I am Associate Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
An Associate Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (4)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 2,841 photos, 349 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 11,861 photos, 3,616 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 2,649 photos, 233 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 29,050 photos, 1,007 members
- D D D 5,188 photos, 126 members
- Stereophotography 47,803 photos, 2,392 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,029 photos, 1,422 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 223,308 photos, 21,003 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 744 photos, 40 members
- CityScape Dunedin 423 photos, 18 members
- Dunedin 2,788 photos, 168 members
- Bad Signs 21,786 photos, 3,990 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 34,635 photos, 1,408 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 573 photos, 83 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,647 photos, 121 members
- Jumping Project 49,764 photos, 28,070 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,700 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 214 members
- Diagrams 2,133 photos, 588 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,451 photos, 428 members
- environmentally friendly 1,537 photos, 438 members
- Sustainability for all 123 photos, 50 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,479,650 photos, 68,915 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 42,285 photos, 2,328 members
- Pop Up Cards 735 photos, 206 members
- Paper Pop Ups 677 photos, 93 members
- Museum Labels 164 photos, 83 members
- Melbourne Museum 360 photos, 92 members
- Little Museums 5,497 photos, 130 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 4,575 photos, 197 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 1,812 photos, 348 members
- Interactive Media 261 photos, 63 members
- Museum of London 915 photos, 270 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,728 photos, 330 members
- Science Museum - London 6,791 photos, 679 members
- Avant-Garden 22,991 photos, 2,387 members
- Dunedin Street Art 630 photos, 56 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: