The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (5)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 131 photos, 48 members
- Victorian Hotels 68 photos, 13 members
- British Royal Families 4,038 photos, 311 members
- Cities and people 476 photos, 82 members
- ShutterStreet 1,418 photos, 427 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 554 photos, 62 members
- Historical Places - 13,854 photos, 1,310 members
- Portrait of society 519 photos, 274 members
- PLYM Magazine 51,358 photos, 2,964 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,652 photos, 96 members
- Wharves around the World 1,129 photos, 86 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 9,890 photos, 1,302 members
- Vintage Fun 604 photos, 50 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 436 photos, 307 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,301 photos, 89 members
- Women in Aviation 28 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 2,203 photos, 459 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 3,578 photos, 267 members
- Weather Worldwide 21,081 photos, 1,396 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 6,543 photos, 607 members
- Vintage pics 12,564 photos, 333 members
- This Vintage Life 1,500 photos, 46 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 42,174 photos, 2,829 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 6 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 5,252 photos, 231 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 59,183 photos, 523 members
- Natural Ice Formations 2,442 photos, 811 members
- Best Pictures of The World 20,669 photos, 1,048 members
- ccarbon ccopy 473 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 10,076 photos, 987 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,476 photos, 205 members
- All beautiful shots 3,145 photos, 286 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 4,928 photos, 403 members
- Latent Beauty 526 photos, 81 members
- Industrial! 7,585 photos, 556 members
- A Black and White World 18,479 photos, 325 members
- If its Not Punk its Junk 741 photos, 157 members
- Australian Railway and Tram Photographers 3,357 photos, 26 members
- !Your Best Animal Photo ~~Award 2 42,742 photos, 2,695 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,862 members
- Objects-Nesneler (New) 3,769 photos, 401 members
- Awesome Photoss 844 photos, 117 members
- when I fall in love ... 309 photos, 98 members
- Photo is my inspiration *Foto é a minha inspiraçao* P1/C2 10,627 photos, 591 members
- Fantastic Photography [1 post 2 awards] 8,015 photos, 356 members
- INFLUENZA 3 photos, 35 members
- Molto Bella 7,551 photos, 1,008 members
- hayvanlar(animals) 1,373 photos, 302 members
- BOMBEIROS * FIREFIGHTERS 2,932 photos, 336 members
- water reflections... 1,597 photos, 311 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
4th October, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales