I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
January 2014 update:
Just before Christmas (2013) I bought a Nikon D7000 as an update to my old trusty D90. It came with an 18-140mm, so I gifted my D90 and the 18-105mm I had on my wife's D5100 and put the 18-140mm on her camera. So far I am real happy with the D7000, which I will normally (probably always) have my old Sigma 150-500mm lens.
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 328,317 photos, 17,955 members
- NationalEagleCenter 5,080 photos, 369 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 507,279 photos, 24,489 members
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 7,145 photos, 1,565 members
- HDR & Orton 5,772 photos, 347 members
- Orton 25,171 photos, 4,454 members
- Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm 615 photos, 52 members
- Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR 75,337 photos, 3,580 members
- Your Best Shot Nikon D5100 7,495 photos, 407 members
- Nikon D 5100 11,150 photos, 361 members
- Nikon D5100 Users 10,015 photos, 362 members
- Nikon D5100: North American Shooters 4,691 photos, 544 members
- Nikon D5100 best picture 4,574 photos, 214 members
- Nikon D5100! 13,826 photos, 611 members
- Nikon D5100 277,480 photos, 10,879 members
- Nikon D5100 - Your best Pics 37,298 photos, 3,545 members
- NIKON D5100 - Official group. 58,825 photos, 3,286 members
- SCCA Racing Photos 3,496 photos, 168 members
- Visit Austin Texas 2,021 photos, 192 members
- Austin 81,541 photos, 4,447 members
- Texas 144,050 photos, 5,597 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM WildLife Only 1,969 photos, 100 members
- Beatrice Photo Collaboration 83 photos, 9 members
- artland 588,146 photos, 30,401 members
- Air Shows 167,427 photos, 6,159 members
- Air Show Photos 14,673 photos, 461 members
- Marshall County Kansas 168 photos, 7 members
- Roller Derby 38,928 photos, 4,466 members
- DM's Lair 12,308 photos, 592 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,817,992 photos, 240,202 members
- **Nature Only** 100%Nature ~ NO People / NO Building (Award1) 12,986 photos, 492 members
- Natural Nebraska 3,789 photos, 108 members
- Good Photos - Good Views 10,836 photos, 133 members
- National Geographic Group 252,939 photos, 12,235 members
- Women's College Volleyball 2,233 photos, 619 members
- Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro 2,610 photos, 145 members
- SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro) 12,388 photos, 1,496 members
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens 1,662 photos, 160 members
- Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX 38,987 photos, 2,529 members
- You made my day 78,219 photos, 2,248 members
- FotoVotr 16,024 photos, 1,414 members
- I Rock A Nikon! 39,854 photos, 446 members
- South Dakota 18,850 photos, 991 members
- Badlands National Park 1,802 photos, 217 members
- Badlands 5,089 photos, 405 members
- South Dakota Parks - National, State, County and City Parks 2,118 photos, 221 members
- **The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota** 3,495 photos, 268 members
- The Black Hills of South Dakota 4,636 photos, 424 members
- National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites 35,558 photos, 1,713 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 12,725 photos, 594 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
23rd December, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
22nd January, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
30th September, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken