I am a photographer/scientist/poet who enjoys artistic pursuits (pinhole film photography, digital photography writing poetry, scratch-building large spaceship models, drawing) when I'm not working as a modeling/simulation software engineer. I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area, and my work history includes the Hubble Space Telescope project (for 13 years), the James Webb Space Telescope (for 5 years), and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (for 8 years).
My cameras include large format and medium format film pinhole and zone plate cameras, a Crown Graphic view camera, a Nikon film slr's, a Holga, and a Nikon D300 digital slr. I enjoy making new photography friends. Please feel free to email me.
My film-based process involves recording photographs onto black/white or color film, developing the negatives, scanning them, and then doing minimal post-processing on them with Photoshop. For 4x5 film, typical scans are in the 80-100 megapixel range. Over time, I find myself doing less and less post-processing in Photoshop, since my goal is to achieve the desired result "in camera only".
All photos on integrity_of_light's flickr site are copyrighted by Scott Speck (Integrity of Light). Any use or distribution of these photos without the photographer's expressed, explicit permission is in violation of copyright.
If you are interested in purchasing a print of any of my works or being personally photographed through the pinhole camera, please write to me, either here on flickr or at my email address (email@example.com), and you can also order prints of my work, both framed and unframed, through My ImageKind gallery.
- Visions on Film 496 photos, 39 members
- Arizona Architecture 3,151 photos, 208 members
- Arizona Missions 790 photos, 103 members
- Bokeh charging station 329 photos, 111 members
- Iperfocal 247 photos, 21 members
- Up Architecture 1,530 photos, 106 members
- The Knight and his Princess (Admins invite only) P 1 - A/C 1 37,090 photos, 3,132 members
- PinholePhotography 29 photos, 8 members
- Wheehamcams 337 photos, 23 members
- Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC Circular Fisheye 693 photos, 123 members
- Women natural beauty - hate studio photography! 351 photos, 93 members
- You are woman, you are beautiful, let the world see you 60,026 photos, 3,572 members
- Street Photography Worldwide 4,681 photos, 376 members
- Das Monströse | The Monstrous 115 photos, 48 members
- Die Heiterkeit | The Serene 240 photos, 101 members
- Das Diffuse | The Nebulous 153 photos, 63 members
- Das Menschliche | The Human 274 photos, 95 members
- Das Unheimliche | The Eerie 183 photos, 78 members
- Die Wirrnis | The Chaotic 117 photos, 60 members
- Die Ewigkeit | The Eternal 233 photos, 88 members
- Die Verlockung | The Tempting 131 photos, 58 members
- Land Empire 1,145 photos, 1,363 members
- Science Fiction Unleashed 26,020 photos, 2,565 members
- Science Fiction 14,075 photos, 1,207 members
- Science Fiction Art 5,821 photos, 743 members
- Farnsworth House 14 photos, 16 members
- Light Painting Community 3,697 photos, 344 members
- Soniagallery black✰white 2,258 photos, 268 members
- ROBOTS: technology + pop culture 15,041 photos, 3,519 members
- The Large Format Pinhole Group 2,334 photos, 340 members
- The Alternative Photographer 883 photos, 36 members
- Clouds, Storms, Sunsets & Sunrises 122,459 photos, 8,757 members
- Landscapes*ARE*NOT*boring 401 photos, 107 members
- People through a pinhole 1,935 photos, 147 members
- The Artist Interview Nook 92 photos, 210 members
- ·ISO· 2,009 photos, 367 members
- *Hendermith Club* Only Portraits 9,724 photos, 964 members
- Large Format Color 2,658 photos, 348 members
- Group with Ҽxperience 1,303,972 photos, 200,577 members
- Pinwide 2,077 photos, 351 members
- Corset 4,828 photos, 1,846 members
- foto fija 51 photos, 12 members
- "MASTERPIECES ON BLACK" (post 1 / award 1) 30,059 photos, 2,361 members
- I shoot paper 2,268 photos, 461 members
- Vintage Photographs and Genealogy 533 photos, 126 members
- Fine Art & Gothic Botanical Portraiture 7,958 photos, 468 members
- Monsters and beauties in the world of insects 7,339 photos, 1,211 members
- Perfection in Pictures 292 photos, 84 members
- Portraits On Film 8,486 photos, 1,988 members
- Large Format Portrait 4,956 photos, 908 members
"After following your work on Flickr for the past few years, I’ve both learned from you and been inspired, too…and I am always awed and humbled by your contributions…
I’ll leave it to others to opine on the technical aspects of form, process or content… I only know what evokes emotion in me, and your photographs never fail to arouse my senses, many times in ways I wouldn’t have expected…
Your photostream represents the artistic continuum of a poetic and keenly observant soul, challenging my preconceptions of beauty and reality…
“See it my way”, you seem to say…and we do…
Your willingness to accept criticism, even from a novice such as myself, is refreshing and selfless..."
21st March, 2011
"Scott, a master pinholer, an inspiration. Love your work and the fact that you know who's the REAL BOSS! :-)"
2nd December, 2010
"Un maestro della fotografia stenopeica."
9th November, 2010
D J0HNS0N says:
"A true inspiration for pinhole photography!"
26th October, 2010
"I am in a constant state of awe and wonder at Scott's stupendous stream! He makes me want to tackle pinhole photography, but I fear I shall never reach such great heights. A true master and inspiration."
21st February, 2010
"I first saw Scott’s photographs on f295 three years ago and my recollection of my first viewing was that yes, in this fellow’s hand, images of the mundane do become remarkable photographs.
Since then I have observed, studied and admired his work; like me, he was not a formally trained artist but more of a product of the applied sciences. His higher degrees in science and math are impressive and I think they are reflected in his superior skills in interpreting the architectural structural details so well portrayed in his pinhole photographs. At the other end of the spectrum, his portraits show an exceptional dramatic flare. The perfect control and understanding of short focal length pinhole results in striking photographs that we all have admired.
Well, since first seeing his work we have become valued friends but, regretfully, we have never personally met. This is a situation that I intend to correct soon. The reason is that I need to know “where does he stands when he takes a shot?“ After all, if I can quote the real master, A. Adams, “photography is all about knowing where you should stand”."
22nd January, 2010
"Scott's work with his pinhole is absolutely amazing, nothing short of really inspirational.
I got my own and emailed him shortly afterward and wanted to know where the viewfinder was!
this is when i realised just how amazing the art of composing a pinhole shot truly is.
Scott is a thorough talent, and in all aspects, an artist. Excellent stream my friend. :)"
20th January, 2010
The Cassandra Project says:
"i was hooked from the first moment i stumbled across your photostream. both your pinhole work and your digital images are inspirational. it's probably only embarrassment that keeps me from automatically faving all your pictures."
20th January, 2010
"IOL is my very first poked contact and my Flickr's "first love" - although he ruined my (photo) life
- that unfortunate day when I saw his unique style and his masterpieces :'(
He is undoubtely a Pinhole Wizzard of this pages and there's no other PH master (known to me) like he is
I have no idea how the bell is he doing IT, and that's why I hate him! :)
SCOTT FOR PRESIDENT! + Keep up the good work, again, and again, and again... :))"
18th March, 2009
1st December, 2008
"With Scott not only have I met a great photographer but made a wonderful friend too. His pinhole camera work is really amazing and a walk through his photostream is a real pleasure. A wonderful series of pictures, captured with detail and precision.
16th May, 2008
tif photography says:
"I am constantly in awe at the the talent this man has! he captures moments like no one else! I envy his eye!"
8th January, 2008
mystical child says:
"a fabulous photographer, Scott takes the everyday and skews it in just the right way so i explore something deeper in myself through his vision. he captures things the way i wish i did and inspires me to something different... unusual.. out of the box in my own vision.... i find myself looking at things through his eyes, so to speak and discovering something i'd missed before.
he honestly encourages and supports others and that is always an added bonus in someone to admire professionally :)"
29th December, 2007
""Scott brings a new perspective in photography. He always has someting nice to say when he comments and always makes sure he gets back with you on comments its a pleasure to have him here on flickr. I view his stream on a daily basis and it's rejuvenating to see. He puts his feelings into each photo and that's what makes him different from other photographers. I am glad to be a flickr friend to him and part of his world on flickr.""
6th June, 2007
"integrity_of_light is a flickr treasure! His eye adds more than I can say to the world around us."
7th April, 2007
Florida Dave says:
"You have a wonderful eye for detail. You have so many pic on here that I really like and enjoy looking at. You have so many of them that it would take a couple of days for me to comment. So this is the best way I know how to tell you that I really enjoy your work. Thank you for sharing these Pic David"
11th February, 2007
- Scott Speck
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Fine Art Photography by Scott Speck