About Vintage Christmas: 1945-1970
I adore the Christmas season ... one of the notable exceptions to my characteristic cynicism is my love of Christmas decor, music, and traditions. As I am a graphic designer, I don't mind the commercialism, I love it! That is, when it's done well. And as far as I'm concerned, it was never done better than in mid-century America.
Here is a place for you to post all things vintage – and retro – that are Christmas-related. TIME PERIOD 1940-1975 (from that period or reminiscent of that period).
Some of what fits here includes:
• Images of vintage or retro decorations,
• Vintage Christmas-related photos,
• Vintage Christmas-themed ads,
• Vintage Christmas cards (choose only your favorite!),
• Vintage Christmas-themed children's book illustrations,
• Vintage Christmas craft book illos/photos,
• Vintage Christmas album covers,
• Photos of your own collection of old or retro decorations,
• Images of any retro-inspired Christmas crafting you have done
• Images of any vintage Christmas-specific clothing or linens you own (aprons! tablecloths! tea towels!),
• Scans of your best vintage or retro Christmas wrap,
• Scans from vintage Christmas decor or idea mags.
There are surely other items I haven't included ... any nifty Christmas-related ephemera is game. Please make sure that the item is from roughly 1940-1975, or is consciously mimicking a style from that period. I'm not a purist, just trying to create a certain type of image bank, here.
• Post as much and as often as you like.
• No image may be downloaded for reproduction (via print or web) without express permission from the individual poster.
• You may only post vintage images that you have personally collected from original vintage source material (not from recently-published compendia of vintage images).
• If you post images of retro commercial art from recent seasons (e.g. when CSA Design did Target's holiday campaign a few years ago), you're likely better off posting "snapshots", rather than hi-res scans. We want to show what's neat, but not step on anyone's toes.
This is a public group.
- Accepted media types:
- Accepted content types:
- Photos / Videos
- Screenshots / Screencasts
- Illustration/Art / Animation/CGI
- Accepted safety levels: