I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- Views: 3000 9,278 photos, 3,950 members
- Comet ISON 142 photos, 228 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 173,362 photos, 5,187 members
- Canon - Aviation 78,464 photos, 608 members
- Warbirds 79,322 photos, 2,750 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 39,298 photos, 1,249 members
- Pilots' Lounge 97,104 photos, 1,276 members
- WW II 33,534 photos, 2,710 members
- Aviation 324,640 photos, 10,637 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 18,855 photos, 1,801 members
- APOD Submissions 1,050 photos, 145 members
- Supermoon 2013 446 photos, 280 members
- Canon 7D Digital SLR 355,998 photos, 10,045 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 462 photos, 168 members
- Canon EOS 7D 138,006 photos, 3,314 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 316,871 photos, 8,998 members
- Dachshund 45,213 photos, 3,357 members
- Views: 2000 23,387 photos, 6,366 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 359 photos, 70 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 7,526 photos, 164 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,170 photos, 1,186 members
- GRAAA 181 photos, 9 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,201 photos, 309 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 2,560 photos, 114 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 3,690 photos, 480 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 508,989 photos, 32,787 members
- Woodpeckers 9,282 photos, 1,320 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,547 photos, 171 members
- Squirrel Photography 26,288 photos, 4,438 members
- Views: 1750 5,840 photos, 2,610 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 2,180 photos, 1,212 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 76,211 photos, 1,587 members
- International Observe the Moon Night 2011 256 photos, 35 members
- Universe Today 13,075 photos, 1,035 members
- Lake Michigan 23,893 photos, 1,448 members
- Deer 43,655 photos, 6,182 members
- The Whitetail Deer 13,306 photos, 1,292 members
- Canon Powershot SX10/20/30 IS 38,506 photos, 949 members
- Puppy Love 46,349 photos, 5,546 members
- Just Puppies! 34,176 photos, 4,658 members
- In the name of DOG!! (NO LIMITS) 53,255 photos, 2,175 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 843,182 photos, 107,578 members
- Views: 1500 12,184 photos, 4,672 members
- Butterflies of Eastern USA 15,089 photos, 1,581 members
- Butterfly Beauty 104,758 photos, 10,152 members
- Observatories 3,735 photos, 673 members
- Astronomers Talk 10,996 photos, 1,511 members
- Sky 207,121 photos, 13,108 members
- Tonight's Moon 4,492 photos, 690 members
- Astronomy, Stars, Planets and Space 18,260 photos, 2,031 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)