The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (8)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 230 photos, 56 members
- Victorian Hotels 144 photos, 22 members
- British Royal Families 5,216 photos, 323 members
- Cities and people 905 photos, 93 members
- ShutterStreet 2,780 photos, 415 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 568 photos, 65 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 17,562 photos, 1,299 members
- Portrait of society 879 photos, 283 members
- PLYM Magazine 72,485 photos, 3,195 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,884 photos, 104 members
- Wharves around the World 1,705 photos, 106 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 12,176 photos, 1,403 members
- Vintage Fun 857 photos, 53 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 815 photos, 301 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,486 photos, 93 members
- Women in Aviation 29 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 2,992 photos, 496 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 5,152 photos, 285 members
- Weather Worldwide 28,215 photos, 1,609 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 8,833 photos, 1,020 members
- Vintage pics 17,298 photos, 374 members
- This Vintage Life 1,756 photos, 45 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 48,551 photos, 2,869 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 6 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 6,751 photos, 254 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 62,381 photos, 524 members
- Natural Ice Formations 2,599 photos, 820 members
- Best Pictures of The World 26,970 photos, 1,133 members
- ccarbon ccopy 471 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 11,144 photos, 988 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,539 photos, 209 members
- All beautiful shots 4,151 photos, 286 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 4,919 photos, 398 members
- Latent Beauty 542 photos, 79 members
- Industrial! 8,424 photos, 565 members
- A Black and White World 21,535 photos, 338 members
- If its Not Punk its Junk 814 photos, 167 members
- Australian Railway and Tram Photographers 4,970 photos, 39 members
- !Your Best Animal Photo ~~Award 2 55,946 photos, 3,308 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,698 members
- Objects-Nesneler (New) 3,757 photos, 398 members
- Awesome Photoss 866 photos, 116 members
- when I fall in love ... 318 photos, 97 members
- Photo is my inspiration *Foto é a minha inspiraçao* P1/C2 12,323 photos, 638 members
- Fantastic Photography [1 post 2 awards] 9,111 photos, 351 members
- INFLUENZA 3 photos, 35 members
- Molto Bella 9,027 photos, 1,119 members
- hayvanlar(animals) 1,450 photos, 299 members
- BOMBEIROS * FIREFIGHTERS 2,943 photos, 348 members
- water reflections... 1,829 photos, 314 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
4th October, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales