busy home [deleted] 9:09pm, 18 November 2007
If I buy a new DSC radio for Goskar but do not connect to GPS can I use it without taking a dsc exam.? I have the old type exam pass.
NormanKlipspringer Posted 11 years ago. Edited by NormanKlipspringer (admin) 11 years ago
Yes, and no one will check on you if you use it in DSC mode either. Connecting to GPS or not is not the only part of DSC use. No one checked on me if I had passed the certificate when I bought my radio. I have passed. Connecting to GPS is the main benefit of having a DSC set since your position will be automatically transmitted and retransmitted automatically if you send a DSC mayday. The other main advantage is that the distress is sent digitally so is much more likely to get through than voice in bad transmission areas. (Much as text messages will often get through when voice fails on mobile phones).
Incidently getting the certificate is not difficult - no one failed on the course I was on. The only issue is price (about £80 I think)
If you don't get an MMSI number from Ofcom you can use the set for voice calls only as on radios of old, but you will be missing out on significant safety advantages.
Skykomish E29 11 years ago
I agree with Norman the DSC upgrade in exam terms I believe is only one day and just entails getting you familiar with how it works. Personally I have never used one but can understand the benefits, one being that on ships an alarm sounds on the radio when a dsc distress message is recieved which I understand is something that cannot be ignored even if you chose to. So in these days of lax watch systems you can be sure your distress will be heard by somebody .
No if I needed to replace the VHF I would have no hesitation.
What suprised me was that when I applied to Offcom for my online licence nobody asked to see my Certificate.
busy home [deleted] 11 years ago
Thanks for that .Puts my mind at rest.
Skykomish E29 11 years ago
mmm so is Santa bringing Ron a new DSC Radio if he is good?
By the way Ron may have some walnut for you when we come down in the spring, as our tree is getting trimmed after Christmas, how much would you like and what size can you handle as at it's thickest part it is about 12 inches across. Any spare is being donated to a friends wood burning stove
busy home [deleted] 11 years ago
Probably I will buy one soon as like you I will be fitting into a hole and need to know the size to cut.
My lathe can turn six ft in dia Yes 6 ft. and three ft long!
Wood turners in your area will buy walnut (ash is best for burning)
Skykomish E29 11 years ago
even dead walnut?
Ok let me know how much you want, and we shall drop it down to you, I take it it turns up nicely?
We will be a bit restricted by weight but you are welcome to whatever we can bring down. I shall be cutting it into lengths so what is a good size for you to work on?
busy home [deleted] 11 years ago
Yes Walnut is nice ,it varies a lot from tree to tree ,soil groth rate etc
Size, If log is less than 6ins dia 12 ins long is good but any convenient length is ok Im going to sound greedy but as much as you can carry safely! Burning walnut is not on!
About to order a Standard Horison 15oo £130 from Marine Super Store
Mike A1 11 years ago
I think the official position is that you need a "new" certificate to allow you to install or use a VHF with a DSC capabilitiy. Whether you connect it to a GPS or make use of the DSC features is irrelevant.

I agree that you are very unlikley to ever be asked but I would certainly want to make sure I had the right paperwork if going outside UK waters.

If someone knows differently please say so since I have not been able to find a definitive answer.
Phil Thomas1 11 years ago
Hi All

I can confirm the DSC test is no real hardship. I did it a few months ago with no probs. I have however not got around to getting the MMSI number and subsequent input to the set and have forgotten what I have to do. MUst be the booze addling the brain. Can anyone remind me? Do I get it through the OFCOM website?

NormanKlipspringer 11 years ago
Yes you get MMSI from Ofcom. I think you can get it on line.
Mike A1 11 years ago
Here is a link to the Ofcom site:

You first need to register on the site and then you can apply for the license.
Groups Beta