I am Associate Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
An Associate Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
- Photographers and Their Subjects 2,620 photos, 316 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 11,088 photos, 3,454 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 2,260 photos, 222 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 28,051 photos, 993 members
- D D D 5,696 photos, 122 members
- Stereophotography 43,703 photos, 2,319 members
- Earth Hour 2010 3,937 photos, 1,434 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 192,036 photos, 19,735 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 745 photos, 39 members
- CityScape Dunedin 429 photos, 19 members
- Dunedin 2,621 photos, 158 members
- Bad Signs 21,954 photos, 4,004 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 32,214 photos, 1,411 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 511 photos, 80 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,362 photos, 118 members
- Jumping Project 47,867 photos, 24,335 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 199 photos, 12,588 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 197 members
- Diagrams 2,024 photos, 577 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,412 photos, 419 members
- environmentally friendly 1,557 photos, 439 members
- Sustainability for all 131 photos, 50 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,536,785 photos, 65,692 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 41,648 photos, 2,295 members
- Pop Up Cards 704 photos, 199 members
- Paper Pop Ups 651 photos, 92 members
- Museum Labels 165 photos, 80 members
- Melbourne Museum 361 photos, 88 members
- Little Museums 5,154 photos, 130 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 3,452 photos, 164 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 1,694 photos, 328 members
- Interactive Media 241 photos, 65 members
- Museum of London 915 photos, 264 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,506 photos, 309 members
- Science Museum - London 6,501 photos, 663 members
- Avant-Garden 22,934 photos, 2,385 members
- Dunedin Street Art 645 photos, 58 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: