I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 7,106 photos, 1,567 members
- HDR & Orton 5,731 photos, 345 members
- Orton 25,045 photos, 4,458 members
- Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm 524 photos, 46 members
- Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR 71,889 photos, 3,464 members
- Your Best Shot Nikon D5100 6,539 photos, 379 members
- Nikon D 5100 9,957 photos, 328 members
- Nikon D5100 Users 8,736 photos, 335 members
- Nikon D5100: North American Shooters 3,904 photos, 511 members
- Nikon D5100 best picture 3,279 photos, 170 members
- Nikon D5100! 10,691 photos, 491 members
- Nikon D5100 250,959 photos, 10,144 members
- Nikon D5100 - Your best Pics 37,117 photos, 3,404 members
- NIKON D5100 - Official group. 48,304 photos, 2,932 members
- SCCA Racing Photos 3,406 photos, 166 members
- Visit Austin Texas 1,876 photos, 189 members
- Austin 80,090 photos, 4,392 members
- Texas 140,136 photos, 5,531 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM WildLife Only 1,562 photos, 75 members
- Beatrice Photo Collaboration 83 photos, 9 members
- artland 553,203 photos, 29,676 members
- Air Shows 167,926 photos, 6,119 members
- Air Show Photos 13,625 photos, 446 members
- Marshall County Kansas 168 photos, 7 members
- Roller Derby 38,368 photos, 3,974 members
- DM's Lair 11,315 photos, 579 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,614,243 photos, 222,774 members
- **Nature Only** 100%Nature ~ NO People / NO Building (Award1) 12,106 photos, 478 members
- Natural Nebraska 3,734 photos, 109 members
- Good Photos - Good Views 10,394 photos, 131 members
- National Geographic Group 224,744 photos, 11,413 members
- Women's College Volleyball 2,252 photos, 600 members
- Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro 2,587 photos, 147 members
- SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro) 12,120 photos, 1,473 members
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens 1,622 photos, 156 members
- Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX 38,013 photos, 2,501 members
- You made my day 72,510 photos, 2,217 members
- FotoVotr 15,527 photos, 1,419 members
- I Rock A Nikon! 37,532 photos, 430 members
- South Dakota 18,673 photos, 981 members
- Badlands National Park 1,746 photos, 210 members
- Badlands 4,998 photos, 401 members
- South Dakota Parks - National, State, County and City Parks 2,071 photos, 215 members
- **The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota** 3,464 photos, 265 members
- The Black Hills of South Dakota 4,584 photos, 421 members
- National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites 33,719 photos, 1,671 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 12,240 photos, 576 members
- U.S. National Parks and Places 105,083 photos, 6,298 members
- U.S. National Parks 128,575 photos, 12,500 members
- Yellowstone Vacation Photos 6,369 photos, 596 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
23rd December, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
22nd January, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
30th September, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken