blueachilles 8:48pm, 25 November 2007
I've just posted some photos of this; I have yet to put the track back on the boat, but won't be able to get down to Cornwall til after Christmas.

Long list of other jobs still to do, on bits I have brought home.
busy home [deleted] 11 years ago
Are you sure it wont weigh the stern down?
Looks very strong!
blueachilles 11 years ago
No heavier than the original set up, and a lot nicer to use. Strong is good!
Skykomish E29 11 years ago
looks a great job and thanks for the posting just the sort of thing the site needs
admin
NormanKlipspringer Posted 11 years ago. Edited by NormanKlipspringer (admin) 11 years ago
I have just adapted my old mainsheet traveller (on the cheap) using some small blocks and shackles bought at a boat jumble.
Mainsheet traveller

Mainsheet traveller blocks

Mainsheet traveller end block and cleat
busy home [deleted] 11 years ago
As we said before Norm has short arms and deep pockets.
( hence tiller extension)
derek.oboyle 9 years ago
Does anybody know the diameter of the orignal mainsheet track?
blueachilles 9 years ago
See pictures uploaded to group. The track is 7/8" square.

Hope this helps.

Rod
derek.oboyle 9 years ago
Hi
Thanks for the info. Sorry I used this reference discussion - my question referred too the orignal tube. I think my tube is 1 1/4", but I am not sure?
blueachilles 9 years ago
The pictures have just posted are of the original - or so I assumed. Not a tube!

The pictures Norman posted above are of the original.
busy home [deleted] 9 years ago
Derek is probably refering to to early chrome tube type ie like Snow Goosees.. I will measure it when I go down next..
busy home [deleted] 9 years ago
Chrome tube 7/8 in o/d..
matthewA750 6 years ago
I have the original mainsheet traveller - over the aft end of the cockpit square s/s box section dropped straight down through square holes in the deck and 'x' section track above.
It (like many other things!) leaks. I've put mastic (carefully) around it with no luck. Went into the aft locker in the rain yesterday with a torch to look for leaks and found 6. These are mainly easily solved, but the most problematic were both ends of the mainsheet horse. The whole system doesn't look good as there is no way to compress onto mastic.
Has anyone found out how to stop it leaking reliably, or should I start designing an alternative system?
Thanks
Matthew
rothwell_neil 6 years ago
I had bad leaks through the horse. I took it apart and sikaflexed the track to the square stainless as this was a point of entry. I then seated the horse on Sika and ran a bead of sika round the square section where it came out of the deck. The track joint has never leaked again. Got two years out of the deck seal before had to cut off with scalpel and re do deck seal. Just squeezed round and formed bead with a wet finger. As the horse moves and Chris didn't quite think through the horse attachment point (low point where all the water runs past!) I felt that this job was a simple one to do every couple of years. After resealing all the deck fittings this was the only place I ever used to get water in. As soon as I saw water in bilge time to reseal the horse. I was amazed at how much could come in through a cracked bead round the horse!
matthewA750 6 years ago
Thanks, Neil
Matthew
Groups Beta