Group DescriptionAS OF TUESDAY, JANUARY 29, ALL WINNERS HAVE BEEN CONTACTED VIA FLICKRMAIL. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR FLICKRMAIL TO SEE IF YOU HAVE WON AND FOR INFORMATION ON NEXT STEPS. Winning entries will be posted on newyorker.com on Monday, February 4.
To see all contest entires, click on the “Pool,” “See all photos,” or “More photos” link above.
Visit www.newyorker.com/go/tilley for more information and complete contest rules.
Eustace Tilley appeared on our first cover, in 1925, and has returned for nearly every anniversary issue since. Create your own version of The New Yorker’s iconic dandy for a chance to be featured on newyorker.com in celebration of our 83rd anniversary next month.
To enter, upload a jpeg of your interpretation of Eustace Tilley, at a minimum resolution of 72 dpi. Maximum file size is 1 megabyte. There is a limit of five entries per person/per e-mail address.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY JANUARY 24, 2008, AT 9 A.M. EASTERN TIME.
NOTE: You must agree to be bound by this contest’s Official Rules, including the transfer of any copyright interest in your submission, before submitting a contest entry.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTERING:
1) Set up a (free) Flickr account if you don't already have one.
2) Join this group.
3) Agree to contest and group rules.
4) Upload your entry to your account.
5) On the photo menu above your entry, you'll see a "Send to Group" link. Choose "The New Yorker's Eustace Tilley Contest, 2008."
6) Your image will be posted to the group for all to see.
NOTE: If you find that your entry is not showing up in the pool when you're not logged in, or that other users who aren't logged in can't see your entry (and you want them to be able to), please check your own account settings under "Privacy & Permissions" and make sure that you've made your photos available for public viewing. If you do not wish to share them with the public, that's fine; we (and anyone else who's logged in) can still see your entry.
Group Rules“THE NEW YORKER’S EUSTACE TILLEY CONTEST” OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST.
A purchase will not improve chances of winning.
CONSUMER DISCLOSURE: You have not yet won.
OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY.
By entering this Promotion, entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
1. PROMOTION PERIOD. Promotion begins January 7, 2008, 12 a.m. Eastern Time and ends January 24, 2008, 9 a.m. Eastern Time, when all entries must be received (“Promotion Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY. This contest (the “Promotion”) is only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, members, shareholders, and employees of the Sponsor, the judging organization (if applicable), or any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household as such individuals. This Promotion is void outside the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited.
4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. All entries will be judged on or about January 24, 2008 (the “Judging Date”) by a panel of judges comprised of three New Yorker magazine editors and contributors. The judges will score entries based on the following criteria: humor (50%), execution (25%), and originality (25%). The entries with the highest overall scores will be declared the potential winners (in the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score in the originality criteria will prevail). Any potential winner will be notified by e-mail or telephone within 48 hours of the end of the promotion period. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within 48 hours of the time the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her, and/or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to win the Promotion or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner may be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Promotion, including without limitation the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, such individual will be declared a “winner” of the Promotion.
5. PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be up to twenty (20) winner(s). The prize is publication on newyorker.com to coincide with the magazine’s eighty-third anniversary issue. The approximate retail value of the prize is $0.
7. TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner’s sole responsibility.
8. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. All entry materials become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Entrant agrees that the submission shall be a work-made-for-hire within the meaning of the Copyright Act, and that Condé Nast Publications shall own all rights, including copyright, therein throughout the world. In the event any submission is deemed not to be work-made-for-hire for any reason, Entrant hereby transfers and assigns the entire copyright (for the full term of copyright including any extensions thereto) throughout the world, in any and all media and forms of publication, reproduction, transmission, distribution, performance, adaptation, enhancement or display now in existence or hereafter developed in such Submission to Condé Nast Publications. Entry into this Promotion constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation or attribution, to use such Submission for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration of the copyright in the Submission. Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission. Entrant acknowledges that The New Yorker holds the copyright, trademark and other intellectual property rights in Eustace Tilley, and that entrant will not violate or infringe on these rights in any way. The New Yorker grants entrant a non-exclusive, limited license to use the image of Eustace Tilley only for the purpose of creating a submission for the contest.
9. NO PRIZE TRANSFER OR SUBSTITUTION. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. Any portion of the prize that is not used is forfeited. No substitutions for prize except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
10. CONSENT AND RELEASE. By entering the Promotion, each entrant releases and discharges the Sponsor, judging organization (if applicable), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”), from any and all liability whatsoever in connection with this Promotion, including without limitation legal claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages, demands or actions of any kind (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction or property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other personal or property rights of any party or any other intellectual property related cause of action) (collectively, “Claims”). Except where prohibited: (i) acceptance of a prize constitutes the consent of any winner, without further compensation, to use the name and likeness of such winner and his/her Submission for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor; (ii) acceptance of a prize constitutes a release by any winner of the Sponsor Entities of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Promotion and the use, misuse, or possession of his/her Submission or any prize; (iii) any potential winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility (including social security number) and a transfer of copyright/liability and publicity release. Affidavits and releases must be returned within forty-eight (48) hours of the time that Sponsor first tries to notify the potential winner. If winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the prize will be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian who must execute the necessary affidavit and release.
11. DISCLAIMERS. (i) Entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at Sponsor’s servers or elsewhere, will not be eligible. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. (ii) Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Web site. Use of bots or other automated process to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of Sponsor. (iii) Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Promotion if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical failures of any sort. (iv) Sponsor Entities are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may modify or cancel this Promotion based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability. (v) SPONSOR ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. (vi) CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
12. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Promotion will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in New York, New York. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of New York and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of New York. All judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Promotion and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
13. WINNER LIST. For a list containing the name(s) of the winner(s), send a self-addressed stamped envelope, within six (6) months of the Judging Date, to: Winner List, “The Eustace Tilley Contest,” The New Yorker, 4 Times Square, 20th Floor, New York, NY 10036.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe