(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. I am one of the three councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and the minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has over 4000 homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
I was asked about the expenses and allowance I get as an elected local councillor.
Like every Haringey councillor I receive a basic annual allowance (From May 2010 it's £10,500 p.a.) I do not receive an additional Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA).
Please click here to read or download my Registration of Members' Interests and the list of all Gifts and Hospitality received since I was first elected to the Council in May 1998. (Up-to-date May 2011.) I have not claimed for any expenses.
Photos of Alan Stanton (4)
- Primrose Hill 353 photos, 74 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 4,704 photos, 533 members
- The Shard 499 photos, 91 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 2,063 photos, 360 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 241 photos, 42 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 5,129 photos, 840 members
- We Love Street Art 96,619 photos, 1,990 members
- Street Art London 35,885 photos, 1,360 members
- Street Art on Flickr 283,372 photos, 4,953 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 43,797 photos, 2,448 members
- Snow in my 'hood 4,087 photos, 345 members
- Rickmansworth 1,140 photos, 80 members
- March for a future that works - 20 October 366 photos, 9 members
- London Sculptures 3,053 photos, 157 members
- shaft of light 53 photos, 13 members
- abandoned toys 137 photos, 37 members
- Diamond Jubilee 2012 London 882 photos, 155 members
- Public Art In Belgium 2,422 photos, 154 members
- Blue Room 7,288 photos, 646 members
- Stroud Green 178 photos, 43 members
- Busking 1,408 photos, 198 members
- Images of the village 6,401 photos, 335 members
- Barnet & Enfield 4,606 photos, 222 members
- ugly architecture 2,148 photos, 319 members
- I can see the Shard from here 675 photos, 93 members
- Occupy London 2,194 photos, 173 members
- My Muswell 50 photos, 15 members
- London Shops 5,065 photos, 505 members
- War Memorials 24,245 photos, 1,894 members
- Filmers of the Filming 1,267 photos, 191 members
- Just walking 23,650 photos, 1,498 members
- Local Government Does Brilliant Things 981 photos, 74 members
- Wood Work 2,949 photos, 565 members
- Spelling & Grammar Errors 2,139 photos, 346 members
- Cemetery UK (not churchyards) 9,789 photos, 527 members
- Go! Post-it! 642 photos, 251 members
- London and UK riots 2,282 photos, 319 members
- Rivers 61,961 photos, 5,478 members
- Antwerp Central Station 1,363 photos, 186 members
- Bus UK: Buses and Pubs 799 photos, 203 members
- UK Post Offices, Past and Present 3,495 photos, 88 members
- Cambridgeshire 12,946 photos, 698 members
- Southbank Centre Festival of Britain 312 photos, 47 members
- Geotagged : War Memorials 2,728 photos, 102 members
- Haringey Blossom 87 photos, 12 members
- Cuts protest in London, 26 March 2011 1,166 photos, 117 members
- British Protests & Demonstrations 19,033 photos, 1,054 members
- Global Photojournalism; Politics, News, Protest, and Culture 231,671 photos, 16,407 members
- March for the Alternative 3,187 photos, 171 members
- Labour Party 639 photos, 76 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
21st April, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken