Starting immediately, we're looking for an experienced and motivated MySQL DBA to join our San Francisco-based technical team.
Flickr's databases comprise one of the largest sharded MySQL systems in the industry. You'll be at the front lines of the Flickr experience, ensuring that our services are scalable and resilient to failure. You'll also be exploring opportunities to improve performance and capacity and you'll find yourself leading projects critical to scaling the Flickr photo experience.
We have a track record of innovation to build on and a strong desire to radically improve Flickr, both for new users and casual visitors as well as the power users who form the core of the community. There's a tremendously long list of new features, programs and technologies set to come online this year. If you've ever wanted to a chance to have a big impact (Flickr has 80+ million users and 7+ billion photos), this is it.
- Work with engineers on performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning.
- Monitor databases for problems and to diagnose where those problems are.
- Work with senior engineers to maintain a scalable, reliable, and robust database environment.
- Build database tools and scripts to automate where possible.
- Test and improve backup and restore processes.
- Prototype and test new system images including MySQL, Linux and different hardware configurations
- Support MySQL databases for production and development.
- Maintain a runbook for 1st-line DBA and operations team.
- Provide 24x7 2nd tier on-call support.
Requirements & Education:
- 3-4+ years MySQL experience.
- 2+ years of experience as a MySQL DBA in a high traffic, transactional environment.
- 2+ years of experience with data sharding.
- 2+ years working in a LAMP environment, particularly PHP/MySQL combination.
- Proficient with database performance strategies.
- Proficient tuning MySQL processes and queries.
- Experience in administration of InnoDB
- Experience with MySQL Replication, with both Master-Slave and Master-Master replication.
- Ability to work cooperatively with software engineers and system administrators.
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional problem-solving expertise and attention to detail.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
Bonus Points For:
- MySQL on SSD experience.
- Experience with multi-datacenter MySQL replication.
- Experience working in a social media or UGC environment.
We smile on those who already have deep experience with Flickr and photography: include a link to your photostream if you have one.
This is a regular/full time position, based in our San Francisco office.