best personality, how she show us the images with pure souls and spirits of people, events, issues, and cultures that captivated me very personally. Tati has the soul and beauty, her concerns over issues of humanity guided me to see another perfect evidence of our true existence.
I believe that knowing her page is not only of inspiring photos, but I was blessed with a friend, a sister with great talent & inspiring vision. Her photos are continuous documents, as her soul live, her bright core disposition subsist like a watchful hummingbird.
Long live, hum the drums dear Tati!."
20th March, 2005
"Tatiana frequently chooses to document social issues and it is then that her already great talent is elevated higher still by the deep empathy she clearly feels for the people she photographs. Her images spill over with the joy of living and the beauty of the people of her native Brazil. Her photography isn't just great, it's important."
21st February, 2005
"Tatiana has an incredible ability to capture people and their most personal expressions. This can be seen time and time again in her photographs. Incredible images of beautiful people in beautiful places."
11th February, 2005
"All artistic disciplines consist of technique, and passion. Tatiana joyously masters the two, and the result is glorious. Her pictures chant about the love and respect she has for her fellow human beings."
6th February, 2005
- Tatiana Cardeal
- November 2004
- Sao Paulo
- Sao Paulo, Brasil
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Tatiana Cardeal | Photography