About NFB OUT MY WINDOW PARTICIPATE
As a companion to our award winning interactive web documentary OUT MY WINDOW, we are soliciting participation from people around the world to contribute their own photographs and stories about where they live or have spent time.
There seems to be a stereotype image of the highrise building as a lifeless concrete slab or an after-thought littering the skyline of cities. One of our goals is to use photography and the stories they contain to counter these perceptions and demonstrate the diversity and life that resides in highrises.
To aid in accomplishing this, we invite you to submit your photos to this group of views outside your highrise window(s) and also write a little story to accompany them. Submissions to this group will be presented in a beautifully designed external website that will showcase every photo and their accompanying stories.
We will select the best photos and feature them as photo-of-the-week on our main page at highrise.nfb.ca. If you’ve made a significant contribution to the group and we are interested in knowing more about your work, we might contact you to do an in-depth interview that will be featured in our director’s blog!
Please read the submission guidelines below for more details.
OUT MY WINDOW (http://highrise.nfb.ca/outmywindow) is one of the world’s first interactive 360º documentaries. Produced by the award-winning National Film Board of Canada (NFB), directed by Katerina Cizek and delivered entirely on the web, it explores the state of our urban planet told by people who look out on the world from highrise windows. It is one of the first major projects in HIGHRISE, a multi-year, multi-media, collaborative documentary experiment about the human experience in global vertical suburbs.
The HIGHRISE project has been receiving a lot of critical acclaim in the news and festivals across the globe. You can read about some of the project mentions at: highrise.nfb.ca/mentions.
WINNER – Digital Storytelling Award – 2010 International Documentary Festival Amsterdam
WINNER – 2011 BakaForum Cross-Media Prize for School and Youth Education
WINNER – 2011 International Digital Emmy Award
WINNER – 2011 One World New Media Award
NOMINEE – The 2010 BT Vision Sheffield Innovation Award
NOMINEE – 2011 Webby Awards for Best Use of Photography
We are interested in photos that show the view out of your window, preferably if you live in a highrise building (5 floors and above) or the view out of a highrise window you have visited. In addition, we would like you to write a little story (1-3 sentences) to accompany the photo. This adds a personal touch to your image and shares with the world your unique perspective about what it means to you. The stories will also increase the chances of your photo being selected for the photo-of-the-week feature!
To help you with writing the kind of stories we are looking for, we've come up with a questionnaire which you can use and then apply to your photos:
1. Why is this particular photo special? Why did you take it?
2. When you look out your window what do you see and feel?
3. Can you tell us something about your view? (location, history, significance)
4. Does the view out of your window remind of you of anything? What memories do you associate it with?
5. Do you look out of your window often? What do you focus on and why?
All the rules that apply to flickr will apply to this group and its display in our NFB site and you can remove them at any time. The photos will also link back to your flickr profile to credit your work. The NFB will will not own the photos. We will simply create an interface where your photos can be prominently displayed along with your story/description of the photos. We are also primarily interested in views out windows that are 6 storeys and above. The group will be moderated so not all of your images may be selected, but we encourage you to submit multiple photos.
1. The photos and description you submit will be moderated and may not be accepted into this group. But we encourage you to submit more!
2. If the photos are accepted, they will be displayed in our NFB Out My Window Participate website in a customized format viewable at url:
3. The National Film Board of Canada will not use the photos for any other purpose than stated.
4. You can leave the group or remove your photos at any time.
5. By joining this group you give us permission to display your photo in the NFB Out My Window Participate website. For more information on the NFB and its policies in this regard, visit www.nfb.ca/about/important-notices/
6. If we select your submission as a “photo-of-the-week” feature in our main page at highrise.nfb.ca, we will contact you to get your official permission.
This is a public group.
- View the group rules.
- Accepted media types:
- Accepted content types:
- Accepted safety levels: