A lifelong native of the Southwest Missouri Ozarks, I grew up traversing the wooded hills and hollers, developing a love of nature, color and the great outdoors. Seems like I was always interested in art and photography, always drawing and taking photos with instant cameras from a young age, graduating in later years to other media such as pen-and-ink, charcoal, watercolors and oils, along with professional imaging equipment of all kinds. I have worked for many years as a graphic artist, first working by hand and later with software. I currently use Canon professional digital camera equipment and use various types of software for image enhancement. A friend recently gave me a graphics tablet for my birthday and I love using it to edit my photos!
My current interest is old buildings, churches, schools, country stores, old homes and old vehicles, and especially nature. I love driving the rural roads looking for interesting subjects. I would like to do more macro photography and people photos.
My processing secrets: There are no secrets! Most of the old building images are 5 exposure HDR processed photos. After the HDR processing, the most important adjustment I use is the Curves adjustment in PS. Yes, I do use Photoshop, and I have done so since about version 5, about 15+ years ago. Photoshop is just another tool for photo editing, just like a camera is a tool to take photos, and a paint brush is a tool to make paintings. I often spend hours working on a photo and the processing part is just as much fun for me as getting out with my camera equipment and taking photos.
All images found in my photostream on flickr are copyrighted works created solely by me with all rights reserved. You may not download and use these images without my express permission FIRST. I often allow use to those who ask first. I do pursue those who violate my copyrights.
View my photos in order of interestingness.
Photos of Uncle Phooey (3)
- Forgotten Missouri 1,619 photos, 172 members
- EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses 58,510 photos, 4,087 members
- Bugs on pixels / Makros und Nahaufnahmen / Macros and Close Ups 24,310 photos, 1,994 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,155 photos, 299 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 2,444,889 photos, 125,239 members
- Geotagged: Missouri 5,343 photos, 99 members
- Ozark Springs 141 photos, 35 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,514 members
- Black and White 4,982,929 photos, 245,678 members
- panoramas 215,592 photos, 26,407 members
- Golden Garden 29,807 photos, 1,253 members
- Explore the donkey 149 photos, 51 members
- *Karma* 727,453 photos, 15,913 members
- ...-Wink's Place-... 206,253 photos, 3,561 members
- MDC Reader Photos 2,458 photos, 215 members
- MACROLICIOUS GROUP 54,381 photos, 3,204 members
- Flower Macros (Post 1 / Invite 1) 2,708 photos, 400 members
- Missouri Native Plants 1,407 photos, 98 members
- World Masterpiece Award " Win Pro Account - NEW EASY RULES" 46,025 photos, 4,779 members
- HBW (bringing the blurry since '08) 19,856 photos, 2,397 members
- Happy Flowery Friday!!--Everyday~~~ 13,085 photos, 1,012 members
- Mountain Decay (and Flatland Rot) 198 photos, 34 members
- NatureLovers 51,899 photos, 3,656 members
- Silhouette Photography 32,284 photos, 5,228 members
- Explore Front Page (Please read Group Rules before posting) 939 photos, 593 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 17,180 photos, 2,825 members
- 100+ COMMENT GROUP **(P1/A2) 35,697 photos, 4,104 members
- Top 20 Birds 25,113 photos, 862 members
- Cardinals..Our favorite Red Bird! 1,393 photos, 308 members
- Beauty of Nature 156,603 photos, 3,297 members
- Bird Lovers 149,370 photos, 3,256 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 5,128 photos, 310 members
- Missouri Photographers 38,322 photos, 895 members
- Missouri 46,666 photos, 1,198 members
- AdoBe Photoshop (CS3, CS4 and CS5) Official ™ 11,993 photos, 1,703 members
- Spider-ville 15,335 photos, 3,052 members
- MOVING trains --READ THE RULES 113,402 photos, 3,375 members
- BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe 16,854 photos, 599 members
- Rot Squad 26,413 photos, 1,484 members
- The Spider Web 40,964 photos, 9,483 members
- Realistic HDR Images 17,654 photos, 5,635 members
- Quality HDR 226,876 photos, 12,229 members
- HDR 831,356 photos, 87,804 members
- unseen face's 153 photos, 121 members
- Fractals 'n Flames 1,421 photos, 88 members
- The DaVinci Touch - Extraordinary Photos 15,112 photos, 1,311 members
- Gas and Steam Engines 10,019 photos, 384 members
- Rural Arkansas 6,305 photos, 209 members
- Arkansas 33,087 photos, 1,211 members
- Wildflowers 71,139 photos, 3,681 members
Allen Gathman says:
"Uncle Phooey has an unerring eye for landscapes natural and man-made. His loving portraits of old rural structures bring their stories back to life."
12th October, 2008
Falcon EyE says:
"I met Jerry lately on flickr and soon he became a dear friend!!! his caring personality and sharp perspective reveals how great artistic skills he has...I got many "best" comments from him ! happy to have your friendship Jerry and keep up the good stuff my friend"
13th September, 2008
Patrick Henson says:
"Jerry has got to be in the top three all time favorites for me on Flickr. His style is unique and truely artistic. He and I share a love of old abandoned places, so it's not hard for me to relate to his work. Also, he has the best, most descriptive comments, it's always great to hear from him. Keep up the great work, Jerry."
27th April, 2008
"Jerry is the most supportive of flickr friends and I count the day he visited my site as a very happy one. Jerry has undertaken the enormous task of documenting the history of rural American life. To see his work is to understand the past as it weathers in remote areas, reminders of what seemed a quieter and gentler time. He brings his ‘ghosts’ to life with such beauty, tenderness and imagination that we fall in love with history all over again and wish for a time capsule. I hope that at some stage someone will pick up on this fine work and turn it into a book. The kindest and gentlest of gentlemen, I am so proud to know you."
18th December, 2007
- Jerry E Shelton
- February 2006
- Mansfield Missouri
- Seymour Missouri, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Computer / Network Tech