I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- Comet ISON 144 photos, 234 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 168,076 photos, 5,141 members
- Canon - Aviation 68,381 photos, 587 members
- Warbirds 79,046 photos, 2,717 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 41,034 photos, 1,244 members
- Pilots' Lounge 93,548 photos, 1,260 members
- WW II 32,571 photos, 2,684 members
- Aviation 310,080 photos, 10,380 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 18,390 photos, 1,788 members
- APOD Submissions 761 photos, 120 members
- Supermoon 2013 438 photos, 280 members
- Canon 7D Digital SLR 343,861 photos, 9,961 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 464 photos, 170 members
- Canon EOS 7D 126,882 photos, 3,168 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 293,555 photos, 8,576 members
- Dachshund 45,035 photos, 3,330 members
- Views: 2000 19,682 photos, 6,169 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 304 photos, 63 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 6,890 photos, 161 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,181 photos, 1,185 members
- GRAAA 182 photos, 9 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,101 photos, 303 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 2,188 photos, 110 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 3,238 photos, 431 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 482,443 photos, 31,749 members
- Woodpeckers 8,773 photos, 1,264 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,479 photos, 161 members
- Squirrel Photography 24,653 photos, 4,275 members
- Views: 1750 4,454 photos, 2,504 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 1,860 photos, 1,073 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 76,128 photos, 1,588 members
- International Observe the Moon Night 2011 256 photos, 35 members
- Universe Today 11,253 photos, 917 members
- Lake Michigan 23,168 photos, 1,422 members
- Deer 42,199 photos, 6,042 members
- The Whitetail Deer 13,130 photos, 1,282 members
- Canon Powershot SX10/20/30 IS 36,948 photos, 949 members
- Puppy Love 46,422 photos, 5,526 members
- Just Puppies! 34,216 photos, 4,669 members
- In the name of DOG!! (NO LIMITS) 54,603 photos, 2,160 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 818,664 photos, 103,264 members
- Views: 1500 9,234 photos, 4,511 members
- Butterflies of Eastern USA 14,852 photos, 1,582 members
- Butterfly Beauty 102,744 photos, 10,113 members
- Observatories 3,663 photos, 662 members
- Astronomers Talk 10,270 photos, 1,481 members
- Sky 201,015 photos, 12,861 members
- Tonight's Moon 4,375 photos, 686 members
- Astronomy, Stars, Planets and Space 17,014 photos, 1,973 members
- Harvest Moon & Autumnal Equinox 246 photos, 77 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)